Quantcast

Shuttle Day In Reading PA presented by Loweriders Derailed

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
Reading Downhill Ride Jam

READING, Pennsylvania (derailedonline.com) - Fresh start to a new season of riding on the east coast. Saturday, March 28 marks the first official Team Loweriders Derailed DH Ride Jam at the pagoda in Reading PA, There will a shuttle service running from 9am to 5pm.

For all interested parties, a donation to the team will get you as many rides up the
mountain as you want. A donation of $20 or higher would be greatly appreciated. There will be guided tours for those of you who are not familiar with the area. Also food and drink will be sold as well. All money collected will go to support the newly instated Team Loweriders Derailed.

The address is 98 Duryea Dr, Reading, PA‎. This is to the pagoda. If you continue up the hill a little farther you will see the fire tower. This is where the shuttling will be taking place. If anyone has any other questions about the event please contact Brian via email at this address: bry5006@psu.edu. Please RSVP with Brian if you plan to attend so a general head count can be taken for planning purposes. Thanks and remember to look before you leap and ride within your ability.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Steve, I might actually come to this. Depends on whether or not my sis needs help painting her new place. Any chance I could crash with you if I do make it?

Apr 16, 2006
Golden, CO
are there any plans to hold a race in the future? I personally really liked the course. Good variety, lots of fun.
That would be pretty tough to swing. The Pagoda-Skyline inc has done alot of work up there and alot of the word of holding another race looks grim. However nothing's impossible... Nothing on the scale of the former Reading Racing's event might be held but something with a system like freelap is always possible.

Freeriding up there is still fine however and we've become pretty friendly with the boss lady of pagoda-skyline, so come out to ride some kickass trails eitherway! Shuttling is quick and getting 6-8 runs or more in a day on 2-3 minute legit trails is not unheard of.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Aw crap - I'm super close - but still waiting on parts to fix/rebuild my Boxxer... I raced Duryea DH back in 05' - was a really good time. Hopefully I can make this...

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
maybe, if we have a good turnout we'll be able to do another one before lift season starts. The 3 weeks following this event the mountain will be closed to MTB due to a movie filming.

SDH

I'm normal
Oct 2, 2001
Northern Va.
Semi stupid question b/c I have not been there in a while...........read: long time

Is it a burly trail bike kinda place or full on DH sussie type of place. SO I know which to bring..........

thx

jsh191

Monkey
Nov 16, 2006
birdsboro, pa
Semi stupid question b/c I have not been there in a while...........read: long time

Is it a burly trail bike kinda place or full on DH sussie type of place. SO I know which to bring..........

thx
honestly... you can ride anything on the trails. just depends what you're comfortable on. i started riding a hardtail up there, moved to a 6 and 6, then to full dh. i now regularly go between my bottlerocket and gran mal, and have a blast on both. reading has a great mix of everything... smooth/buff... baby heads... long rock gardens... gnarly tech.... jumps... drops.... it's all there. bring what you like to ride, and you'll be fine.

Apr 16, 2006
Golden, CO
Yea you can definatly ride any of the trails on an AM bike just as fast as a DH bike as alot of riders up there do, but you'll just hafta work that much harder to get down the hill.

+ + +

For anyone interested Team Loweriders Derailed will be at Loweriders bikeshop in Downingtown, PA (link to website) this Saturday, March 21st serving up some pre-season stoke in the form of Food. Stop by if your local, or if your cruising by swing in for some grub and stokage. Currently they're having their winter clearance sale and everything from bikes to boards are marked down, just a heads up for anyone interested.

Casey - you know if M. Night Shimalayinalanalouey will be filming on the Rotary side, or is he pretty much locking down everything up there? Oh and I looked up his movie that he's filming, sounds like its about farting or something cause it's called "The Last Airbender", I just bent some air right now thinking about it. That'd be pretty cool if they could incorporate a DH'er into it.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2006
Golden, CO
I'm pretty sure "the last airbender" is the name of ano older anime flick, so if it's about farting it's gonna be animated japanese farting.
Ohhh, I see. So basically Shimalayinananan is trying to capture the essence of Terrance and Phillips, using the Pagoda as his setting. I will certaintly have to look into this movie!

Apr 16, 2006
Golden, CO
-----UPDATE-----

After some trailwork today, the guys rebuilt the bunker jump which was formerly claimed as housing by a Hobo (it's better than ever now!). We also have a BRAND NEW (well new to pretty much everyone) trail cleared, which brings a new level of steepness and tech to Mt. Penn.

The weather should hopefully be nice, low chance of rain on thursday, but that'll just keep the dust down. Saturday's temps of 60* will make for good rding, and the precipitation chances are very low, which could all but disappear in a week.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
-----UPDATE-----

After some trailwork today, the guys rebuilt the bunker jump which was formerly claimed as housing by a Hobo
that guy is a weirdo. my buddy and i had a stare down contest w/ him during the hill climb race.
the guy had a clothing line setup, kitchen and of course, the bedroom. he even had a tarp as a door

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
The "bunker Jump" was torn down a few months ago by a homeless man. He's gonna now and the jump has been rebuilt. We did some trail maintenance today, to repair this jump and another road gap. Here's Rod hitting the new Bunker Jump.

http://vimeo.com/3809960
for some reason the site won't let me embed the video

Keep hope alive, the weather looks like rain for the weekend, but hopefully it'll clear out for Saturday

Last edited: