Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Please, pardon my ignorance, but I've always thought ales were just a subtype of beer, and now I'm reading you specifically putting them as a completely different kind of beverage (or that's how I read that sentence). Care to elaborate?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Like Slyfink said, what we refer to "Scotch Ale" in Canada (and probably in the US too) is called Wee Heavy in Scotland. It is a fucking abomination, very effective at inducing explosive vomiting within minutes, or Type-2 diabetes for those able to keep it down.
Ah. So it's the Scottish version of Fosters!
Exactly. Came here to say I assume "Scotch Ale" is something marketers came up with to sell shit. Much like Fosters, no one actually drinks that shit.

To be fair, I'm pre-gaming for the World Cup in a few hours now with what is arguably the worst beer in Australia - XXXX.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Came here to say I assume "Scotch Ale" is something marketers came up with to sell shit.
I'm not sure our brewers really understood "marketing" the way Ridemonkey's tin foil hat brigade do back in the 1800s

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I'm not sure our brewers really understood "marketing" the way Ridemonkey's tin foil hat brigade do back in the 1800s
I don't think you guys call it Scotch Ale tho. Thats just some shit it is labelled as overseas.

I bet if you tried the stuff labelled as "Scotch Ale" in the US you'd be wondering what the hell it was.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Nah. Its been called "scotch ale" since the 1800s too. We have tons of different names for everything in Scotland depending on your upbringing and the particular area you happen to be in. I wouldn't drink the stuff if the entire planet dried out. Whatever it was called.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Last time I was in Scotland I had a nice American Dark Larger-
1654947456390.png

I do like the finger hole they put in the Tennent's six packs, it makes walking and drinking so easy.
I usually drink the beers that proper session drinkers(alcoholics) drink, not the low alcohol hipster spec fruit flavored session beers, or a black beer.
I have no idea what the differences in beers are, if I end up in a hipster beer den I go straight for the draught as it has the highest probability of being paletable.

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I was out in Edinburgh last night and should have taken a video of the bar just to show you guys the sheer variety of draft beers on tap.. Nevermind the bottled stuff.
Polish_20220611_124718638.png

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Different yeasts. Most beers are lagers and are brewed with Saccharomyes pastorianus, while ales are brewed with Saccharomyes cerevisiae.
But that literally said the “difference” is that ale is beer. Grammatically that makes no sense.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
It's only really in the last 20yrs that anyone here referred to lager as a beer. a beer here always meant a darker coloured ale rather than a lager.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Professional shops buying used products of of classifieds/marketplace to do repairs on consumer bicycles.
Unfortunately, these days, that just might be the absolutely only possible way to get a bike back up and running without a six month wait. Or ever, without a complete new grupo, which also could take six months or more.
Parts availability is absolutely brutal right now.
if they didn’t fully disclose this up front to the customer is another matter.

Last edited:

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Professional shops buying used products of of classifieds/marketplace to do repairs on consumer bicycles.
Welcome to the pandemic third world country life! This has been happening since maybe a year and a half down here. Shimano's "official importer" is a joke, if you're a shop owner and put in an order for say two XT derailleurs, two XT cassettes and a pair of SLX hubs, the unboxing could be a complete surprise. My friend who owns a shop is used to keep the random parts Shimano sends him and just place the original order again, with the hope of getting the right components next time. He doesn't want to send back the wrong components in order to have some stock of other random parts.

They also offer to seel him a SLX M7000 rear derrailleur ONLY if he buys the gruppo's two shifters, dual ring crankset and front derailleur. So more often than he would like to, he resorts to either buying used components, or just straight buying a complete bike and cannibalizing it.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Unfortunately, these days, that just might be the absolutely only possible way to get a bike back up and running without a six month wait.
the shop i used to work at would keep a couple bins of old take off stuff that we would harvest / cannibalize for parts if needed.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Unfortunately, these days, that just might be the absolutely only possible way to get a bike back up and running without a six month wait. Or ever, without a complete new grupo, which also could take six months or more.
I get it, but items like, forks, rear shocks, brakes, swingarms, etc...

That seems to be a dangerous situation due to liability though. No?

I'd rather tell a fellow rider "sorry, but we can't get that part" rather than be like "I got you this fork. It'll work" instead of the fork breaking and hurting the customer.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I get it, but items like, forks, rear shocks, brakes, swingarms, etc...

That seems to be a dangerous situation due to liability though. No?

I'd rather tell a fellow rider "sorry, but we can't get that part" rather than be like "I got you this fork. It'll work" instead of the fork breaking and hurting the customer.
Intense did give out/sold used parts as crash replacements after they stopped production and could not quickly whip out spares.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Intense did give out/sold used parts as crash replacements after they stopped production and could not quickly whip out spares.
Yeah but a ridden and tested Intense anything is usually better than roll your dice on a new out of the box one

the shop i used to work at would keep a couple bins of old take off stuff that we would harvest / cannibalize for parts if needed.
A few riders here are doing group buys of complete bikes to cannibalise parts/frames that aren't available separately at the moment.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
XD drivers/cassettes that cross thread if you breathe wrong while tightening the cassette.
Have never cross threaded an XD and regularly switch it between wheel sets. I always add a little grease when installing. Always hope and DT hubs. What hub? Cheese?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Have never cross threaded an XD and regularly switch it between wheel sets. I always add a little grease when installing. Always hope and DT hubs. What hub? Cheese?
I9.

I always clean and apply new grease to the threads, make sure the cassette is settled into place. I'm careful because I've had similar happen before on an XD.

Today, started to tighten, it felt a little harder to thread on than expected, thought uh-oh. Unthreaded and I've got an inch long piece of alu from the freehub threads hanging there. Thankfully after cleaning it out and starting again being even more careful it threaded on fine.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I9.

I always clean and apply new grease to the threads, make sure the cassette is settled into place. I'm careful because I've had similar happen before on an XD.

Today, started to tighten, it felt a little harder to thread on than expected, thought uh-oh. Unthreaded and I've got an inch long piece of alu from the freehub threads hanging there. Thankfully after cleaning it out and starting again being even more careful it threaded on fine.
The captive locking with the nylock or similar retention system make it very difficult to feel whether or not the threads are properly engaged.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009

Haha!
XShifter spawned several copycat (but inferior) products that are available on the market today. SRAM copied our design for use in electric bikes. And XShifter eventually led to the creation of a much nicer and more sophisticated product that will be on the market very shortly. In short, XShifter accomplished what it set out to do: it has changed the bike market forever, and we are proud of that.

Last edited:

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!

Haha!
XShifter spawned several copycat (but inferior) products that are available on the market today. SRAM copied our design for use in electric bikes. And XShifter eventually led to the creation of a much nicer and more sophisticated product that will be on the market very shortly. In short, XShifter accomplished what it set out to do: it has changed the bike market forever, and we are proud of that.
Are you getting the guy's next big thing? https://www.nxswireless.com/