Quantcast

buying a new vehicle

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
looking into getting a new car. mine's finally on it's way out so time for a change. i'll be looking new. no i don't want used i prefer new. so in trying to get some pricing, i've noticed that kbb and edmonds have changed the way they list pricing. you use to be able to get a dealer cost, but now they are showing these "fair value" prices. so, does anyone know of where to go to look at real dealer pricing or have suggestions as to how to mark down from sticker? i'm looking at either the subi XV or a mazda cx5 for those wanting to know

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
A lot of people on RM seem to like ferraris and 911s, they post a lot of pictures of them. you should consider one. Upside-down Corvettes are also all the rage.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
A lot of people on RM seem to like ferraris and 911s, they post a lot of pictures of them. you should consider one. Upside-down Corvettes are also all the rage.
i wish more subi xv pics were posted.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
try to find a Demo that the dealer is selling. They will usually be sold for thousands under invoice with less than 5k on them with a full pro rated warranty. We did that with our Volvo. Sticker was 39k we paid 26K+ tax with 4900 on the odometer

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
i just bought a used pathfinder R51. 2WD SE fully loaded, dvd all that jazz. just no nav headunit. it had 94K walked out the door with 3 year 36K extended covering all the shit for under 17K. Paid about 2K less than dealer. Nissan replaced trans at 70K for what I assume to be coolant in trans.

So far im happy with it with the only exception being the nissan 4L isnt the quietest motor.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
always negotiate on monthly payment, APR is just a number so ignore it. Extend your payments as long as possible to get that monthly bill low.

The "truecar" report is a way to get easy sales at the dealership from people who don't want to negotiate. You can find better deals or negotiate better deals if you're clever and have the time. It's usually comfortably over invoice and it means the dealer doesn't have to work with you, they can just say "yeah we'll do $X". If you can google up what the actual invoice price of the car is then you can work from there to find a better offer.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
always negotiate on monthly payment, APR is just a number so ignore it. Extend your payments as long as possible to get that monthly bill low.

Who cares if you are paying things off over 20 years if you can look pimp tomorrow.

Also, get the undercoating and paint sealer.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The "truecar" report is a way to get easy sales at the dealership from people who don't want to negotiate. You can find better deals or negotiate better deals if you're clever and have the time. It's usually comfortably over invoice and it means the dealer doesn't have to work with you, they can just say "yeah we'll do $X". If you can google up what the actual invoice price of the car is then you can work from there to find a better offer.
also, subaru vehicles aren't sold that much over invoice price, so there's generally not a lot of room for negotiation.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
it helps to just accept the dealer's first offer too. It gets everybody out quicker. Let them know ASAP that you have a trade, and what it's faults are; that way they won't have to spend too long inspecting it.
you ask them to cut it in half then double it, right?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
don't bother cleaning your trade or detailing the interior. The dealer has good vacuums and dedicated people to wash your car anyways. they will appreciate if you leave an air freshener or two in their, however, as the next buyer will undoubtedly love the pine scent.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
don't bother cleaning your trade or detailing the interior. The dealer has good vacuums and dedicated people to wash your car anyways. they will appreciate if you leave an air freshener or two in their, however, as the next buyer will undoubtedly love the pine scent.
just go all out and jimmydean your car into the lot where you plan to purchase a new vehicle

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
it helps to just accept the dealer's first offer too. It gets everybody out quicker. Let them know ASAP that you have a trade, and what it's faults are; that way they won't have to spend too long inspecting it.
Those dealer finance guys know what they are doing too. I'm always amazed at how creative they are at getting a deal put together that is honest and fair to the consumer. So when they tell you the value of your trade-in is worked into the bottom line price of the car without actually telling you the amount of the trade-in, you can rest assured they are doing what is in your best interest.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My C4 cost me $4k, insurance paid out $11k. I didn't do too bad on that one. My new one has a sticker price of $48k (it came with extensive documentation including build sheet, invoice, and history), I got it for $14k and couldn't be happier. I am keeping the rubber side down on this one, though. :rofl:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
If you can't get good financing consider borrowing money from a grassroots organization like MS13. They have plenty of cash and require little paperwork.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
It's been said before amidst the trolling:

1) Truecar
2) Costco Auto Program
3) Dicker.

Also, look at DCU, Digital Federal Credit Union, for a car note if you don't qualify for the automaker's 0% APR financing or whatever their deal is. I'm paying 1.49% on the Land Cruiser and 1.24% on the RAV4 EV through them.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I have a Mazda and love it (mine is the CX9 but I wanted a CX5....just couldn't haul all the kids and their crap). Fun to drive, maintenance has been only routine thus far and got it for a great price w/0%. That being said, the XV looks awesome too, but wasn't out when I bought mine (a 2012).

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
It's been said before amidst the trolling:

1) Truecar
2) Costco Auto Program
3) Dicker.

Also, look at DCU, Digital Federal Credit Union, for a car note if you don't qualify for the automaker's 0% APR financing or whatever their deal is. I'm paying 1.49% on the Land Cruiser and 1.24% on the RAV4 EV through them.
This post has been reported to the Mods.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Small price to pay for you. Big price to pay for us....

:D:D:D
:D

Here's more than any sane person wants to read about non-CO2 emissions, penned by yours truly a few years back:

https://plus.google.com/+ToshiClark/posts/eF14S1WDvm4

Money quote:

As for smog forming emissions, the results may surprise you: The non-CARB Prius and the CARB LX have identical smog-forming emissions save for nitrogen oxides, in which the LX emits 0.07 g/km vs. the Prius's 0.03. The RXh does even better, actually, as compared to the non-CARB Prius, with 1/5th the NMOG, 1/2 the CO, 2/3rds the NOx, and the same PM.

Verdict: Assuming one offsets the admittedly very different CO2 outputs, a CARB LX is every bit the equal of a non-CARB Prius, and an RXh is significantly better. (A CARB RXh and CARB Prius are identical in this regard, for the record.)
My current Land Cruiser is essentially on par with the LX in the comparison, afaik (haven't looked into it).