Quantcast

The Official Iron Horse Sunday / DW-Link Tech. & Tuning Section

VolatileMike

Chimp
Aug 15, 2014
Hi Guys

Any body had problems with heavy duty mount kit and the shock pin tolerance on DHX 5? I've just had my shock back from tftuned and they put in new bushings and heavy duty mount kits. I have vertical play in the frame and I noticed when I took it apart there is movement of the shock pin inside the mount kit. Anything I can do? as obviously the bushings and mount kit are all new.

Thanks

bengxe

Monkey
Dec 19, 2011
upstate NY
Bearing retainer compound has worked for me on the lower pin, I've never needed it on the upper pin but I don't see why it wouldn't work there too. If the shock pins are visibly worn or damaged you should probably replace them before trying retainer compound though. Tolerances on mount bushings seem to vary quite a bit, I've had 2 different brands have play on my lower pin from new.

VolatileMike

Chimp
Aug 15, 2014
Thanks for the help mate.

The shock pins are only a couple of months old so they should be good.

After a bit more investigating I noticed that the top mount kit had moved over more to one side. Once I straightened this so the shock sat in the middle of the mount the play was gone. However I notice the rubber washer and metal spacer combo is still loose either side so im guessing they will cause the mount kit to move again once riding. So looks like I need some some slightly bigger spacers?

Jun 23, 2015
UK
Hi Guys,

I've got an '09 Sunday that's got some play coming from the rear end of the DW link, looks like it's just on the driveside. I've replaced the bearings (Max-E type), and put in a new pin/shaft. It's all tightened up but there's still a bit of play. The new pin slid fairly easily into the DW link and I think there was a tiny amount of play between the pin and link when I put it back together. Is a new pin supposed to be a tight fit in the link, and could it be that the inner bore of the DW link is worn?

Thanks for any help

peecee

Monkey
Apr 27, 2012
Australia
Just bought my first Sunday, 2008 Sunday Expert in Large. I have big plans for the bike but the first think is too get it stripped and resprayed, this will mean a new set of decals also I can put under the clear coat.

Only issue I've found is that the decals sheets I've seen around on eBay and frame size specific, does anyone know where to get some 19" Large decals or would the normal 17" ones ok ?

Any help would be great, cheers.

bensten

Chimp
Jun 29, 2015
hey guys,
i am wanting to slacken the head angle on my 08 sunday by a degree or so but i dont want to make the bottom bracket to much lower than it currently is. would it change the bottom bracket height by much if i used an angleset or are there any other ways that you can do it without altering the bottom brackets height?
cheers

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
bensten. you shuld change it with 2 degree. one is not noticeable.
and you can pull the stanchions and keep the BB hight the same as now.

bensten

Chimp
Jun 29, 2015
ok i think i will try a -2 degree angleset then and just pull the stachions. thanx heaps mate

bengxe

Monkey
Dec 19, 2011
upstate NY
hey guys,
i am wanting to slacken the head angle on my 08 sunday by a degree or so but i dont want to make the bottom bracket to much lower than it currently is. would it change the bottom bracket height by much if i used an angleset or are there any other ways that you can do it without altering the bottom brackets height?
cheers
Speak for yourself, but I've made smaller geometry adjustments than a 1 degree headset that were very noticeable. I have a 2 degree headset in my sunday right now and I'm considering going to a 1 or 1.5, 2 is sometimes too slack for me. And whether or not you can compensate for the bb height change will depend on your fork and where you have the crowns set currently,

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
you can check with the spring out of the shock.
and if it tuch the lower link, you can just cut the part of the link that tuch the shock.

peecee

Monkey
Apr 27, 2012
Australia
Thanks for the reply but I don't have a Vivid shock yet that I can check it with.

I just thought this being the main forum for this bike on the whole of the internet someone could just let me know straight up, Its an 08 Sunday and these bikes came with Rocco's Fox and the top of the line the WC had a Vivid I just wondered if the bottom link was the same throughout the range ?

bengxe

Monkey
Dec 19, 2011
upstate NY
08-09 links will fit first generation vivids, not the new ones. The vivid is too linear for the sunday leverage curve, makes it hard to get the bike off the ground

peecee

Monkey
Apr 27, 2012
Australia
08-09 links will fit first generation vivids, not the new ones. The vivid is too linear for the sunday leverage curve, makes it hard to get the bike off the ground
Thanks dude your a legend! Yeah vivid need a PUCH tune or something ? Im not sure how Im going to go I may get a DHX5 as I have 3 but People say the RC4 is a good shock for the bike ? Will the link need machining for that so you know ?

peecee

Monkey
Apr 27, 2012
Australia
Can you get after market replacements for the big HEX cap that can be found on the lowest pivot on the main frame ? Or is there an alternative for this ? Ive seen pics of bikes with a HEX washer/cover and I've seen some with what looks like a normal pivot bearing cover

pbpic3028103.jpg
pbpic3036041.jpg

peecee

Monkey
Apr 27, 2012
Australia
Yep me again, has anyone else has issues with this bolt ? one side came undone fine but the other side does not want to budge and she's starting to round off, i really want to be able to get the linkage off so i can get the bike resprayed and new bearing kit put in.
_PC_1339.jpg

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Free Soda Refills at Fuddruckers
Yep me again, has anyone else has issues with this bolt ? one side came undone fine but the other side does not want to budge and she's starting to round off, i really want to be able to get the linkage off so i can get the bike resprayed and new bearing kit put in.
View attachment 120067
The Center-section it threads into is removable. If you have new hardware just grip it with pliers and unthread it from the bolt. If not, take a longer bolt with a jam nut to the other side and use that to wrench it off.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Speak for yourself, but I've made smaller geometry adjustments than a 1 degree headset that were very noticeable. I have a 2 degree headset in my sunday right now and I'm considering going to a 1 or 1.5, 2 is sometimes too slack for me. And whether or not you can compensate for the bb height change will depend on your fork and where you have the crowns set currently,
What about getting like a 0.5* angleset or works setup, then raising the fork in the crowns? That'll give you a slack head angle to start but lower the BB, then your raise the BB and slacken the head angle more with the crown adjustment. Not sure how close you would come to 1 degree, but it's possible.

I agree, I had a -1.5 on this bike and didn't like it initially, too slack for my skill level. But now I'm on something slacker than even that, so who knows...

bengxe

Monkey
Dec 19, 2011
upstate NY
What about getting like a 0.5* angleset or works setup, then raising the fork in the crowns? That'll give you a slack head angle to start but lower the BB, then your raise the BB and slacken the head angle more with the crown adjustment. Not sure how close you would come to 1 degree, but it's possible.

I agree, I had a -1.5 on this bike and didn't like it initially, too slack for my skill level. But now I'm on something slacker than even that, so who knows...
I already have my 40 almost fully extended to keep the bb height reasonable. My head angle is about 62 with a 13.6" bb height. When I'm having a good day the bikes great, but if I try to take it easy and ride slower this bike can be miserable.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
`
I just thought this being the main forum for this bike on the whole of the internet someone could just let me know straight up?
Everything you're asking has already been covered in the thread numerous times, you can search the thread using either google or the advanced search functionality on the forum.

1. The 2008 frame came with Vivid 5.1/R2C compatible lower links. You can identify it by the asymmetric groove:
http://s25.photobucket.com/user/CK_123/media/2008LowerLink.jpg.html
2. Yes those hex bolts are available as replacements, pearce-cycles in the UK supplies them here:
http://www.pearcecycles.co.uk/product/1024
3. They also sell an assortment of other replacement Sunday parts here:
http://www.pearcecycles.co.uk/product_list/209
4. Yes the RC4 is best shock for the Sunday, but the Vivid will work okay too. The reason behind this is the end stroke linearity or mild digression present on the Sunday which benefits from a boost valved shock design to optimise bump absorption in relation to travel usage. However the smaller shaft on the Vivid should offer better bump sensitivity. The most ideal modern shock for it would be a 2014-2015 small shaft RC4 with a boost valve fitted, but this isn't a factory configuration.
5. You can use a heat source to weaken any loctite that is holding that stuck bolt, a heat-gun or acetylene torch works (pointed at the part containing the thread, not the bolt head). If you destroy the bolt head, then you can hammer in a torx bit of slightly large size so that it's driven into the full depth of the screw and then unscrew it with assistance from the heat source. Obviously replace bolt afterwards, that particular one is a standard M6 countersunk that takes a 4mm key.

Last edited:

Cameron

Chimp
Jun 1, 2015
Hey everyone,
I was wondering if anyone knows if there is any where is Australia to get Sunday shock mounting hardware? Im after the lower shock hardware mainly as mine is starting to get a bit of vertical play. I know of DIYMTB.. but that only covers the top mount. Or is it a case of going international (Pearce cycles in the uk)?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
Or is it a case of going international (Pearce cycles in the uk)?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Going international from Pearce is probably your best bet. These parts are becoming harder and harder to come by, so I would pull the trigger sooner rather than later

Cameron

Chimp
Jun 1, 2015
Going international from Pearce is probably your best bet. These parts are becoming harder and harder to come by, so I would pull the trigger sooner rather than later
thanks csermonet, its sadly becoming very apparent.
Although I did just received a email back from pearce cycles (quite quickly I might add), they do ship internationally, the price to ship to Australia is 15 pounds if anyone was wondering.

Cameron

Chimp
Jun 1, 2015
Hi everyone,
Im attempting to install a 2014 r2c rockshox vivid coil into my 08-09 ironhorse sunday.... I'm aware I have to modify the dw link I little bit... has anyone done this (im kinda assuming someone has) and if so do you have any pictures of the link.. ive heard stories of people removing quite alot of the link with a dremel... but I'm a bit hesitant as to how much a can remove.
any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks in advance!

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
thanks csermonet, its sadly becoming very apparent.
Although I did just received a email back from pearce cycles (quite quickly I might add), they do ship internationally, the price to ship to Australia is 15 pounds if anyone was wondering.
Another option is the Enduro Roller Bearing and replace the supplied fastening hardware with shoulder bolts. An exact-tolerance fit exists, for two years this has been reliable on a 6POINT being ridden on all terrain type.

Also Zelvy has suspended further development of the Sunday and/or other IH Carbon Fibre frames. The general market is not there, they were unable to say it will ever happen at all.
RIP, that.

ritche

Monkey
Dec 3, 2011
Is it possible to fit the new fox DHX2, installed upright (piggy back near the upper link) on a sunday?

It seems there is enough clearance for the bottom of the piggy back to hit the top surface of the down tube.

Last edited:

szacsi72

Chimp
Jan 14, 2015
Hungary
Is it possible to fit the new fox DHX2, installed upright (piggy back near the upper link) on a sunday?

It seems there is enough clearance for the bottom of the piggy back to hit the top surface of the down tube.
I came here right now to ask the same question! :D
Not cleaning out the link will make the bike more stable? Anyody has tried this?

(Pic shows what ritche is thinking for)
http://ep1.pinkbike.org/p5pb10107633/p5pb10107633.jpg

Cameron

Chimp
Jun 1, 2015
Another option is the Enduro Roller Bearing and replace the supplied fastening hardware with shoulder bolts. An exact-tolerance fit exists, for two years this has been reliable on a 6POINT being ridden on all terrain type.

Also Zelvy has suspended further development of the Sunday and/or other IH Carbon Fibre frames. The general market is not there, they were unable to say it will ever happen at all.
RIP, that.
Thanks muddy! I'll look into that!
Haha! Why do all good things have to come to an end!

Cameron

Chimp
Jun 1, 2015
The 2014+ vivid won't fit the Sunday. You'd have to remove half the lower link to clear the adjusters
Hey bengxe, not to sound like too much of a stupid question, but.... Your saying it should fit once you remove part of the link? I'm picking up a dremel tomorrow and I've had the adjustment knobs turned down by the local suspension shop... And I was just going to Dremel out part of the link.... Is that do-able on the dw-link?

bengxe

Monkey
Dec 19, 2011
upstate NY
Hey bengxe, not to sound like too much of a stupid question, but.... Your saying it should fit once you remove part of the link? I'm picking up a dremel tomorrow and I've had the adjustment knobs turned down by the local suspension shop... And I was just going to Dremel out part of the link.... Is that do-able on the dw-link?
If you've made the adjusters shorter you may be fine. I've never actually tried it, but it looks like the adjusters would be deep in the main structural part of the link at bottom out. I've owned a 2014 vivid on a different bike, so I'm not completely pulling this out of my ass. I cut the cross braces out of my link to clear a vector hlr and plenty of people have made similar cuts on their links, but I don't know of anyone making a significant cut into the thick part of the link.

Metamorphic

Monkey
May 12, 2015
Cackalack
Currently have a PUSH'd DHX 5.0 on my 2007. I cannot get it set up to prevent bottom out without being stiff/harsh through the mid stroke.

I am planning a complete rebuild/spray of the frame this winter, do you think an RC4 would help me out? Used they go for $300 all day, would be a small price to pay to breathe life into this frame IMO. This is my 3rd season with the frame/DHX. Thanks for any thoughts.

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Currently have a PUSH'd DHX 5.0 on my 2007. I cannot get it set up to prevent bottom out without being stiff/harsh through the mid stroke.

I am planning a complete rebuild/spray of the frame this winter, do you think an RC4 would help me out? Used they go for $300 all day, would be a small price to pay to breathe life into this frame IMO. This is my 3rd season with the frame/DHX. Thanks for any thoughts.

(Y)es the RC4 is best shock for the Sunday, but...
This is a handful of posts earlier on this page.
Really.

Metamorphic

Monkey
May 12, 2015
Cackalack
^^^ Haha thanks for giving me what I deserve. .....some Google fu got me all my answers. Will be getting one soon......

Last edited: