Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001

Haha!
XShifter spawned several copycat (but inferior) products that are available on the market today. SRAM copied our design for use in electric bikes. And XShifter eventually led to the creation of a much nicer and more sophisticated product that will be on the market very shortly. In short, XShifter accomplished what it set out to do: it has changed the bike market forever, and we are proud of that.
We?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Not really the industry, but this is what's wrong with people.

Check out 1:27; a bunch of people out to lunch on the landing of a jump and one dude about walks in front of the rider. If you've ridden this trail, you'll know how fast you're going at this point..

And some other rando just casually walking up the trail a few moments later...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Not really the industry, but this is what's wrong with people.

Check out 1:27; a bunch of people out to lunch on the landing of a jump and one dude about walks in front of the rider. If you've ridden this trail, you'll know how fast you're going at this point..

And some other rando just casually walking up the trail a few moments later...
Yeah dude, tired bros just standing around all over the place is the new norm.

sundaydoug

Monkey
Jun 8, 2009
If you're not unconscious you shouldn't be stopped in the middle of a trail.
When this happens I think it's *mostly* people that are new to lift-access riding and don't consider just how unsafe it is until they do it and almost cause an accident.

I usually just roll by and shout "Not a good spot to stop guys..." and hope it sinks in.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Somewhere in the far east. Not sure whether mine was China or Taiwan. I think they were made in yurp in 2014, then they overseased it. I cannot fathom why the frames are so expensive at retail, as it seems like a decent but very normal carbon frame to me.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
At this stage we can assume that bike manufacturers are just going to keep increasing prices till they don't sell out, then they'll plateau.

Complaining about bike pricing at the moment is like asking an auctioneer to yell SOLD while people are still frantically bidding.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
independant testing showed that dependent on elevation profile (hilliness), wind direction, average speed and duration of an event ceramic speed's aero cages and unicorn shit bearings could actually cost a cyclist wattage rather than save it.
A tear down also found them to be quite poorly constructed and sealed with blatant lies about the materials and construction process.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
independant testing showed that dependent on elevation profile (hilliness), wind direction, average speed and duration of an event ceramic speed's aero cages and unicorn shit bearings could actually cost a cyclist wattage rather than save it.
A tear down also found them to be quite poorly constructed and sealed with blatant lies about the materials and construction process.
Don't tell me my results are within my error margin.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
my wrists hurt already just by looking at these bars
Yeah, my mom has 12deg SQ Lab on her bike, I tried the high sweep Kool-Aid but it does nothing for numbness.
In my silly brain I feel I can have the same control with a narrower bar, riding elbows out with lots of back sweep feels awkward.
760mm wide with 5 back and five up is my Preference.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
That URL shows 6/4, you can get 7/5 with Renthal Fatbars
Yeah, this will sound stupid but I find Renthal bars repulsive looking, white person problem for me I guess.
Reverse have the Niko bar in the same dimensions and it looks nice, but I like the Antidote bar because they make them rather than farming the work out.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
The old 12 mm rise Thomson DH bar was 6/4 too, and awesome. The 20 mm rise one has way more sweep though.

I'm into the 31.8 aluminum Renthals for combo of ride quality / less sweep / not stupid expensive.