Quantcast

buying a new vehicle

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
A lot of people on RM seem to like ferraris and 911s, they post a lot of pictures of them. you should consider one. Upside-down Corvettes are also all the rage.
would love a Ferrari, but not practical here. it's like owning a boat for amount of time used. my preference is an Aston Martin DB9.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
In sept I plan to either get a Grand Cherokee or a 4-door Wrangler. The girls want the Wrangler....so do I really... but I am leery about the leaky roof.
Maybe you should consider a safer option? Every Jeep I have ever test drove had awful brakes, poor handling, awful shifting. They are just awful vehicles.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
In sept I plan to either get a Grand Cherokee or a 4-door Wrangler. The girls want the Wrangler....so do I really... but I am leery about the leaky roof.
In all seriousness, both of those are crap vehicles. You haven't let that dissuade you in past purchases, though. Just wanted to get this out for the record/for later "ha ha" threads.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
In all seriousness, both of those are crap vehicles. You haven't let that dissuade you in past purchases, though. Just wanted to get this out for the record/for later "ha ha" threads.
Yet another post reported.

Jeeps are awesome. Trail Rated and Italian engineering?

Basically a Ferrari combined with a Half Track.

A tailored suit with integrated rubber waders

BigBoi

Monkey
Oct 31, 2011
Long Island, NY
I would definitely recommend a NEWer Grand Cherokee. Drove a Limited in CO last summer for 9 days and I came home with serious car envy.
It drives like a luxury vehicle, gets relatively good gas mileage, yet it stomped over Hagerman Pass in the rain (don't tell Hertz).

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Why worry about a leaky roof when you can just take it off? Roofs are for losers and people like jimmydean who use them as skid plates.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
I am enormously underwhelmed by what's out there for >$35k. Coming off a '12 Outback with the boring 4cyl and even boring-er CVT. Going to drive one with the 6 this weekend and see if it's any less boring. Any other ideas for not-boring, wagon-y things?

I can't even look at that Cherokee nightmare without my gorge coming up and burning my throat and nostrils with bile and half-digested Chipotle.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Subaru does not even make a wagon anymore. The outback is a bloated suv trying to look like a wagon.
If you don't believe me, drive a new Golf Sportwagen and and Outback on the same day. : )

Fool

Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
It's a waddling, 4000lb oaf. Why would they even put that 4 in it?

Going to look at the Sportwagen also. Had a lot of VWs in the past but they got boring as fuck in the past few years, also.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
totally. my wife has one, it's a nice vehicle. but it's a wagon only in marketing speak.

does this mean my impreza is a hatchback and not a wagon?
Ha, it is a hatchback that tries to look like a wagon. I actually like the look of that car. That would have been
a good base to build the wrx on, but that pooped down their leg on that one.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
call it what you will i really like it. even with a "boring" cvt.
Bolded for the only thing that matters.

Ha, I took my wife through the vw place to show her new sportwagen and she said through a wrinkled up nose,
"You can say sport in front of that if you want to, but that is a straight up station wagon.
That is a couple of wood panels away from you being Clark Grizwald."
Subaru's marketing is perfect for her because she wants to be "up high" so she can see the road.
Which as sketchy as she drives, it a good thing for everyone.
I am probably going to get the wagon anyway, because she is already sleeping with me.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Jeeps are perfectly cromulent vehicles.

my 2001 Cheorkee in Seattle was fantastic
the 2004 Liberty was a piece of shit. But it was a company car.
The 2003 WJ my ex still drives had its issues....which were finally traced to a wiring harness being eaten by a mouse. Once that got sorted out, it's been good. It runs like shit now because she doesn't take care of it. The only thing Jeep can be accused of is making their wiring too delicious.

Jeeps are the nicest SUVs out there.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Jeeps are perfectly cromulent vehicles.

my 2001 Cheorkee in Seattle was fantastic
the 2004 Liberty was a piece of shit. But it was a company car.
The 2003 WJ my ex still drives had its issues....which were finally traced to a wiring harness being eaten by a mouse. Once that got sorted out, it's been good. It runs like shit now because she doesn't take care of it. The only thing Jeep can be accused of is making their wiring too delicious.

Jeeps are the nicest SUVs out there.

Plenty of places to stash a surprise wolverine.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I like the Volvo S60 wagon but I am not sure it has much storage room its more of the new Euro idea of a sporty wagon type design instead of a utilitarian design. No idea on the price either.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I am enormously underwhelmed by what's out there for >$35k. Coming off a '12 Outback with the boring 4cyl and even boring-er CVT. Going to drive one with the 6 this weekend and see if it's any less boring. Any other ideas for not-boring, wagon-y things?

I can't even look at that Cherokee nightmare without my gorge coming up and burning my throat and nostrils with bile and half-digested Chipotle.
You're missing a turbo

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Fool why not get a Golf GTI with only one child isn't plenty space even for the family roadtrip?
Or go the even more subtle route and get a Golf R. Enough room for the kid and a dog, beer in the back and a bike on the rack. Its safe too, all wheel drive will be great for the family!

Fool

Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
^ Street park in Brooklyn. Don't want no suckas scratchin' up dat chrome.

Come to think of it, it'd be sitting parked most weekdays. Could Airbnb something like that a make a fortune. Charge extra for the waterbed.