Quantcast

the random thought thread

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
When it is cold out. I am inside walking on fine silk carpets covering Old growth Oak. My feet never touch cold stones or dirt. I am blessed for that....

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
I think global warming might be better than global cooling. Said every human ever untill like 25 years ago.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
New Bottom bracket has a composite cup. $18 seemed kind of wrong. Seller gave me money back and is sending me the steel cup so I don't give him bad feedback.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
IMBA has become the NRA of the bike world. They only care about bike manufacturers selling shit, even it that shit isn't a proper bike. I for one despise the 'populist' mtb movement. Although cheezy, the EXTREME sports era brought the expectation that riding a mountain bike was difficult, required skill and had associated risk.
:stupid:

Also, boycott Imbaru!!

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
IMBA has become the NRA of the bike world. They only care about bike manufacturers selling shit, even it that shit isn't a proper bike. I for one despise the 'populist' mtb movement. Although cheezy, the EXTREME sports era brought the expectation that riding a mountain bike was difficult, required skill and had associated risk.
I remember when "flow" was a goal worthy of achieving. Now it's a built in trail feature. Good riders can find flow on any trail even if it's technical, rocky, rooty, etc.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I remember when "flow" was a goal worthy of achieving. Now it's a built in trail feature. Good riders can find flow on any trail even if it's technical, rocky, rooty, etc.
Yup. Flow is something that should happen with the rider, AKA "in the zone".

This is something near and dear to my heart as it was something I studied in Grad School. Well I studied the computerized control version but it has a direct analog to the way our brains work. When you get good enough at something, you basically know what to do, muscle movements etc, well in advance of doing it. I believe it is called adaptive learning in neurology, feed forward in the controls world.

When you are learning you take action based on error feedback (better turn because I am going off the trail). When you get good at something you can see ahead and take action exactly when it is required even if it is a new trail. Experience tells you how hard you can corner on that kind of dirt etc. Error based feedback is used to make corrections but when things are going well it is only a small part of what is going on.

Anyway, these days flow is building a trail that you could roll a bowling ball down and it would stay on line the whole way down the trail. The rider is in the zone because they don't have to do anything.

Last edited:

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006

This is something near and dear to my heart as it was something I studied in Grad School. Well I studied the computerized control version but it has a direct analog to the way our brains work. When you get good enough at something, you basically know what to do, muscle movements etc, well in advance of doing it. I believe it is called adaptive learning in neurology, feed forward in the controls world.

When you are learning you take action based on error feedback (better turn because I am going off the trail). When you get good at something you can see ahead and take action exactly when it is required even if it is a new trail. Experience tells you how hard you can corner on that kind of dirt etc. Error based feedback is used to make corrections but when things are going well it is only a small part of what is going on.

Anyway, these days flow is building a trail that you could roll a bowling ball down and it would stay on line the whole way down the trail. The rider is in the zone because they don't have to do anything.
This is why I love technically demanding trails. You have to pay attention to what you're doing otherwise you crash. Makes it difficult to think about all that crap in your daily life that you're trying to get away from.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!

My doctor believes I was able to recover faster from my injuries, because I was a cyclist all my life. He believes the more I ride the more things will rewire themselves. I am going with it. I don't trust my doctors in the States. Canadian Doctors are so much more honest and forthright. They like to get paid mind you. But not so overtly as to make you suspect what they say.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Operating a go pro isn't doing nothing :monkey:
My doctor believes I was able to recover faster from my injuries, because I was a cyclist all my life. He believes the more I ride the more things will rewire themselves. I am going with it. I don't trust my doctors in the States. Canadian Doctors are so much more honest and forthright. They like to get paid mind you. But not so overtly as to make you suspect what they say.
Yup, doing athletic shit makes you better at doing other shit.

Had my eyes tested earlier in the week. I am getting old and the vision is going away. However I managed a perfect score on the depth perception test. They said most people only get about 50%. I attribute that not to having good eyes, but regularly putting my life in the hands of my ability to sense speed and distance. I am well practiced in accurately processing the crap data my eyes are giving me.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Yup, doing athletic shit makes you better at doing other shit.

Had my eyes tested earlier in the week. I am getting old and the vision is going away. However I managed a perfect score on the depth perception test. They said most people only get about 50%. I attribute that not to having good eyes, but regularly putting my life in the hands of my ability to sense speed and distance. I am well practiced in accurately processing the crap data my eyes are giving me.
Have you started wearing reading glasses yet ?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
This is why I love technically demanding trails. You have to pay attention to what you're doing otherwise you crash. Makes it difficult to think about all that crap in your daily life that you're trying to get away from.
Completely agree! Some trails that people label as "flowy" are like riding on curvy sidewalk. If I wanted to do that, I'd just buy a road bike.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Aluminum axles with threaded steel adapters. Bad idea. If you need adapters to attach anything to your bike. Make sure the metals are of similar hardness and you use the proper torque spec to mount them to you bike. If you saved $100 to buy said component and it fails, then you need to replace the parts that failed at a cost of $210. You have failed. Cheap hubs always use cheap bearings. Always.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
How to increase luminosity of LED bulbs:
1. buy a LED bulb
2. when unpacking, drop on the floor, breaking the glass
3. remove all remaining glass from the wrecked LED bulb & install
4. profit

(don't look in the LEDs, I can't still see isht)