Quantcast

Taiwanese-made Frames and Components you love

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Yeah, take that!

I'll start.

- Wellgo pedals: don't cost $200+ and do the job pretty well
- FSA headsets: have split crown races, hooray!

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Azonic A Frames, using my 8yo A frames because I snapped an axle on my $200 pedals.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
HT pedals. Perform as well as any super expensive pedals I've tried.

My Banshee legend. Bombproof and trouble free after 2.5 seasons of crashes and broken bones.

Dartmoor raider rims. Surprisingly durable and so cheap you can replace them without sweating.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Are SDG taiwanese made? Judging by the pricing I'm guessing they are.

I'm a big fan of their gear, especially the I-beam / I-fly which I've had a few of since they came out, and have never managed to break one. They've been consistently lighter than the high dollar alternatives (eg. Thomson/Selle combos), and most of my friends run them now too.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
My Banshee legend. Bombproof and trouble free after 2.5 seasons of crashes and broken bones.
Funny you say Banshee, Legend and bombproof in one sentence. A lot of people I know wouldn't agree. ;)

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Novatec hubs
Superstar components
Easton handlebars
SDG stuff
SRAM stuff
Rock Shox stuff
Avid stuff
Crank Brothers clipless pedals
Stan's rims
Commencal Absolut DJ Ti

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Funny you say Banshee, Legend and bombproof in one sentence. A lot of people I know wouldn't agree. ;)
Mk2 production version? I know of no people with durability problems and I can tell you even though I'm light I tend to be heavy on gear. On RM forums from what I remember also no one had problems, same for the 7 ones I know of in Poland. Not to mention my google skills must be lacking since I see no mention of broken ones.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
without doing any research, I like everything on my bicycle, and i suspect the majority of it is in taiwan.

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
Taiwanese hookers are great; compared to the US produced hookers they will do almost anything and seem to retain their "like new" appearance.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Taiwanese hookers are great; compared to the US produced hookers they will do almost anything and seem to retain their "like new" appearance.
Dude, those are Thai hookers. Two totally different production models, even if the differences are hard to discern.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Dude, those are Thai hookers. Two totally different production models, even if the differences are hard to discern.
Naah. Thai hookers have serious QC problems. That assembly parts mixup thing has been beaten to death. I only go for quality Canadian hookers. I've heard they pack them in bacon before shipping.

qikss

Chimp
Apr 15, 2010
laguna
mOAR info please?

I'll add Transition Revolutions to the list. Been running them on the DJ for a while...no wobbles or dents. still roll perfect

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Aren't easton and mavic tw made? If yes that's the best argument for taiwan on the market.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
My Banshee Spitfire.... It may not be a Legend, but it has done all right by me so far.
1 year, no bushing wear, 3-4 rides per week.

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
It depends which fork. The dirt jump line is completely manufactured and assembled by suntour but a guy that has relations to marzocchi said that in the case of the 888 Evo TI the internals and at least the coating of the stanctions is made in italy and only the casting with bushings comes from suntour.

But suntour has stopped production for Marzocci in may but it's not clear where they move with production.

http://www.mtb-news.de/forum/showthread.php?t=576150

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
It depends which fork. The dirt jump line is completely manufactured and assembled by suntour but a guy that has relations to marzocchi said that in the case of the 888 Evo TI the internals and at least the coating of the stanctions is made in italy and only the casting with bushings comes from suntour.

But suntour has stopped production for Marzocci in may but it's not clear where they move with production.

http://www.mtb-news.de/forum/showthread.php?t=576150
So that's what 90-95% of Marzocchi made in Taiwan?

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Dunno. But problems with pivots getting sloppy in no time. Might be some Mk1's though.
That has nothing to do with the frame being bombproof and pivots being sloppy comes from the bushings in the MK1 which were basically protos. mk2 uses bearings and it took me 2.5 seasons to get needing change though still no play. and I pressure wash the crap out of them.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
in the case of the 888 Evo TI the internals and at least the coating of the stanctions is made in italy and only the casting with bushings comes from suntour.
Let's be honest here, anyone can churn out damper internals and alloy tubes, and coat or treat them with a fancy process. The difficult part to manufacture in a fork is the casting and bushing assembly, which is by your account still made in Taiwan.

But you vaguely imply this is a bad thing... when really it isn't. I think NSM very correctly pointed out in this thread or another one, that quality isn't about where something is made, it's about how strictly the processes are controlled. Obviously Marzocchi messed this up when they initially moved production there, resulting in casting/bushing related failures. But they've been sorted out for a few years and are now fine, if not better than they were. To make my point clearer, the same thing could have happened if production of a part was moved from Taiwan, to Italy or the US. It just happens that this inverse situation rarely occurs (obviously due to cost), hence misconceptions created.

IMO this is why companies like Specialized who have produced in Taiwan for a long time make frames that are built and welded to a standard that matches if not surpasses 'locally' made items, and happen to use some pretty advanced processes too. Imagine my surprise when I buy a 2010 V10 and the ISCG mount is cheesily welded on (on one side of the mount only), compared to a circa '03 Bighit where the entire mount is forged as one piece with the BB, neatly tapering into the shell...