Quantcast

Random new bike thread

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Perhaps a reversed @Sandwich-style seat post might help a little? :D
Yeah...
or perhaps just not buying a mountainbike frame with a steeper seat tube angle than you'd find on the steepest TIME TRIAL roadbikes ;)

I dunno... s'pose it depends how fast you want to get home from the trails along a flat dual carriageway (highway to you guys).

don't knock it 'til you've tried it tho, eh? ;)

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Quick & short update.
I like it. Not a great climber, but so am I and I don't really care, there's no uphill-tech around here anyway. It isn't a light bike by any means, 15,5kg in the current setup, Exo tires, no fancy parts, with a coil shock it will be around 16kg.
Shock setup is odd, needs a LOT of rebound damping, I got bucked on the first 30 meters of trail I rode in any kind of anger, becaus parking lot test count for shit...
Apart from that I like the shortish rear end, to me it feels like a shorter bike than the geo conveys, it is still a lot of bike and wheelbase to move around though. Thanks to Covid I'm still waiting for my rear shock, right now I've got a DT-Swiss R 535 as an interim lender from Simon. This shock, oddly enough, performs better than the Ext I had for a day. If I had to descibe the general feel, I'd say planted, lots of traction, not really playful, in parts this might be due to the required high rebound. If you're going mach stupid it's way more fun and get's way livelier.
Post a pic of your built up version if you can.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Errabody on that HSP train it seems. But man, that derailleur looks like it could use a little adjustment.

Also wonder how the shock is actuated, as its unclear to me.
Mr K9 works for them now so I guess it is a new LA link of some sorts.

Shame cannondale and GT are owned by the evil Canadians, their bikes are looking pretty decent nowadays.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
I wondered about this as well. Is it just a CNC tour de force or is there some advantage such as minimizing welds at tube junctions, a common point of failure, or reducing human labor/inconsistency in favor or presumably very precise and accurate CNC production?

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Nicolai did start with that years ago to make hollow yokes and small frame parts. They machined them in two halves and then welded them together. That makes sense as they were lighter and stonger parts than traditional CNC parts.
Pole uses a higher grade aluminum that cannot be welded, so here they think they can harvest benefits that a traditional tubed frame cannot offer. While I not necessarily agree, I get where they are coming from.
But now those guys use an alumnium that can be welded and make a full frame out of it? Why not a sheet moncoque tubeset if you want fancy shapes? At least the tubes would not have stress risers from an imperfect surface after machining. Polishing the CNC'd parts could also be an option.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Someone will start punching sheet metal like Intense used to but they will call it cold forging and they will make all of the money, people love forged things.

Wonder if Pole could 3D print a weld from powdered metal, or would that behave just as poorly as a traditional weld on their unweldaluminum?
Get Curtis to Braze the sucker, that would look nice.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Errabody on that HSP train it seems. But man, that derailleur looks like it could use a little adjustment.

Also wonder how the shock is actuated, as its unclear to me.
i was just thinking / noticing how many bikes nowadays are 4bar or variants. is the industry approaching a singularity?

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
looks flexy
I had a Moots Mootaineer in ‘00, (100mm travel) it was gorgeous...but SOOO flexy. And, curiously, really noisy. My friend said it was like being chased by an angry, rabid chicken.

Anyone wanna dissect how you think this thing rode just by looking at it?

One of the things I thought was really cool at the time was that you could move the lower shock mount forward and aft on that curved bar. It supposedly changed the travel/leverage ratio, but I don’t think I ever actually could tell much difference.
1611711849325.jpeg

Last edited:

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I know a few guys with ti hardtails, and they all creak like crazy while flexing.

The bikes, not the guys.

I had a Moots Mootaineer in ‘00, (100mm travel) it was gorgeous...but SOOO flexy. And, curiously, really noisy. My friend said it was like being chased by an angry, rabid chicken.

Anyone wanna dissect how you think this thing rode just by looking at it?

One of the things I thought was really cool at the time was that you could move the lower shock mount forward and aft on that curved bar. It supposedly changed the travel/leverage ratio, but I don’t think I ever actually could tell much difference.
View attachment 155761

Last edited: