Quantcast

The Official Iron Horse Sunday / DW-Link Tech. & Tuning Section

szacsi72

Chimp
Jan 14, 2015
Hungary
The Factory frame differs from the frame used on the Team & World Cup complete bikes on material, butting, and colors. Overall, the frame is about 1lb lighter than it's Taiwan made counterpart (i.e. Sunday World Cup and Sunday Team). Geometry and sizing is identical for the Taiwan & USA frames.

If your bike has 10mm hardware, it's not a Frame Kit from 2005 - look there/

But each Sunday Decal sheet in circulation from IHBC sources all say 'Factory'. Anyone can die-cut rub on stickers also. If yours are the Red/Gray/White or Black/White Green/ or Pink/Gray/White and say factory those were the IH decals.

Unless the frame is sano-condition, don't obsess over any value.
Thank you!
I do really want to know if mine is a real factory, or is it just the paint. Is there anything I can do?
For example, do we now the weight of the regular one? So I could measure mine.

This is how she looks. She is a 09, comes from CRC (2010) And being used since mid-2010.

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Free Soda Refills at Fuddruckers
Thank you!
I do really want to know if mine is a real factory, or is it just the paint. Is there anything I can do?
For example, do we now the weight of the regular one? So I could measure mine.

This is how she looks. She is a 09, comes from CRC (2010) And being used since mid-2010.
That particular bike can retain some value - having a proper storyline to it being sold through Chain Reaction Cycles. ...as opposed to falling off of a Turnip Truck.
So this bike sold with frame-gusseting hogged out like that?

szacsi72

Chimp
Jan 14, 2015
Hungary
That particular bike can retain some value - having a proper storyline to it being sold through Chain Reaction Cycles. ...as opposed to falling off of a Turnip Truck.
So this bike sold with frame-gusseting hogged out like that?
Uhh sorry I think I dont understand this fully, but your answer should be somewhere here:
It was repainted
The frame was cutted out
I didnt see the original paint

And thats why I want to know if is this a factory, cuz if it isnt, i will sell her and buy a factory.

bengxe

Monkey
Dec 19, 2011
upstate NY
And what do you think, can we use it to make the bb higher? Or its not possible/safe.
Cuz it will be a good combo to have 62.9 and 35cm BB :)

Other question: how do I know if a frame is Factory and not World cup/elite?
How much more does it worth?
How much lighter is it? My frame says factory, but it was repainted so i am not sure.

Cheers
I don't have any personal experience with this, but I've heard that offset bushings will tend to rotate to the lowest orientation if they're used in any other way. But 62.9 and 35cm should be achievable with the right combination of headset and fork extension. You can use this calculator to find what headset and fork length will give you the numbers you want: http://bikegeo.muha.cc

peecee

Monkey
Apr 27, 2012
Australia
With hardware so hard to come by on for the Sunday these days, has anyone on ever taken the measurements of pivots hardware and got someone to machine some up for them ? Surly it can't be to hard the ones that Pearce Cycles were/are selling are after market ones.

shmity

Chimp
Oct 6, 2004
Digging up a post from a few pages back....Has anyone looked at DHX2 fitment on this? Its new rear shock time and that choice would be a good one....

shmity

Chimp
Oct 6, 2004
It would fit like the RC4- you will need to cut out the link.
No doubt that it will need to be cut. The piggy back on the DHX2 looks much wider than the RC4 with the offset adjusters, but I haven't held them next to each other to make a direct comparison, so its hard to say how much material needs to be removed from the side of the link, and if its too much....

James _125

Chimp
Aug 12, 2015
Well lads i know im going off topic abit here but need help with headsets.
Want to get a new headset for my 05 sunday and need abit of advice want to rake the front out abit to so would like to get an angleset for it to any advice

Thanks.

peecee

Monkey
Apr 27, 2012
Australia
I just picked up the frame from the powder coaters and couldn't be happier!

They have done an amazing job, I heard they were good but ill be honest I didn't realise it would look as good as it does.

If anyone in Australia is thinking about getting there bike powder coated look no further than Roberto at http://www.robertoscustompowder.com.au/gallery-bike/ I paid $200 for chemical strip, light blast and great workmanship. Plus he has a Delorean you can look at which is killer.

_PC_1967.jpg
_PC_1971.jpg
_PC_1973.jpg
_PC_1979.jpg
_PC_1965.jpg

hitar_potar

Monkey
Sep 23, 2011
Ruse, Bulgaria
Guys, don't bother with offset bushings - the Sunday will only accept 2mm in total offset (meaning 1mm on each end of the shock), which will change nothing, therefore it's irrelevant. The BB is low enough as it is - the angleset is the way to go to slacken this bike. Mine is a custom -3 degrees headset, coming from a -2 gave me so much more control at high speed. Also, just received my new shock hardware - had it machined by someone just for me, costed me less than 10 euros for both ends. The guy also said machining the pivot axles, bolts and other hardware stuff is simple, even suggested he could heat-treat the axles to make them stronger. And the prices would be ridiculously low (something like the amount he charged me). For me Pearce Cycles is not needed, my guy got me covered on all bases. :)

shmity

Chimp
Oct 6, 2004
Do you have the material specs and dimensions on hand or easily acquired? The info would be helpful to a lot of people I'm sure.

szacsi72

Chimp
Jan 14, 2015
Hungary
I just want a -2.5° but I can't get it anywhere ahhhhh :/

Btw can u post a pic about it? I wanna see how it looks like with 61.9° :)

Last edited:

Metamorphic

Monkey
May 12, 2015
Cackalack
I just picked up the frame from the powder coaters and couldn't be happier!

They have done an amazing job, I heard they were good but ill be honest I didn't realise it would look as good as it does.

If anyone in Australia is thinking about getting there bike powder coated look no further than Roberto at http://www.robertoscustompowder.com.au/gallery-bike/ I paid $200 for chemical strip, light blast and great workmanship. Plus he has a Delorean you can look at which is killer.
What, if anything, did you do to protect bearing faces? I have parts and bearings for a rebuild this winter and want to spray the frame, but I have zero experience with this...got some pointers?

Looks great BTW, can't wait to see if put back together!

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
What, if anything, did you do to protect bearing faces? I have parts and bearings for a rebuild this winter and want to spray the frame, but I have zero experience with this...got some pointers?

Looks great BTW, can't wait to see if put back together!
Ideally you would use a painter/powder coater that has experience with motorcycle frames. They will be familiar with making sure to seal off the right parts(bearing seats, bb threads, etc) and won't need any instruction. If they don't, then you must point them out. If they do paint over them, then you must remove the paint before installation.

ritche

Monkey
Dec 3, 2011
Any one here riding a "B-26" sunday? (650b front wheel and fork). I know it would work. Any reviews and pics.

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
Any one here riding a "B-26" sunday? (650b front wheel and fork). I know it would work. Any reviews and pics.
you could also do it with a 26" inverted fork. i know there are quite a few important industry people that swear by this setup

hitar_potar

Monkey
Sep 23, 2011
Ruse, Bulgaria
I just want a -2.5° but I can't get it anywhere ahhhhh :/

Btw can u post a pic about it? I wanna see how it looks like with 61.9° :)
-2.5 angleset would have to be made custom. Somebody did make one officially, but it was for tapered headtubes. If you have to make a custom angleset, don't bother with -2.5 - go all the way to -3: it's worth it!
As for the measurements, the guy that made the hardware, made them - if he still has them, they are with him. But my case is a special one: my shock has 14mm eyelets, so the hardware is made around this. Also, the axle in the lower mounting point of the shock is worn, so the guy had to account for that as well. And because of all this, it gets too custom and it won't do you any particular good. From what i remember, the upper assembly is 23-24mm wide in total (putting in that the eyelet's width as well), and the lower one is 32-33mm wide (i think) - again putting into the account the shock's width. But i don't think this is any good to you. I'd have to go to the guy and ask him if he has it all written for me. Also, here's a pic, but the bike's a not absolutely straight on it: :)

szacsi72

Chimp
Jan 14, 2015
Hungary
Awesome!

Straightened out the pic with win10 pic editor.. whoa.
There are big plans in my mind... I am developping an under 3kg shiver with a mate, and I am also planning custom links (upper too) so the BB height finally won't be a problem :) I hope i could get some -3... would feel so nice (ive gone from 65 to 63.4 and its amazing, so 61.9.. whoa)

What is your pinkbike name? Would like to add you ;)

Last edited:

hitar_potar

Monkey
Sep 23, 2011
Ruse, Bulgaria
hitarpotar on pinkbike. :)
What custom links are you planning? What for? Also, there is an under 3kg Shiver here in Bulgaria - a guy i know from Sofia rides it, i think the coil has been converted to an air spring. Word is the compression is also custom.
And another also - there might be a -3 angleset free here within my grasp... Not sure but i have to check it.

szacsi72

Chimp
Jan 14, 2015
Hungary
hitarpotar on pinkbike. :)
What custom links are you planning? What for? Also, there is an under 3kg Shiver here in Bulgaria - a guy i know from Sofia rides it, i think the coil has been converted to an air spring. Word is the compression is also custom.
And another also - there might be a -3 angleset free here within my grasp... Not sure but i have to check it.
Added you :)

Custom lower links to fit some nice shocks, upper to solve the problem of the bb height, and... maybe... the bike will become 27.5 so to match that.
Yeah u can save a lot of weight by moving to air, but to go under 3, mine's gonna have reduced oil levels, custom air sprung, new cartridge and custom crowns ;)

Would be cool if u had one!

bengxe

Monkey
Dec 19, 2011
upstate NY
Added you :)

Custom lower links to fit some nice shocks, upper to solve the problem of the bb height, and... maybe... the bike will become 27.5 so to match that.
Yeah u can save a lot of weight by moving to air, but to go under 3, mine's gonna have reduced oil levels, custom air sprung, new cartridge and custom crowns ;)

Would be cool if u had one!
What is this bb height problem you keep referring to? I can think of a few problems with the Sunday frame, but the bb height isn't one of them.

szacsi72

Chimp
Jan 14, 2015
Hungary
What is this bb height problem you keep referring to? I can think of a few problems with the Sunday frame, but the bb height isn't one of them.
Moving to 61.9 from 65 will result in a very low bb... About 34cm. And that -1cm is just enough to help you touch the ground ;)
With a nice taco its not a big problem, but big issues can happen.

bengxe

Monkey
Dec 19, 2011
upstate NY
Moving to 61.9 from 65 will result in a very low bb... About 34cm. And that -1cm is just enough to help you touch the ground ;)
With a nice taco its not a big problem, but big issues can happen.
Only if you get all of that angle change from the headset. You can run your fork extended to slacken it and raise the bb. You just need to find the combination of fork length and headset that gives you the geo you want. With my 2* headset, if I fully extended my 40 I would be at about 61.5* and a 355mm bb, which is too tall and too slack for me.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I rode a large yakuza, am 5'11", and it felt great. Dropped the BB with a short shock, then ran a -2 cup with my angleset, and a 30mm stem. It was awesome, my favorite fitting bike thus far.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
i am sure this has already been asked, but anyone here 5'10"-6' riding a large? if so, doesnt feel too small? im 5'11".
Definitely get the large. Anyone 5'11 or over should be on one.
For general reference, it's worth getting the 07+ frame as it has more reliable linkages and is lighter (0.9lbs - a fair bit in today's money). I wouldn't bother with the 05-06 frames these days.

szacsi72

Chimp
Jan 14, 2015
Hungary
Only if you get all of that angle change from the headset. You can run your fork extended to slacken it and raise the bb. You just need to find the combination of fork length and headset that gives you the geo you want. With my 2* headset, if I fully extended my 40 I would be at about 61.5* and a 355mm bb, which is too tall and too slack for me.
I run shivers so there is no way to extend it haha :D