Quantcast

buying a new vehicle

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
The R-design models have awful handling and ride, despite all the extra HP, they consistently score below similar and lesser hp cars. The polestar is supposed to be their answer to the M3/M4 type cars, but again it's not getting good reviews when compared against the "standards". If the R-design was anywhere near the 335 performance/handling/etc, I would have jumped on it. Too bad really.

The actual polestar is supposed to be the bees knees in the corners thanks to them working with ohlins. But I hear you on the R design. Not worth it.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
^ that's my region for the last 2 years, Halton. Never knew they had those. Never liked em, all ford switchgear inside and when problems started to crop up (surprise surprise). Namely the throttle on that one.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The actual polestar is supposed to be the bees knees in the corners thanks to them working with ohlins. But I hear you on the R design. Not worth it.
Well, I agree. I seem to recall they were saying the polestare was still too soft/safe compared to an M3/M4, but at that level I wonder if anyone would really notice unless they were a professional driver. If I had the money, that might be a contender (but I was more on R-design budget).

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
was never sure whether to call this a wagon or an suv. i will say i really like ours, which was had used w/low miles for a decent price a few years back. having been in a wreck in a benz, as well as a variety of other cars, i will say that structural integrity was a large part of the purchase, as I think others have mentioned in other threads. it drives pretty well despite its bulk and two adults can actually sit in the 3rd row with some degree of comfort.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
was never sure whether to call this a wagon or an suv. i will say i really like ours, which was had used w/low miles for a decent price a few years back. having been in a wreck in a benz, as well as a variety of other cars, i will say that structural integrity was a large part of the purchase, as I think others have mentioned in other threads. it drives pretty well despite its bulk and two adults can actually sit in the 3rd row with some degree of comfort.

pretty sure that's a minivan

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
I've always viewed it as MB's minivan, or 'people carrier'. Nothing wrong with that. It's a much nicer 'people carrier' than anything out of the US or Japan.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Is that the B series? I had to deliver a manual one to a Mercedes dealer once, but after pulling it around to the front of the body shop, I tossed the keys to someone else and refused to drive it. Worst clutch ever.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Is that the B series? I had to deliver a manual one to a Mercedes dealer once, but after pulling it around to the front of the body shop, I tossed the keys to someone else and refused to drive it. Worst clutch ever.
That's the R class if i'm not mistaken - and since they are no longer producing them, you can get some killer deals, at least over here.

The B series is an abomination.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I was talking to a guy who had the AMG thing like that. He bought it instead of the new Corvette and wasn't sure if he was entirely happy with the decision. He said he loved the comfort and performance, but spent an average of $5k-$8k a year on maintenance. He got it used from a friend, it had been in a minor fender bender and was repaired by MB so he got it for next to nothing.

But $5k-$8k a year upkeep? :twitch:

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I was talking to a guy who had the AMG thing like that. He bought it instead of the new Corvette and wasn't sure if he was entirely happy with the decision. He said he loved the comfort and performance, but spent an average of $5k-$8k a year on maintenance. He got it used from a friend, it had been in a minor fender bender and was repaired by MB so he got it for next to nothing.

But $5k-$8k a year upkeep? :twitch:

That's ridiculous. A year ago when I was trolling craigslist for "family" cars, I was tempted by the "cheapness" of some of those R-bominations, but was not fooled. I'd be willing to tolerate the grampa-ness of it, but not the cost of ownership.

Mazda5 4-eva!

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
That's ridiculous. A year ago when I was trolling craigslist for "family" cars, I was tempted by the "cheapness" of some of those R-bominations, but was not fooled. I'd be willing to tolerate the grampa-ness of it, but not the cost of ownership.

Mazda5 4-eva!
While my car lacks a back seat, I have had some serious trouble free miles since I got it. I know I have about $4k worth of crap coming up between a new clutch and brake upgrade, but it's been oil and gas for the last 40k miles. I should get another 100k+ miles with the new clutch/brakes/suspension, so it looks like it will be worth it.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
your friend's total seems high-i think the most we've ever spent on it in a year over the 5 we've had it is $3500 and we put between 15k-20k miles per year on it.

(*frantically searching for wood to knock on)

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
Well he did get the AMG version. Which may require oil changes consisting of unicorn blood and filters made from baleen plates. Suspension was probably those miniature magic carpets that actuate every nanosecond to level the car up, which leak Sahara sand so need replacing every 20k miles. Shit adds up.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
My brother loves your car. He thinks (as if you care??) you should move the mirrors forward on to the fenders. I like your wheels. Just Bad ass. Bronx Drug dealer bad ass!
Now that I have 3 digits of horsepower I don't need mirrors. No need to look at the fading past when you are the fastest thing on the road.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Now that I have 3 digits of horsepower I don't need mirrors. No need to look at the fading past when you are the fastest thing on the road.
My drivers mirror. :rofl:

It was on there when I bought it, I love it. I honestly didn't notice it until the next day (it was late when I bought it).

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Well he did get the AMG version. Which may require oil changes consisting of unicorn blood and filters made from baleen plates. Suspension was probably those miniature magic carpets that actuate every nanosecond to level the car up, which leak Sahara sand so need replacing every 20k miles. Shit adds up.
:stupid:

He told me what most of it was, it was crazy. He had a Civic for a daily driver, but he also has a sweet '57 Bel Air gasser that he built himself that is amazing.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
your friend's total seems high-i think the most we've ever spent on it in a year over the 5 we've had it is $3500 and we put between 15k-20k miles per year on it.

(*frantically searching for wood to knock on)
That high running cost number was for the M-B R Class, not your plebian, sane brother-of-MMike-mobile.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
@Toshi-mine is r-class (although not the full-elite amg, which is where i suspect the high cost comes from :twitch:.)

@Westy-i bet it's fun on the brp/skyline
The fines for speeding in a NP far exceed my desire to do anything more than putt along when up there. There are plenty of tight backroads around home that are perfect for the old car. I have put in a tremendous effort into the suspension and have been rewarded with a car that handles very well, in the oversteery sort of way. Low weight, low gearing and a cam that likes revs makes it a blast to chuck into the twisties.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I know exactly what to call it.

Minivan.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I hope to have my Impala project soon and be able to put some effort into it. The great thing about my car is all I have done is enjoy it. While it could use some upgrades, in stock form, there are few things that come close to it in the twisties. Great balance, solid power:weight, 6 speed, 1g in a turn. Its been nice to just drive something without having to worry about what shook loose.