Quantcast

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
You guys want to see, go kill your own!!!!! Or hit up your neighbor who already did!!!!! Or if your afraid to ask, just sneak in when there not home and steal it, the true American way!!!
You're off my dead animal Christmas card list.

Monkey
I was making teh comment because I saw the preconception that a shotgun is an easier way to hunt an animal, Also wanted to point out that it is indeed NOT a shot gun, but a Slug gun, which fires a Single projectile. Not multiple
it has shotgun receiver, with a special barrel, uses shotgun rounds. It has to follow all laws on shotguns. For all intent and purpose, it's a shotgun. It can still fire shotgun shells(I think) so as far as the Feds are concerned, it's a shotgun.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
it has shotgun receiver, with a special barrel, uses shotgun rounds. It has to follow all laws on shotguns. For all intent and purpose, it's a shotgun. It can still fire shotgun shells(I think) so as far as the Feds are concerned, it's a shotgun.
Regular shot shells in that Barrel will destry the barrel, it is designed to fire slugs only, it does have to follow lawas and standard of shot guns, but it is classified as a slug gun. Shot barrel, smooth inside, larder at the chamber, choked down to control your spread. Slug gun, straight barrel, no choke, rifled barrel to induce a spin on the projectile for accuracy.

While it "Can" fire a shot shell, it will ruin the barrel

JacobDW

Monkey
Feb 22, 2005
Manassas, VA
since my thread went to 17 pages.... does it count as an epic thread? that would be really cool.... Id mount that before I mounted those antlers...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I am so glad there is a length, nasty, argument-filled thread and I have no opinion on the subject.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
as apposed to a curved barrel?
Not curved, chocked. As in the end that meets the chamber is larger than the end where the projectiles leave the gun. The barrel of a Shot barrel is chamfered and gets progressivly smaller as the Wadding, and Shots leave the travel from the chamber to the end of the barrel. The actual choke of the Barrel is at the very end, and that is how the spread of the load<no jokes> is controled. Tighter choke, less spread, better range, more concetrated hit. Less choke, less range wider spread, less concentrated hit. There is a little more to it than that, but that is a basic overveiw of the difference between the two

If one new more about the sport, this wouldnt be part of the discussion

shocktower

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Molalla Oregon
Have you seen the breakdown of population and metropolitan areas lately? 93% of the population of the US lives in built up areas. The vast majority of these people do not hunt. I am 100% positive that those who hunt are in the vast minority compared to those who do not find sport in killing wild animals.
That is so true ,I like it that way ,less hunters give me more opps. to sportingly harvest an animal ,for the sole purpose is to eat ,and one day my sons will carry the tradition on ,they enjoy the whole deal of hunting,I don`t care what you do just as long as it does not hurt another person ,so my life style bothers you ,well its been around since man put his feet on this earth ,get over it go feed the poor souls who can not function in society and leave me alone ...:nopity::nopity:

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Its not a matter of knowing more about farming, its a fact that if you are buying a leather jacket, boots, shoes whatever, you are still supporting and contributing to animal abuse/killing.

I know Cows arent slaughtered for leather, I know they are slaughtered for the meat. Go back, read the first part of what I said again. It was a statement aimed at those that are praising not killing animals, and putting any and all animal cruelty as something they are never a part of. I called out that just being a vegetarian does not mean you no longer contribute to those factors.

Now, lets talk about that wonderfull Dairy farm, where animals are no longer breeding in a natural manor, They are being breed to exacting standards, no more natural semmination, its done by a ranch hand reachin up the rar, stimulating the "Cervix" and artificially semminating the Cow. All in the name of making life better, having a product that by nature we were not intended to continue to have as our body's age, but we just take from another animal.

By the way, how is your leg doing?
ok then so I don't eat meat or dairy products but I'm not vegan because I use animal by-products such as leather and lanolin...but by your definition I'm still supporting the killing of animals???

Oh and leg sucks I will have a permanent limp and can never run full speed or race bikes again...but life goes on...D

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
ok then so I don't eat meat or dairy products but I'm not vegan because I use animal by-products such as leather and lanolin...but by your definition I'm still supporting the killing of animals???

Oh and leg sucks I will have a permanent limp and can never run full speed or race bikes again...but life goes on...D

Just out of curiousity, how do you give up dairy so easily but have a hard time giving up leather? I gave up meat, leather and any products that knowingly contribute to animal cruelty about 10 years ago but dairy has been the hardest one to shake. It's in so many food and beverage products that we consume on a daily basis.

I have friends that lead healthy vegan lives but it's something I can only seem to fully achieve for 6 months at a time. I always tell people it's really easy to be vegetarian but ridiculously hard to be vegan.

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
Dr. William C. Roberts, M.D. - executive director of the Baylor Cardiovascular Institute of Baylor University Medical Center in Dallas, TX disagrees with you:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1594/is_1_13/ai_82352627
we are without a doubt omnivores.

how would the human race still be around and still evolving if our bodies didn't evolve and adapt to eating meat in the first place?

from article: " "As intriguing as these arguments may be, the idea that humans are natural vegetarians has "no scientific basis in fact," "

and this, "According to a 1999 article in the journal The Ecologist, several of our physiological features "clearly indicate a design" for eating meat, including "our stomach's production of hydrochloric acid, something not found in herbivores. Furthermore, the human pancreas manufactures a full range of digestive enzymes to handle a wide variety of foods, both animal and vegetable."

edit: "humans have eaten meat for 2.5 million years or more, according to fossil evidence"

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005

Not my Definition, but if you follow it far enough down the line, your still supporting the killing of animals, you in fact wearing an animals Skin, they had to die to get it, weather or not they were killed for the meat, or for the hide. Fact is you cant be sure either way. I know we like to say that they are killed for the meat, and the "other" stuff is always an after effect. There are alot of animals that are killed for there fur alone, and in teh past, alot of animals were killed for there fur alone.

That would be where my comment about having to become full vegan to truly not support kiling/abuse of animals.

Anyways, That sucks about the leg bro, I remember that tumble well. You landed at My wifes feet. I saw it, and of coarse tried putting it out of my head, and DJ starts asking about you, and Chris tells him how is was compound fracture ETC..... While I am in teh start gate.....Hope someday there will be a way it can heal better.

P.S. I came across the Pre op picture the other day, gives me shivers every time I have seen it.

that's because humans weren't meant to be vegatarians. nature/nurture ;)
Well put.

Are we still beating the dead deer?

Duh, this is Ridemonkey, this will be the next 500 page thread. Didnt you get the bulletin???

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Duh, this is Ridemonkey, this will be the next 500 page thread. Didnt you get the bulletin???
I try to skip the memos. I read them and I feel all dirty on the inside.

Instead I am going to watch "One Missed Call" and wonder why I ever dated shannyn sossamon in middle school.

shocktower

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Molalla Oregon
I try to skip the memos. I read them and I feel all dirty on the inside.

Instead I am going to watch "One Missed Call" and wonder why I ever dated shannyn sossamon in middle school.
Why bring her up again ,get over it :nopity:,and check your memos ,dam attorneys putting things off J/K

Attorneys are like women they take your money and have no remorse Tom H

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Wow. I can't believe I read this entire moronic thread. I have the following to add:

-If hunting were easy, it would be called "finding".

-With hunting, while the animal has no physical weapon for self defense, it has a much better chance of survival than a herd of cattle in a pen, who are then lined up on a conveyor belt, rendered unconscious with a pneumatic slug (ever see "No Country for Old Men"?), then are hung up and lacerated to bleed to death. Deer might not have knives or guns, but they've got a sense of hearing many times better than a human, and can outrun even the fastest human.

-The human species didn't get to the top of the food chain by eating just berries and nuts and vegetables. We learned to adapt, we learned to survive, we learned to use tools. I have nothing against those who are vegetarian, but when groups like PETA and all the associated crazies get up in arms over those of us who want to stay on top of the food chain, I really wish they would just STFU, and go back to living in caves and flinging poo at each other. That's where we'd probably be if we didn't assert our dominance over other animals by eating them. <this comment is meant to be taken with a grain of organic, gluten free salt>

-With hunting, as with any sport, there's always going to be a few people at the extremes who create the stereotypes. Very rarely will you actually see a good hunter, because that's kinda the point. [Yea I could get technical here about rules regarding coloration and safety, but I hope everyone will get the point].

-Shooting guns at a range is great practice, but that's all it is: practice. It removes almost all the variables of what makes hunting challenging so you can focus on using a firearm safely and properly. When you go out into the woods with a firearm (or a bow for that matter), its a different world. How quiet you are, what colors you're wearing, your scent, where you are physically located, all that plays a factor. To make an analogy appropriate for RM, a shooting range is pretty much the equivalent of sitting in your garage on a set of rollers. Its great practice, but it removes all the variables of what makes trail riding / mountain biking challenging and exciting.

edit: one other thing to add...

For those of you who have a problem with hunting, but still eat meat... I view it as the passing the buck approach. There's no blood on your hands, so why should you care, right? Kinda hypocritical if you ask me. You want to reap the benefits of slaughtering an animal, yet you want nothing to do with the slaughtering and butchering of it.

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Wow. I can't believe I read this entire moronic thread. I have the following to add:

-If hunting were easy, it would be called "finding".

-With hunting, while the animal has no physical weapon for self defense, it has a much better chance of survival than a herd of cattle in a pen, who are then lined up on a conveyor belt, rendered unconscious with a pneumatic slug (ever see "No Country for Old Men"?), then are hung up and lacerated to bleed to death. Deer might not have knives or guns, but they've got a sense of hearing many times better than a human, and can outrun even the fastest human.

-The human species didn't get to the top of the food chain by eating just berries and nuts and vegetables. We learned to adapt, we learned to survive, we learned to use tools. I have nothing against those who are vegetarian, but when groups like PETA and all the associated crazies get up in arms over those of us who want to stay on top of the food chain, I really wish they would just STFU, and go back to living in caves and flinging poo at each other. That's where we'd probably be if we didn't assert our dominance over other animals by eating them. <this comment is meant to be taken with a grain of organic, gluten free salt>

-With hunting, as with any sport, there's always going to be a few people at the extremes who create the stereotypes. Very rarely will you actually see a good hunter, because that's kinda the point. [Yea I could get technical here about rules regarding coloration and safety, but I hope everyone will get the point].

-Shooting guns at a range is great practice, but that's all it is: practice. It removes almost all the variables of what makes hunting challenging so you can focus on using a firearm safely and properly. When you go out into the woods with a firearm (or a bow for that matter), its a different world. How quiet you are, what colors you're wearing, your scent, where you are physically located, all that plays a factor. To make an analogy appropriate for RM, a shooting range is pretty much the equivalent of sitting in your garage on a set of rollers. Its great practice, but it removes all the variables of what makes trail riding / mountain biking challenging and exciting.

edit: one other thing to add...

For those of you who have a problem with hunting, but still eat meat... I view it as the passing the buck approach. There's no blood on your hands, so why should you care, right? Kinda hypocritical if you ask me. You want to reap the benefits of slaughtering an animal, yet you want nothing to do with the slaughtering and butchering of it.

Must spread Rep!!!!!

Oh thought I would stoke the fire again!!!!!

Deer are not defenseless

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
hey you're still posting, aren't you?? :biggrin:

edit: Can't remember from reading the whole thread, but have you ever hunted?
I went out twice when I was in HS but didn't even see anything (thank God). I was actually a die hard meat eater until I was 18. I used to make fun of vegetarians and supported all things meat. But then I swallowed the red pill and look where it got me. :lighten: [arguing with strangers on the internet]

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I went out twice when I was in HS but didn't even see anything (thank God). I was actually a die hard meat eater until I was 18. I used to make fun of vegetarians and supported all things meat. But then I swallowed the red pill and look where it got me. :lighten:
Like I said, I have nothing wrong with your choice to be vegetarian. Nothing whatsoever, I don't look down on you for your decision. But from what I've read I question whether or not you have mutual respect for those of us who do eat animals and don't act like a bunch of ass hats about it.

I used to hunt, and I bagged only a handful of deer. Field dressing isn't exactly the most pleasant of experiences, but it gave me a lot more respect for what goes into getting food(meat) on my table to eat. The only reason I haven't hunted the last few years is because I wasn't in a location or have the means to do so.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not some crazy redneck (only partial redneck :biggrin:) driving a monster truck with a confederate flag screamin' WWWWWHOOOOOOOOOO-WEEEEEEEEEEEE LETS GO KILL US SUM CRITTERSSS!!!! OH THERE'S VARMINT!!! KA-BLOW!! Hunting and being is definitely a skill, and one that seems to be dying out.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Just out of curiousity, how do you give up dairy so easily but have a hard time giving up leather? I gave up meat, leather and any products that knowingly contribute to animal cruelty about 10 years ago but dairy has been the hardest one to shake. It's in so many food and beverage products that we consume on a daily basis.

I have friends that lead healthy vegan lives but it's something I can only seem to fully achieve for 6 months at a time. I always tell people it's really easy to be vegetarian but ridiculously hard to be vegan.
I don't know it was pretty easy for me. It might have been easier since my wife is a full on Vegan. I still eat cheese about once a month but I have been to the farm and know the owners personally. I only buy by-products that are truly by-products. I never have nor ever will use fur. Even fake fur perpetuates the image that fur looks good on people.

With certain things though it's hard to find vegan replacements like running shoes, construction boots or cycling shoes to name a few. If I do find Vegan shoes than they're typically made in some overseas sweatshop so I'm screwed either way.

I do want to say that I loved eating meat but until they change how the animals are treated I can not support such an industry....D