Quantcast

NOT Firing the Burner up again. The new RFX

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Not a Burner, that's the new RFX! ;)

Shame about the BB30, and the CS length is a head scratcher (17.2"), loving everything else. This or the Insurgent will eventually replace my Ibis.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Not a Burner, that's the new RFX! ;)

Shame about the BB30, and the CS length is a head scratcher (17.2"), loving everything else. This or the Insurgent will eventually replace my Ibis.
:bonk::imstupid: Sorry, too little sleep, too much hype. A bad combination indeed.

Talking about the bike, I'd vow for a threaded BB too, and maybe the CS could have been shorter using a linkage like the Pivots do. But that would certainly make the bike unrideable, and meant only to be liked by Richard Cunningham.

Last edited:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
RFX is reborn! MTBR forum will suddenly drop in post volume by 50%. I think turner is going to sell a few of these.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I foresee much replacing of cable housing, or rigging up some after-thought tube to protect the cable. Neither of which should be the case on a $3k frame.
the way they handle cable in general looks bad on that thing.
As much as I prefer external cable routing for ease of replacement and swappability, Turner himself over on mtbr said that the reverb cable end will not fit into the internal port on the seattube, and that the user should cut the cable to the right length, insert it, add the end cap, then bleed it. Isn't that kind of what internal cable routing is? Isn't that a giant fucking pain in the ass? If you're going to do shit like that, you may as well do all the shit like that, and make it clean while you do it. Just my opinion.

The bike otherwise looks pretty dialed. I'd like to see bigger wheels, but 650b 160mm not trail bikes are apparently what sells these days. Should be a ripper.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
the way they handle cable in general looks bad on that thing.
It's really similar to the Megatrail (including the exact same clamps) except that the rear derailleur cable goes through the chainstay for the exact reason that @big-ted put forth. It works pretty well. Clamping on the sides of the headtube seems weird though. I assume they did that because the headtube/downtube junction is so long.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
As much as I prefer external cable routing for ease of replacement and swappability, Turner himself over on mtbr said that the reverb cable end will not fit into the internal port on the seattube, and that the user should cut the cable to the right length, insert it, add the end cap, then bleed it. Isn't that kind of what internal cable routing is? Isn't that a giant fucking pain in the ass? If you're going to do shit like that, you may as well do all the shit like that, and make it clean while you do it. Just my opinion.
Yeah. Having bought a covert Thomson, I'm not sure I'd do it again. It looks purdy and not having a big loop of cable is sort of cool I guess (but that never bothered me so...) but it's definitely more of a PITA to route and set up, and definitely took some trial and error to get things neat and tidy. Doing it with hydraulics would make me want to shoot myself in the face I suspect.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Fast forward to 2016 and the RFX is better than ever, using Toray High Modulus Carbon Fiber we were able to tune the ride of the new RFX to maximize its enduroability. As to be expected from a Turner Bike, there is fantastic tire clearance even with massive 2.4 tires, 160mm travel, dw-Link suspension, and an all new headtube dimension allowing customization of the head angle in half degree increments to a very slack 65° with a 160 fork. Some could build it up light as a long-travel trail bike, while others will build it up as a mid-travel Park slayer. In between is the true purpose of the RFX: Enduro domination. Whether you are riding the gnarliest local trails or the Enduro World Series, let the RFX redefine your experience.
They just want you to know that it's sick at ENDURO

RayB

Monkey
Jan 31, 2008
Seattle
Dentists keep wrenchscience in business :D
True dat! Though, it's really dentists on road bikes. :) [ as an FYI, I don't work there ]

My thoughts are:

- Visually, a pretty cool looking bike. Probably rides great.
- Reach #'s seem too short, relative to other bikes in the same genre.
- I read the lack of internal cable routing & Dave Turner's response to why there isn't and chalked it up to him being stubborn. Which brings me to my last point......
- Turner (who used to have a cult following in the 5-6" trail bike market) was/has-been hurting financially for years because of the unwillingness to make carbon bikes (despite the market demanding it). Hopefully this isn't "too little, too late", because the market is really saturated with really good (if not better) carbon "enduro" bikes, and it's a race to the bottom price-wise.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Ooh. I just had an idea.

Top tube howitzer.

That would be rad.
jonkranked and I got drunk and duct taped a beer bottle to the handlebars of a DJ bike, and put a bunch of fireworks in it in the Platty parking lot one time. That was fun.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
why do people love short chainstays?? do you not like to go fast? fucking scary at speed when they are short. 17.25-17.4 on 27650b.5 please and thank you.
got to agree. 17.2 is pretty on the money. A little less with a higher pivot bike. A little less with bigger wheels. Anything from like 17.3-17 is really pretty much on the money. Anything shorter than 16.9 gets really sketchy.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
i give you rock jeasus, i give you mignarr, i give you graves, i give you rude, i give you ME. Now learn to ride noob!
rockjesus on a bike that moved the front wheel forward over an inch. Plus ghosts and stuff.

Mignarr on a company with notoriously short dh frames for a given size.

Two downhillers racing endurpo wanting longer trail bikes...one of them the size of Godzilla.......shocking.

If you want to have a serious discussion about this, I'm down. But there's nothing inherently scary or sketchy about all short chainstays without talking about what else goes on with the bike. One of the most stable bikes I've ever ridden has a 16.8" chainstay.

But I'm also a really good bike rider who can go fast on anything. :D

Seriously, there are no universal truths like that, that really mean squat. What if that turner extends to longer than the yeti at sag? Or half an inch shorter? That matters more than the static measurement.

Sandwich: you said cannondale. That didn't set off a number of different alarms in your head? How can you focus on just one?

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I've got a friend with a jekyl who sent me a random text not too long ago asking how low my BB was.....he kept hitting his feet and thought his bike was too low. It was just under 2 INCHES higher than mine :rofl:

He's a really good bike rider but watching him on that thing.......eesh.

plus pull shock

wiscodh

Monkey
Jun 21, 2007
agreed, but all the peoples who instantly claim that the chainstays need to be shorter than 12inches need to fuck off. Some of us actually do enjoy a nice fat ass.

its all personal, i guess i just like to whiskey it and ride off the back.

bike company seem to listen to fucktwats all too often and they all bitch about short this short that. I MEAN BOOST, they could have gotten it short if they used boost. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
the peoples who instantly claim that the chainstays need to be shorter than 12inches need to fuck off.
Agreed. 11 is where it's at. :D

I was serious about your height though. I'm 5'8" and I'm not delusional enough to think that's not part of the equation. For me it's a cornering/weight on the rear wheel thing because we have shitty dirt here and (like the rest of the world) turns that are shaped for people going half trail speed. And definitely for popping off things. There's less leverage to pitch your forward with shorter stays. Bet even a shorter front end helps overcome that sometimes. Someone taller than me has more leverage over that system however so that's part of it too.

But I've had a bike with 17.5" chainstays that I thought was less stable than a few with 16.7 ish ones. It's just not a universal truth that all longer chainstays equate to stability. Overall wheelbases have way more to do with that in my mind.

Anyway.....for 650 frames, 17.2 doesn't seem long OR short to me. Long is the burner and short is whatever the hell specialized makes (most of which I tend to like).

Last edited:

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I foresee much replacing of cable housing, or rigging up some after-thought tube to protect the cable. Neither of which should be the case on a $3k frame.
have you never seen a chain eat away a unprotected chainstay before? now imagine what it would do to a shifter housing
Ok I see the concern now.
My 5.spot has the elevated stays so it isn't an issue, but this surely would be. Maybe Turner should include a Lizard Skins stay wrap with every frame