Quantcast

buying a new vehicle

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
My current racing Honda, a very fun car but they chopped off its nuts in 2013:

My next sport wagon: (wishful thinking ATM)
I just ordered the 428 GC a few weeks ago. The integrated hatch is what sold me. Worth considering if you are thinking about a wagon/hatch. Mine is mineral grey like the first couple pictures. At least BMW is still making A wagon though...more than I can say for Audi. If they did a 335 wagon I would have gotten it (probably would have ended up a little out of my price range, but I would have found a way). I'm not looking for tons of power though. The turbo 2.0s dyno at 240hp/255tq, same as an STI, so it'll go plenty "fast". Want something comfortable for some road trips.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I just ordered the 428 GC a few weeks ago. The integrated hatch is what sold me. Worth considering if you are thinking about a wagon/hatch. Mine is mineral grey like the first couple pictures. At least BMW is still making A wagon though...more than I can say for Audi. If they did a 335 wagon I would have gotten it (probably would have ended up a little out of my price range, but I would have found a way). I'm not looking for tons of power though. The turbo 2.0s dyno at 240hp/255tq, same as an STI, so it'll go plenty "fast". Want something comfortable for some road trips.

it's more graceful than that abomination...the honda crosstour....

Dirk77

Monkey
Feb 15, 2014
Honestly, what kind of grown ass man wants to drive around a station wagon?

And this is coming from a dude that just bought a grocery gettn legacy!!

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

Get out of here. Wagons are awesome!

And how can you not smile when you see one of these...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Would hit it:

If you are a mountain biker and want something sporty and practical, it's hard to be a wagon/hatch. My WRX wagon was super practical. Definitely glad to be back to something with a hatch again. Subaru might have been in the running if they didn't drop the hatch/wagon models from the wrx/sti lineup. Then again, I'm not really keen on going back to buzzing along at 3500rpm on the highway again.

Last edited:

Dirk77

Monkey
Feb 15, 2014
Nope 38 two kids... Maybe that's the problem? I'm not a grass smoothy drinking hipster!

Now I'm just trolling I guess.

I got the legacy for the gas mileage. The wagons don't do much better than a tacoma or silverado. Definitely not enough better gas mileage than dealing with a wagon.

seriously a wagon!

Last edited:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Nope 38 two kids... Maybe that's the problem? I'm not a grass smoothy drinking hipster!

I got the legacy for the gas mileage. The wagons don't do much better than a tacoma or silverado. Definitely not enough better gas mileage than dealing with a wagon.

seriously a wagon!
Better than a minivan, no? And to be fair - most men would WANT to be driving around in a Porsche 930 turbo... but I digress.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

seriously a wagon!
Well, the legacy, with full time symmetrical AWD and it's older engine tech, is not going to have great mileage, at least compared to what you can get these days. At least subaru has gotten away from the abomination known as the 4EAT, but it lasted way longer than it should have (people actually bought foresters and wrxs with it, can you believe it!??). It's not that the current legacy mileage sucks, it doesn't, but subaru tech doesn't advance as fast as most other manufacturers. Number of speeds in transmission. Direct injection. Wheel HP significantly lower than competitors. Although their awd platform is decent, the rest of the car is usually a bit behind cutting edge. Mazdaspeed and others upped the HP significantly and subaru came out with the 2008 "wrx", which was really just a rebadged impreza GT, with the competition they had to go to the widebody in 2010, but now Golf and Focus models are

Real world, yes, a wagon will do much better than a tacoma or silverado. Those are like pushing bricks, especially any kind of 4wd versions. Yes, even the trucks are much better than their previous incarnations, but something like a turbo 2.0 on a decent 7-8 speed transmission on a wagon/hatch/sedan platform will do significantly better than pushing those truck-bricks through the air.

Of course, we always need someone to own a truck for the shuttle runs...so there is that.

Last edited:

Dirk77

Monkey
Feb 15, 2014
I hear ya. Looks like the new outback gets the same gas mileage as the legacy I just bought. Older subaru wagons do about add good as my 97 tacoma 4x4 extra cab. Which will now be a sweet shuttle truck!

But I can look Badass in my legacy with the seat down low, one hand up high on the wheel, eyes just peeking over the Windows!

Can't do that in a wagon..

Dirk77

Monkey
Feb 15, 2014
I get 22 hwy. It's probably the turbo wagons that suck. Buddy's seemed to get the same as my truck.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I get 22 hwy. It's probably the turbo wagons that suck. Buddy's seemed to get the same as my truck.
Probably a combination of the auto trans and 2.5 turbo. No reason to have a 2.5 vs a 2.0, but subaru refused to do things like direct injection and twin scroll turbos, technology they've been using in Japan in these very same cars for years. Especially considering the LGT was only 256hp or something like that (has it changed?), surely a 2.0 would be a far better platform. Most manufacturers have added enough gears and logic in auto trans that they are more efficient now than the corresponding manual, except subaru kept the 4EAT way past it's lifetime and even then only did a 5spd auto LGT. My Subaru WRX with a tuned 2.0 would get 28-29 pretty easily (and 30+ if I was trying). Keeping it efficient when accelerating was a bit of a challenge with the turbo though.

I like subaru, it's just that they never seem to push any boundaries.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The fact that you can drop 70+ Gs on a truck these days just blows my mind. It's one thing if you need a truck, but for 99.9% of everyone I see/at work/etc, it's simply the new "Cadillac" status symbol. I can totally see how the US auto manufacturers are making $ hand over fist to provide what americans demand.

I needed a truck two winters ago to move a bed. So I rented one at Uhaul for like $30 for the day.

Dirk77

Monkey
Feb 15, 2014
The price of trucks has gotten absurd! buddys have giant diesels and 3/4 ton v8s and they don't even haul anything! But they are frckn sweet! I'd have one if I could afford it. I haven't had a car since my first car when I was 16. 1978 ford fiesta

I kept my tacoma for trips to home depot for sheetrock and Frckn tile and vanities and dressers and beds and couches and takes and chairs haha! a homeowner pretty much needs a truck. Unless you have a new home or money to pay people I guess. Two items I don't have.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
buddy just bought a e63 amg wagon, software and downpipes and cat delete it makes 700 something hp and similar torque. its a monster that'll lay smoke on the highway at cruising speed. turn off traction control and it's almost worthless.

Dirk77

Monkey
Feb 15, 2014
a subaru legacy isn't an Audi Quattro, or a finely tuned bmw or VW awd.. But it was also less than half the price!

hopefully it turns out to be a reliable, bike/board toteting awd car that gets decent mpg.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
bmw 3 diesel wagon claims 43. Real world mpg sometimes beats these figures, although people are usually only stating highway figures.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot

Men who are actual gear heads, actually:

Oh just a 700whp RWD wagon

Wagon's are better than sedans in several areas, but mainly space (free space!), and aerodynamics. Looking cooler than sedans is a plus too (according to every 'gearhead' site under the sun). You ever wonder why jalopnik, Speedhunters, Top Gear, and the rest LOVE them? Why blipshift makes shirts with them? Because Coupe>Wagon>Sedan

But hey, if you ever get the desire to race for pinks in that legacy I have an old 1991 Volvo wagon that'd be eager to take that 'manly' car from you :rofl: It's only got a B230FT so what could possibly happen?? :P

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Men who are actual gear heads, actually:

Oh just a 700whp RWD wagon

Wagon's are better than sedans in several areas, but mainly space (free space!), and aerodynamics. Looking cooler than sedans is a plus too (according to every 'gearhead' site under the sun).

But hey, if you ever get the desire to race for pinks in that legacy I have an old 1991 Volvo wagon that'd be eager to take that 'manly' car from you :rofl:[/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]
I saw my first Polestar Volvo at Mosport on the weekend. :clapping:

And then a V70R coming out of Durham forest with some bikes on the way home.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
^ the proper race car? Or the street polestar V/S60. They now have 'polestar optimization' on some models which is just a few things, not the full on polestar package that this has (Ohlins!)

The newer ones look good, and the V70R's are nice. Save for the expensive suspension. Eeasy to make stupid fast with minor mods. Older versions (RWD) take to substantial engine mods easier, but the whiteblocks are nice too if you set a limit before replacing liners and stuff. Had two 850s including an 850R that had a 20T and all suspension work including adjustable konis. Then the ex got it. then it got smushed. Now I'm all about the B230FT (what gearhead isn't?) and RWD. Have a super clean E36 2.8 which is our nice car so I can keep playing around with the wagon. It's funny to see faces in the rearview when a 24 year old car lights em up and blasts their fancy pants 330ci

The new motors are interesting. I'd hate to own one past warranty.[/img]

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
Yea they are getting pretty 'hatch' like, but its still better than a sedan in terms of aerodynamics and space.

I like the square ones, but that's me living in 1989 and loving it. 20mpg FTW!

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
That entails that there is some back and forth. This is Us setting the record straight on how wagons are cooler than sedans. More like a massacre. :boss:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The newer ones look good, and the V70R's are nice. Save for the expensive suspension. Eeasy to make stupid fast with minor mods. Older versions (RWD) take to substantial engine mods easier, but the whiteblocks are nice too if you set a limit before replacing liners and stuff. Had two 850s including an 850R that had a 20T and all suspension work including adjustable konis. Then the ex got it. then it got smushed. Now I'm all about the B230FT (what gearhead isn't?) and RWD. Have a super clean E36 2.8 which is our nice car so I can keep playing around with the wagon. It's funny to see faces in the rearview when a 24 year old car lights em up and blasts their fancy pants 330ci

The R-design models have awful handling and ride, despite all the extra HP, they consistently score below similar and lesser hp cars. The polestar is supposed to be their answer to the M3/M4 type cars, but again it's not getting good reviews when compared against the "standards". If the R-design was anywhere near the 335 performance/handling/etc, I would have jumped on it. Too bad really.

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
^ the proper race car? Or the street polestar V/S60. They now have 'polestar optimization' on some models which is just a few things, not the full on polestar package that this has (Ohlins!)

Not a race car, but the full on Polestar edition car. Sadly, it wasn't a wagon but I was surprised how big the brakes were. First and only Polestar I have seen.