Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Moto pants worked great for DH back in the day...except for the lack of loops or a belt or anything that worked effectively along those lines.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Maybe, I just don’t know. If you did a breakdown of materials and labor. Factor in shipping from asia and profit from the manufacturer and the retailer. $28? I honestly don’t understand those economics. This isn’t some basic short either.
I guess this shows you how much Dakine and other companies are jacking up the prices. I can understand paying that much if they were made here. But we all know that they're not.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
if you buy a gravel specific bike, you honestly deserve it.

:rofl:
Nah, they have their place. Even before gravel was all the rage I was riding a cross bike for commuting or training rides and some day trips (called bikepacking these days). They are fun if they are a little more offroad-worthy road bikes. As soon as they get suspension, dropper posts or too wide tires I rather grab a real MTB because they have lost their snappiness on the road.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
LOL, gravel is repeating all the mistakes that were made in early MTB development. Cannot wait for the 160 mm travel, super slack gravel bikes of 10 years in the future.
Isn’t that what “flow trails” are?

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
the waist strap does look nice, however those don't strike me as a DH pant. is that the case?
guess that depends? I feel like they're suitable for dh, probably a bit heavier weight than some of the stuff people wear regularly in the park or racing in the summer. I get it, they're pricey, but the fit is top notch, great attention to detail, and they're made locally in Vancouver. Personally I'm happy to pay a premium for locally made products at a higher quality than most generic shit, ymmv.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
guess that depends? I feel like they're suitable for dh, probably a bit heavier weight than some of the stuff people wear regularly in the park or racing in the summer. I get it, they're pricey, but the fit is top notch, great attention to detail, and they're made locally in Vancouver. Personally I'm happy to pay a premium for locally made products at a higher quality than most generic shit, ymmv.
yea i get that, i'm cool with paying for good quality. i have a pair of endura singletrack pants that are really nice and great for trail riding, but DH pants they are not.

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van
all this. i've got a couple pair of NF britches; these things rock. super comfy, built solid. and the people there are awesome. i split the crotch seam on my (very well used, into second season) berzerkers this winter; dropped them @ the factory & they did a solid next day patch / repair - gratis. love that they actively repair rather than bin. anyways, not cheap, but solid value, IMO.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
style doesn’t need to be expensive. but those shorts are just cheap…
I know everyone has their opinion in this regard, but I'm a form-follows-function guy, so style always comes in third place, after function and price.

Oh, and I hate big flashy logos with my gut, so if any brand expects me to be a walking advertorial for them, they better open their wallet.

Last edited:

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
all this. i've got a couple pair of NF britches; these things rock. super comfy, built solid. and the people there are awesome. i split the crotch seam on my (very well used, into second season) berzerkers this winter; dropped them @ the factory & they did a solid next day patch / repair - gratis. love that they actively repair rather than bin. anyways, not cheap, but solid value, IMO.
Yeah I've got a pair of the DP3s and love the fit as well. I had a large tear on the thigh after a crash where a pedal pin caught it, mailed it up to Canada and they fixed it for the cost of return shipping. They're kind of a medium weight - good for fall and winter here in California but too warm otherwise. Yeah they're pricier than something made in Vietnam but they're not mass produced stuff that ends up in the landfill after a season.

shirk007

Monkey
Apr 14, 2009
I know everyone has their opinion in this regard, but I'm a form-follows-function guy, so style always comes in third place, after function and price.

Oh, and I hate big flashy logos with my gut, so if any brand expects me to be a walking advertorial for them, they better open their wallet.
You know who makes a set of great knee pads WITHOUT any big flashy logo....Rapha. They just have a tiny subtle black on black Rapha logo on the side. So no advertorial no walking billboard.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
You know who makes a set of great knee pads WITHOUT any big flashy logo....Rapha. They just have a tiny subtle black on black Rapha logo on the side. So no advertorial no walking billboard.
Ironically, Specialized does too (their "Trail" pant). Too bad the execution is terrible (super tight calf and ankle).

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
LOL, gravel is repeating all the mistakes that were made in early MTB development. Cannot wait for the 160 mm travel, super slack gravel bikes of 10 years in the future.
Gravel got tired of inventing its own mistakes - primarily, the riders themselves - and is now rehashing early 90s tech like the Girvin FlexStem?

Surely gravel is an inside joke amongst industry leaders to see how gullible their core consumers are?

There's always downduro, I guess...

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Lack of bib-shorts.

Not the undershorts/chamois, there's plenty of that. But show me a pair of TLD Ruckus "Bib Shorts", and I'll say hurry up and take my money!

:D

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Lack of bib-shorts.

Not the undershorts/chamois, there's plenty of that. But show me a pair of TLD Ruckus "Bib Shorts", and I'll say hurry up and take my money!

:D
Just make it a jumpsuit?