Quantcast

World Champs 2020 - Leogang!!

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Wait what? The Cycling Body or the TV station?
TV, News and Radio broadcaster. The BBC (British Broadcasting Corporation)

Not to be confused with the UK's national cycling body British Cycling known as BC. (formerly BCF - British Cycling Federation)

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Watching the ladies XC replay, PFP destroying the field. Random free VPN extension on Edge Chromium pretending to be in Germany.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Sorry for the delay, took me awhile to negotiate with my NBC Universal overlords to publish this in North Murica.

Anyway, World Gravitational Championship are nigh upon us, and because of the bizarro year that is 2020, Leogang of all places is now one of the most technical tracks in recent memory. So let's not fuck about and get to the important pre-race data points:

* Ignaz Semmelweis, a Hungarian doctor who worked at the Vienna General Hospital between 1844 and 1848 figured out washing your hands helps prevent the spread of infectious diseases. But fuck that guy and his Vienna cookie hospital...they didn't realize if you have enough gunz, you can kill any disease (especially very small ones).

* Bulldog > Jesus

* Seemingly, a lot of riders are still riding clips in that space grease morass, which defies my own personal safety policy. I'm assuming 2020 has something to do with this nonsense.

* Fuck that monster step down in particular.

* I'm not sure if I could negotiate that track better on a bike or a snowboard. I would likely die either way, so maybe I'd try mudboarding. Speaking of which, if it does snow, they should have the option of using a snowboard (namely to piss off @kidwoo )

* Fun fact: NBC actually stands for "No Broadcasting Cunts"

* Contrary to what fake history books would have you believe, Canada was originally "settled" (i.e. invaded) by Austria, hence the same flag colors. They just added that red weed leaf because they knew what was in store for the Canucks. This bodes well for one Mr. Iles.

* Leogang was the last race venue won on a strong sized wheel. I can only hope someone will run a mullet 26/29 bike tomorrow and take the top step. #26Rear4Lyfe!

* Negra Modelo is technically a Vienna Lager, which explains the strong seeding result by Angel Suarez.

* Today is "Coming Out Day", which explains some of the more ostentatious kit colorways.

All that may seem like random balderdash, but it provides a clear indication of what will be happening shortly:

3. Aaron Gwin: Despite some recent wayward social media posts, poor seeding result (I mean "gamesmanship"), riding a misaligned frame, living in a desert and lacking an immortal soul, America's (reddish) golden boy recovers his form to take the bronze. After crossing the finish line, he points to the sky and...nah, just kidding, fuck that guy. Let's go with @mykel because he's old, Canadian (and by extension Austrian as mentioned above) and still rides DH like a fuggin boss. Vienna lagers on me my flannel wearing, hockey playing, syrup slurping amigo.

2. Pestilence - that's right, its fucking 2020, so one of the 4 Horsemen of the Apocalypse makes a dramatic maiden voyage into UCI World Cup racing. And let's face it, this guy has been having a helluva year. According to him, one of his best years since 1620 (back when you could get a damn fine Vienna Lager almost anywhere). His ride? Not a pissed off, skeletal horse, but something of similar size and demonic rage: his infection partner par excellence, the orange stallion Donald Trump. Slathering up the BLOTUS with KY jelly and filling his nasal cavities with Adderall, Pestilence blasts thru the track atop his runaway grease boar and easily claims the silver. Oddly, even this guy was wearing a mask when around his trusty steed.

1. The Mad Fucking Bulldog...not much else to say here except Brook is a golden god and it's nice to see race venues take evacuations seriously -

Don't care where he actually finishes, it's simply incredible he's back at it. He's like a slightly faster version of mykel.

Fraus -

1. Marine Caribou: I think if she stays upright, she's still a fair bit faster than Holl.

2. Local viking lady: her time is coming tho

3. My Ozzy mistress: still think she can compete the 2 young lasses, but she's missing me with all these travel restrictions and what not, so not quite focused enough.

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Sorry for the delay, took me awhile to negotiate with my NBC Universal overlords to publish this in North Murica.

Anyway, World Gravitational Championship are nigh upon us, and because of the bizarro year that is 2020, Leogang of all places is now one of the most technical tracks in recent memory. So let's not fuck about and get to the important pre-race data points:

* Ignaz Semmelweis, a Hungarian doctor who worked at the Vienna General Hospital between 1844 and 1848 figured out washing your hands helps prevent the spread of infectious diseases. But fuck that guy and his Vienna cookie hospital...they didn't realize if you have enough gunz, you can kill any disease (especially very small ones).

* Bulldog > Jesus

* Seemingly, a lot of riders are still riding clips in that space grease morass, which defies my own personal safety policy. I'm assuming 2020 has something to do with this nonsense.

* I'm not sure if I could negotiate that track better on a bike or a snowboard. I would likely die either way, so maybe I'd try mudboarding. Speaking of which, if it does snow, they should have the option of using a snowboard (namely to piss off @kidwoo )

* Contrary to what fake history books would have you believe, Canada was originally "settled" (i.e. invaded) by Austria, hence the same flag colors. They just added that red weed leaf because they knew what was in store for the Canucks. This bodes well for one Mr. Iles.

* Leogang was the last race venue won on a strong sized wheel. I can only hope someone will run a mullet 26/29 bike tomorrow and take the top step. #26Rear4Lyfe!

* Negra Modelo is technically a Vienna Lager, which explains the strong seeding result by Angel Suarez.

* Today is "Coming Out Day", which explains some of the more ostentatious kit colorways.

All that may seem like random balderdash, but it provides a clear indication of what will be happening shortly:

3. Aaron Gwin: Despite some recent wayward social media posts, poor seeding result (I mean "gamesmanship"), riding a misaligned frame, living in a desert and lacking an immortal soul, America's (reddish) golden boy recovers his form to take the bronze. After crossing the finish line, he points to the sky and...nah, just kidding, fuck that guy. Let's go with @mykel because he's old, Canadian (and by extension Austrian as mentioned above) and still rides DH like a fuggin boss. Vienna lagers on me my flannel wearing, hockey playing, syrup slurping amigo.

2. Pestilence - that's right, its fucking 2020, so one of the 4 Horsemen of the Apocalypse makes a dramatic maiden voyage into UCI World Cup racing. And let's face it, this guy has been having a helluva year. According to him, one of his best years since 1620 (back when you could a damn fine Vienna Lager almost anywhere). His ride? Not a pissed off, skeletal horse, but something of similar size and demonic rage: his infection partner par excellence, the orange stallion Donald Trump. Slathering up the BLOTUS with KY jelly and filling his nasal cavities with Adderall, Pestilence blasts thru the track atop his runaway grease boar and easily claims the silver. Oddly, even this guy was wearing a mask when around his trusty steed.

1. The Mad Fucking Bulldog...not much else to say here except Brook is a golden god and it's nice to see race venues take evacuations seriously -

Don't care where he actually finishes, it's simply incredible he's back at it. He's like a slightly faster version of mykel.

Fraus -

1. Marine Caribou: I think if she stays upright, she's still a fair bit faster than Holl.

3. My Ozzy mistress: still think she can compete the 2 young lasses, but she's missing me with all these travel restrictions and what not, so not quite focused enough.
If there's one good thing in 2020, this was it.

Can I buy you a beer or twelve?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Was it as brutal as they were saying? The course and conditions that is
No. Not especially brutal. just a bit muddy with the odd steep bit and the odd rooty bit.
kinda like mountain biking is really.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!

* Bulldog > Jesus

2. Pestilence - that's right, its fucking 2020, so one of the 4 Horsemen of the Apocalypse makes a dramatic maiden voyage into UCI World Cup racing. And let's face it, this guy has been having a helluva year. According to him, one of his best years since 1620 (back when you could get a damn fine Vienna Lager almost anywhere). His ride? Not a pissed off, skeletal horse, but something of similar size and demonic rage: his infection partner par excellence, the orange stallion Donald Trump. Slathering up the BLOTUS with KY jelly and filling his nasal cavities with Adderall, Pestilence blasts thru the track atop his runaway grease boar and easily claims the silver. Oddly, even this guy was wearing a mask when around his trusty steed.

Fraus -

Fuck yeah. @binary visions if anything please make sure to save @jackalope 's race predictions for posterity. Outside of the technical discussions they are the best byproduct of the :monkey:.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Was it as brutal as they were saying? The course and conditions that is
Probably slightly slicker conditions for the women, dried a tiny bit more for the men but then they had a little rain come down. Course was big climb, try not to crash on slick rooty descent, big climb, try not to crash on slick rooty descent, 5 times total for the women, 6 for the men.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
TV, News and Radio broadcaster. The BBC (British Broadcasting Corporation)

Not to be confused with the UK's national cycling body British Cycling known as BC. (formerly BCF - British Cycling Federation)
Gary I know what BBC is. BBC Studios (ie. The international, private arm of Public Service) Employs me. I'm just curious about the allegations since they are probably related to pub service and I never heard about them.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Watching the women now. Light snow at the top. Middle woods are a goopy shit show. First woman on track is walking a lot since her wheels cannot spin due to all the mud on them. Gonna be the weirdest race we've had in a long time--thanks 2020.

Also, Vali trying to hit the big creek gap in these conditions is insane.

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
UK 11:30am Womens, 13:30 Mens
Also, Vali trying to hit the big creek gap in these conditions is insane.
What's the story here?
Just tuned in for the final 6 women and Vali is down as a DNS.
did she crash in practice?

@norbar PM me about the BBC

Watching the girls wheels clog. Danny Hart runs the best front mudguard for not clogging in mens.
3X? Who knows?

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
UK 11:30am Womens, 13:30 Mens

What's the story here?
Just tuned in for the final 6 women and Vali is down as a DNS.
did she crash in practice?

@norbar PM me about the BBC

Watching the girls wheels clog. Danny Hart runs the best front mudguard for not clogging in mens.
3X? Who knows?
Vali hit the big creek gap in practice and mildly fractured her ankle. She'll be fine but no race for her today.

Myriam ran flats and it looked like several others did.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Yeah it seems the strategy of going fast doesn't really matter if being the only one without a crash wins the race. A smart decision to ride it safer and just try to carry speed over the problematic sections

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Seemed to me that maintaining a decent level of momentum through that mud was very important. Women that came to a stop got so clogged by sticky space mud that wheels no longer spun and it was game over. Only a few women kept their pace at that level. My guess is the dudes being a bit heavier/stronger and (even more) nuts will cary a bit more pace and this won't be an issue until and unless they crash or wash out.

shelteringsky

Monkey
May 21, 2010
Using "Zenmate" as VPN (Google Chrome extension) for those geographically challenged. 7-day trial period - no credit card details necessary. Just a heads up.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Yes Jack!

is that the first time Mick hasn't done a finish line jump no hander since Stevie's passing ?

:(

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
This entire race is bonkers. What even is this?

Also, it seems more riders thought white was the optimal color choice than I would have anticipated with this being the muddiest race in over a decade. Are jersey colors entirely dictated by the national team, or do they have some say in how the colors are presented?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I know Vali was supposed to be the chosen one from new crop meant to inherit the top spot, but I somehow feel like she got hyped so much it kinda backfired. Reminded me of the Gwin saga.
Or maybe she just had bad luck? Look at the times from seeding. There was only 1 rider within 10 seconds of her. 3 total if you go out to 20 seconds. Don't forget some of her times in jrs would have put her on the podium in elite.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Or maybe she just had bad luck? Look at the times from seeding. There was only 1 rider within 10 seconds of her. 3 total if you go out to 20 seconds. Don't forget some of her times in jrs would have put her on the podium in elite.
I'm not talking about this particular race, but in general. What she went through yesterday was incommensurable bad luck, I really thought she was going to be the new female champion.