Quantcast

Random new bike thread

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Surely they could release the frames though right? right? Or is that not the done thing because Lizards...

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Why not sell everything minus the wheels if they are what is missing?
Or bring a local custom wheel builder on board that can supply these?
That’s been an option for years. Every model has a frame set builder where you can start from the frame and add whatever you want, a la carte.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Ridemonkey: "Why don't bike companies offer the exact, weird spec of bike that I want?"

Also Ridemonkey: "Bikes are too expensive!"

Also also Ridemonkey: "I can't figure out what bike I want, there are too many options!"

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Ridemonkey: "Why don't bike companies offer the exact, weird spec of bike that I want?"

Also also Ridemonkey: "I can't figure out what bike I want, there are too many options!"

You forgot the part about getting angry when someone invents a part that isn't intended for you that don't have to buy.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
You forgot the part about getting angry when someone invents a part that isn't intended for you that don't have to buy.
You also have to have things that ride well for everyone but no component is to have a weight limit because that means it will fail catastrophically, no matter the weight of the rider.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008

Me: Offer a 559-er or GFTO!

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

also also also ridemonkey: "why can't i source a part for a 10 year old bike from a company thats no longer in business?"

also also also also sandwich: "why can't i make these differing standards work together?"

also also also also also sandwich: "does it come in neon?"

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Slightly odd travel #s on that Forbidden, though at the same time I'm glad we are now past the bizarre idea that travel should be exactly the same length front and back.

I'd still love to test ride any HSP to see how it feels.

Last edited:

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Still early days, but my insight on the mid-high pivot Shore -

Caveats
* I've pedaled around some highly rearward bikes before, but it's been years since the last one I tried
* I bought the Shore in spite of the high pivot, not because of it

- High pivot erases rock gardens better than any other design I've tried
- The implementation on the Shore (not as high of a pivot as something like the Aurum HSP) corners better than previous high pivot bikes I tried. This could be down to any number of factors, but I don't notice the chainstay lengthening as much cornering, however...
- Getting the front-end up is noticeably a lot more work due to the chainstay lengthening, the bike wants to stay on the ground. I think I can adapt to this on a DH bike, not sure if I could on a trail bike. Maybe if the chainstays were super short to start?

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Slightly odd travel #s on that Forbidden, though at the same time I'm glad we are now past the bizarre idea that travel should be exactly the same length front and back.
My last few bikes have all had 10-25mm more front travel than rear. I think a lot of brands have gone that way these days.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

Rear suspension is measured in vertical travel. If you consider the head angle of 63.5, a 170mm fork will give you 152mm of vertical travel.

Seems pretty balanced to me.

Slack bikes with even numbers are underforked IMO.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Rear suspension is measured in vertical travel. If you consider the head angle of 63.5, a 170mm fork will give you 152mm of vertical travel.

Seems pretty balanced to me.

Slack bikes with even numbers are underforked IMO.
So we are just supposed to Trust™ you?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
My last few bikes have all had 10-25mm more front travel than rear. I think a lot of brands have gone that way these days.
I've tended to correlate this trend to the appearance of bigger wheels. Started with early 650b, and became more pronounced with 29rs...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Wouldn't it be slightly over that because the effective angle decreases as the suspension compresses?

It depends on your sag, But you are going to have sag on both ends so the effective head angle will not change too much. I think most people run more sag on the aft end which would further slacken the head angle.

Last edited:

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
Why not sell everything minus the wheels if they are what is missing?
Or bring a local custom wheel builder on board that can supply these?
yup! This has been an option at GG for two years. just spec out a Megatrail, ask for 29er fork instead of the stock megatrail fork, and don’t spec wheels.

Like you can literally order this today!

approximately 0 have sold. Not that GG doesn’t want to offer mullets, just not seeing anyone actually buy them.

Last edited:

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Still early days, but my insight on the mid-high pivot Shore -

Caveats
* I've pedaled around some highly rearward bikes before, but it's been years since the last one I tried
* I bought the Shore in spite of the high pivot, not because of it

- High pivot erases rock gardens better than any other design I've tried
- The implementation on the Shore (not as high of a pivot as something like the Aurum HSP) corners better than previous high pivot bikes I tried. This could be down to any number of factors, but I don't notice the chainstay lengthening as much cornering, however...
- Getting the front-end up is noticeably a lot more work due to the chainstay lengthening, the bike wants to stay on the ground. I think I can adapt to this on a DH bike, not sure if I could on a trail bike. Maybe if the chainstays were super short to start?
Great feedback!

Based on a couple seasons on my Norco HSP I agree wholeheartedly about erasure of rock galleries. It's a real thing. Especially nice for a flat pedal guy like me.

I also agree about the front end being tougher to lift up--has no impact on me in normal riding, but it's hard as hell for me to wheely or manual the thing in a showy offy way.

The Norco corners well but it definitely wants long sweepers more than (f@#$ing) switchbacks--it's a slack long bike so it wants to go fast -- that said, I have no real difficulty getting through pretty tight corners just getting up over the front and making it happen. The trade off is that I feel like I can really attack loose, bumpy, fast or otherwise scary corners with enormous confidence.

I was kinda worried about jumping on the HSP but it's actually at least as good as any other DH bike I've had (Sunday, V10.5, GG/DH).

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
yup! This has been an option at GG for two years. just spec out a Megatrail, ask for 29er fork instead of the stock megatrail fork, and don’t spec wheels.

Like you can literally order this today!

approximately 0 have sold. Not that GG doesn’t want to offer mullets, just not seeing anyone actually buy them.
FWIW, Dustin just helped me order my MT stays today so I can mullet.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I also agree about the front end being tougher to lift up--has no impact on me in normal riding, but it's hard as hell for me to wheely or manual the thing in a showy offy way.
I haven't run into this on it yet, but the time I can see it being an issue is riding a trail blind and needing to do an emergency wheelie drop at low speed. Also bunny hopping to change lines is taking a lot of effort, but I'm going to try backing off the low speed rebound damping.

Last edited:

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
I haven't run into on this bike yet, but the time I can see it being an issue is riding a trail blind and needing to do an emergency wheelie drop at low speed. Also bunny hopping to change lines is taking a lot of effort, but I'm going to try backing off the low speed rebound damping.
Fair enough, sudden low speed wheelie drops are a very rare thing out my way--could see this being a bit hard.

Good call on the LSR. I tend to run things a bit slower out back in general for the sake of control and not getting bucked on jumps, but I've found that you can get away with faster rebound than I might otherwise run given the stability of the bike.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Damn you beat me to it........At least that is a MTB and not a confused Road Bike. Though does it have FAT TIRES on it?

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Let someone like Graeme Pitts take it out and slay all the STRAVA warriors on the 30-mile rides......