Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
guess that depends? I feel like they're suitable for dh, probably a bit heavier weight than some of the stuff people wear regularly in the park or racing in the summer. I get it, they're pricey, but the fit is top notch, great attention to detail, and they're made locally in Vancouver. Personally I'm happy to pay a premium for locally made products at a higher quality than most generic shit, ymmv.
That price seems more than fair if they are made in canada.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
Risse Racing, WTF happened?
Moved to Oregon and set up shop next to a meth lab?

View attachment 177369
Loooovve this frame!!:agree: Especially the robust looking downtube and the way they were able to save weight by slimming down the rear shock eyelet/connector. Such a cool way to adjust the shock length, I wonder why other companies haven't thought of that.

I put a deposit for 3 frames but had to retract when I realized they had sliding dropouts and my wheels wouldn't fit :doh:

(I hope this gets understood as a joke!)

Last edited:

SinatorJ

Monkey
Jul 9, 2002
AZ
So who is gonna prove to be best rimonkey ninja and find the thread that had the Risse crew tagged and decorated by members. Swear it was in the old Frasier days. Seems relevant considering that abomination.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
if you buy a gravel specific bike, you honestly deserve it.

:rofl:
You know whats good about gravel specific bikes? They're not gravel specific. They work on road, off road, on gravel, on dirt and mine even has a dropper. I got one instead of a roadie and you'll never convince me a road bike is better for anything except maybe racing.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
You know whats good about gravel specific bikes? They're not gravel specific. They work on road, off road, on gravel, on dirt and mine even has a dropper. I got one instead of a roadie and you'll never convince me a road bike is better for anything except maybe racing.
Cross bikes 30 years ago.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Nope, no disc brakes then. Cross bikes first became a viable option with disc brakes IMO.
Yeah disc brakes and wider tyre compatibility make them a decent bit more versatile. The roads near my house are murderous with dipshit drivers but there's some good gravel paths in the cane fields and we have a 160km/100 mile railway that has been converted to a gravel path. Plus it has a pub pretty much every 30km along the way.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
What’s yer DH bike these days?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
you'll never convince me a road bike is better for anything except maybe racing.
What does it weigh with road tyres?
And how many long hilly group road rides have you done on it with a bunch of proper roadies?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
And how many long hilly group road rides have you done on it with a bunch of proper roadies?
Weight doesn't matter when you have a beer in the second bottle cage.

And we're mountain bikers, why would we willingly subject ourselves to such cruel and boring punishment like riding up hills in lycra?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
we're mountain bikers
I'm not.
I enjoy riding all sorts of bikes.
why would we willingly subject ourselves to such cruel and boring punishment like riding up hills
What sort of "mountainbiker" are you that you've never ridden up a hill?
in lycra?
and most "mountainbikers" special little uniforms are just as cringe as "roadies" lycra. infact often more so these days.

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
fuck knows.
I clearly wasn't asking you the weight of toodles gravel bike.
Or advice on how best to pose about on your bike showing off your ONE pointless hipster approved craft beer

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
fuck knows.
I clearly wasn't asking you the weight of toodles gravel bike.
Or advice on how best to pose about on your bike showing off your ONE pointless hipster approved craft beer
I don't care what the hipsters think, and it's not pointless if I like it.

also, scotch ale is one of the worst things to be included in the animal kingdom known as beer.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
scotch ale
I'm not sure why that's relevant as it's a bit like complaining that Haggis doesn' taste like a Macdonnald's beef patty. But if you meant Scottish brewed ales, lagers and beers as a whole you'd have to be incredibly inexperienced in sampling our much varied produce.

what I meant by "pointless" was quantity

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I'm not sure why that's relevant as it's a bit like complaining that Haggis doesn' taste like a Macdonnald's beef patty. But if you meant Scottish brewed ales, lagers and beers as a whole you'd have to be incredibly inexperienced in sampling our much varied produce.

what I meant by "pointless" was quantity
I assumed "scotch ale" is a type of beer, because every one I've tried has been sweet and malty. I just looked it up, and it may be a style known as "wee heavy". not my cup of tea.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
When I think Scotch Ale, I think Kiltlifter.

Yes yes, I know, we didn't invent everything...but we think we did.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I assumed "scotch ale" is a type of beer, because every one I've tried has been sweet and malty. I just looked it up, and it may be a style known as "wee heavy". not my cup of tea.
Fair enough. We definitely have enough variety of beers, ales and lagers to here to please you though

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Well its an aluminium frame with a dropper post in it. Maybe like 9kg? I suspect I wouldn't last long trying to keep up doing a long hilly group road ride with a bunch of proper roadies.

Although do you think you could give me a $10,000 full carbon Pinarello with Durace and I would do alright doing a long hilly group ride with a bunch of proper roadies? Because given my barley based liquid carbohydrate intake I'm pretty sure that answer would be the same.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Cheers @toodles 9kg isn't bad TBF. That's, exactly why I asked.
My old carbon TCR is around 7.7kg ready to ride. Super light race bikes like the Canyon Aeroad actually feel pretty horrendous under me. I'm not even in the same postcode as the average weight of a pro road rider though.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Like Slyfink said, what we refer to "Scotch Ale" in Canada (and probably in the US too) is called Wee Heavy in Scotland. It is a fucking abomination, very effective at inducing explosive vomiting within minutes, or Type-2 diabetes for those able to keep it down.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Heavy is just dark ale that's not particularly strong. .
Wee heavy is something altogether different and as you say fucking horrible and that's why pretty much none of us ever actually drink it.