Quantcast

The Official Iron Horse Sunday / DW-Link Tech. & Tuning Section

Cameron

Chimp
Jun 1, 2015
If you've made the adjusters shorter you may be fine. I've never actually tried it, but it looks like the adjusters would be deep in the main structural part of the link at bottom out. I've owned a 2014 vivid on a different bike, so I'm not completely pulling this out of my ass. I cut the cross braces out of my link to clear a vector hlr and plenty of people have made similar cuts on their links, but I don't know of anyone making a significant cut into the thick part of the link.
Thanks for the input bengxe.. I'm going to give it a go through the week!!once I've complete I'll post some photos!

Metamorphic

Monkey
May 12, 2015
Cackalack
Is it possible to put any modern groupset on a Sunday, Saint, or SRAM XO1 DH ?
Um....yes. Do you have a more specific question? Not much has changed with the mounting and application of the Saint stuff. Can't entirely speak to X01DH but the only thing I can even think of might be hub driver like the XD being needed for the rear wheel. Has nothing to do with the frame though.

ridea

Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
south west of England
I know this has been discussed previously but what is available in terms of headset angle adjustment? I've been out of the game for a while so I've lost touch with what kit is about.

I'm aware of the CC angleset and Works offering (which are both expensive at around 80-150gbp) or a cheaper but heavier offering from FSA. Are there any other alternatives? Or just stand alone cups like the K9 industry ones of years ago which seem to have fallen off the face of the earth....?

szacsi72

Chimp
Jan 14, 2015
Hungary
I know this has been discussed previously but what is available in terms of headset angle adjustment? I've been out of the game for a while so I've lost touch with what kit is about.

I'm aware of the CC angleset and Works offering (which are both expensive at around 80-150gbp) or a cheaper but heavier offering from FSA. Are there any other alternatives? Or just stand alone cups like the K9 industry ones of years ago which seem to have fallen off the face of the earth....?
I think you should go with the Works. FSA isn't that good and strong, I don't know what happened to K9 (can't even contact them). And if money is your problem you'll propably find some used.
I don't like CC but that's just me.

James _125

Chimp
Aug 12, 2015
Well lads i need help im looking for a lower shock link bolt for my ironhorse sunday 06 but im not sure on where to get one that will fit it anyone point me in the right direction thanks.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Well lads i need help im looking for a lower shock link bolt for my ironhorse sunday 06 but im not sure on where to get one that will fit it anyone point me in the right direction thanks.
I have some spare linkage bolts from my now defunct MY07 Maverick MKIII. If they are similar to the ones in your Sunday, I'll happily send them over to you

James _125

Chimp
Aug 12, 2015
I have some spare linkage bolts from my now defunct MY07 Maverick MKIII. If they are similar to the ones in your Sunday, I'll happily send them over to you
that would be great ill post up a picture of the one I have at the minute just so you can see it.

James _125

Chimp
Aug 12, 2015
I know this might be a stupid question and all but is there a way of finding out exactly what year my ironhorse sunday is. It is painted green and had a 5th element shock in it when i bought it.

ridea

Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
south west of England
Correct me if i'm wrong but the element was standard with the first year (or two)'s bike(/s) I remember a friend having an old one.

08 is a different link too to fit the vivid no?

peecee

Monkey
Apr 27, 2012
Australia
Out with the old and in with the new!
IMG_3945.jpg

2 Questions, What are the best strongest bolts to replace that ones that came off my frame, quite a few were in average condition and secondly how do I go about Cutting my bottom 07-09 lower link to fit am RC4 in the frame ?

Last edited:

Metamorphic

Monkey
May 12, 2015
Cackalack
secondly how do I go about Cutting my bottom 07-09 lower link to fit am RC4 in the frame ?
From page 108, thanks to resident Sunday wizbang Udi....

You have to remove both rear braces entirely, it is very simple. Just smooth out the cut edges when you are done to remove any stress risers. If you do not remove both braces entirely it will hit the shock.

I have not seen one fail yet, but obviously you do this at your own risk. If it's any consolation I believe those links are cold forged 7075, they are very strong.

It should look like this when done:
http://s77.photobucket.com/user/rfgamboajr/media/IMG_3244.jpg.html

Metamorphic

Monkey
May 12, 2015
Cackalack
I got my 2009 Ironhorse Sunday powdercoated and all bearings went in fine. All rotate freely except the lower ones in the rear triangle. I thought the bearings didn't like being pressed in, but after removal I realized the rotate freely outside of the frame.
Bike looks great bud. I am planning to tear down my Sunday this winter and get it sprayed. Can you (or anybody) edumagacate me on how to prep the frame for blasting and spraying? From this thread and others, I understand an alloy frame should be soda blasted, NOT sand blasted. I assume this is to protect bearing faces? Should I leave the old bearings in place during the whole process to protect these faces? I figure I'll also leave an old bottom bracket in to protect the threads?

Already have an RC4, -1 headset, new bearing kit, all ready to bolt on. Stoked!

EDIT: Can anybody talk me out of cutting some frame material out around the shock? I am thinking it will allow easier access to change shock settings, air pressure, which right now is a royal PITA so I really want to do it. Plus it looks like it would give me street cred. Something like this

Last edited:

szacsi72

Chimp
Jan 14, 2015
Hungary
Bike looks great bud. I am planning to tear down my Sunday this winter and get it sprayed. Can you (or anybody) edumagacate me on how to prep the frame for blasting and spraying? From this thread and others, I understand an alloy frame should be soda blasted, NOT sand blasted. I assume this is to protect bearing faces? Should I leave the old bearings in place during the whole process to protect these faces? I figure I'll also leave an old bottom bracket in to protect the threads?

Already have an RC4, -1 headset, new bearing kit, all ready to bolt on. Stoked!

EDIT: Can anybody talk me out of cutting some frame material out around the shock? I am thinking it will allow easier access to change shock settings, air pressure, which right now is a royal PITA so I really want to do it. Plus it looks like it would give me street cred. Something like this
You can cut it out without any problem. Mine is cutted out too! Still really strong!

szacsi72

Chimp
Jan 14, 2015
Hungary
Hell yeah. Any fotoz? And did you just use a dremel, make the initial cut out then smooth edges? Really that simple?
Dremel and then a file. Nothing special. I only have photos of the frame after cutting:
http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/11805625/

Leave about 3mm space.
I will add this bike to vitalmtb in some time, so make sure you follow me, if you're interestid :P

+I was faster than I thinked I will be, and finished my DIY mudguard:
http://www.ridemonkey.com/threads/ironhorse-sunday-diy-mudguard.274274/#post-4083317

Last edited:

peecee

Monkey
Apr 27, 2012
Australia
Anyone using a RC4 that has been PUSH tuned with the piston upgrade or even gone all out and had the MX tune done ?

Would love to hear your thoughts.

peecee

Monkey
Apr 27, 2012
Australia
Little update.

Bike went in for paint this week and I also had my Fox DHX RC4 WC Edition shaft swapped out for something smaller and a few other tweaks by the boys at NSDynamics.

IMG_4603.jpg

IMG_4601.jpg
IMG_4602.jpg
IMG_4598.jpg

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
why go to smaller shaft?
the RC4 is best for the sunday because of it progressive work (because of its big shaft)

szacsi72

Chimp
Jan 14, 2015
Hungary
This is looking awesome!

Btw, I want a new shock for my ride.
I don't need many things like hypersupermegacompression, I just want it to be smooth and work well.
Having DHX 5.0 right now.

bengxe

Monkey
Dec 19, 2011
upstate NY
Hello, I have a problem with my Sunday and it is that yesterday the stock of the piece I need is just this : http://www.pearcecycles.co.uk/product/1069
I 'm looking on the internet but can not find it anywhere and I do not like riding with that as well . If you could only help me would be of great relief.
Cheers
Why do you think you need that pivot? Play from that point generally comes from the lower link wearing. You probably need to retaining compound that pivot axle into the link with loctite 609.

szacsi72

Chimp
Jan 14, 2015
Hungary
Hello guyz!

You know, we had this 'problem' about making the bike slacker... But than it will be too low, and i just found a thing called 'offset shock bushing".
Do you think we could use them like we use angleset? (popular)

Cheers
David

bengxe

Monkey
Dec 19, 2011
upstate NY
If you have an 05 or 06 then you can use offsets. If you have an 07+ there are ways to run an offset in the upper mount that have been discussed in this thread. Either way, offsets will lower the bb even more than a headset for a given head angle change, which isn't generally what you want on a sunday.

szacsi72

Chimp
Jan 14, 2015
Hungary
If you have an 05 or 06 then you can use offsets. If you have an 07+ there are ways to run an offset in the upper mount that have been discussed in this thread. Either way, offsets will lower the bb even more than a headset for a given head angle change, which isn't generally what you want on a sunday.
And what do you think, can we use it to make the bb higher? Or its not possible/safe.
Cuz it will be a good combo to have 62.9 and 35cm BB :)

Other question: how do I know if a frame is Factory and not World cup/elite?
How much more does it worth?
How much lighter is it? My frame says factory, but it was repainted so i am not sure.

Cheers

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Free Soda Refills at Fuddruckers
And what do you think, can we use it to make the bb higher? Or its not possible/safe.
Cuz it will be a good combo to have 62.9 and 35cm BB :)

Other question: how do I know if a frame is Factory and not World cup/elite?
How much more does it worth?
How much lighter is it? My frame says factory, but it was repainted so i am not sure.

Cheers
The Factory frame differs from the frame used on the Team & World Cup complete bikes on material, butting, and colors. Overall, the frame is about 1lb lighter than it's Taiwan made counterpart (i.e. Sunday World Cup and Sunday Team). Geometry and sizing is identical for the Taiwan & USA frames.

If your bike has 10mm hardware, it's not a Frame Kit from 2005 - look there/

But each Sunday Decal sheet in circulation from IHBC sources all say 'Factory'. Anyone can die-cut rub on stickers also. If yours are the Red/Gray/White or Black/White Green/ or Pink/Gray/White and say factory those were the IH decals.

Unless the frame is sano-condition, don't obsess over any value.