Quantcast

NOT Firing the Burner up again. The new RFX

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Santa Cruz no makey carbon frame, Specialized no makey frame, Trek no makey (most) their frames, Cannondale no makey.
Yeti, Rocky Mountain, Ibis, Intense, Evil, Pivot, Felt, Transition, Ellsworth (haha) all no makey their own carbon frames.

Giant makey their own carbon frames.

Pretty much all the companies (not many) in Asia that make carbon frames have been doing it for a while.
But you still get what you pay for....
Santa Cruz owns the factory where their frames are made. No other company's frames are made in that factory. I'd say they make their own frames, just not in their Santa Cruz location.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I checked out the new RFX in NV last week but just touched, didn't get to ride. I haven't read an overly critical/negative review yet, but no bike is perfect for all people. Without riding my opinion is meaningless, I know. That said ...

The design is definitely more industrial than it's carbon counterparts in that niche (Pivot, Yeti, etc) which use more swoopy, curvy, bendy tube shapes. I like it. There is obvious attention to detail and it looks burly as hell. The seat stay design is really interesting as it is without a traditional brace, rather the two sides are joined down near the lower pivot link. The upper link must provide some serious stability or it LOOKS like that would be a flex point. Overall it appears to be a pretty awesome bike and build and I hope DT sells a ton of them.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Santa Cruz owns the factory where their frames are made. No other company's frames are made in that factory. I'd say they make their own frames, just not in their Santa Cruz location.
The new EVIL frames are in the SC factory BTW....