Quantcast

Maribor WC 2021

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
If Maes puts his new Gt trailbike on the podium the Pinkbike comment sections will be more entertaining than the actual race itself!
Love the throwback paintjob
s1200_Maribor21_52i7727.jpg

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van
god damn, more dropping like flies:

wynmasters

Well everything looked so good..kit bike everything was looking dialed thanks to @gtfactoryracing but then Friday the 13th just bit me real good, a mechanical failure completely out of my control lead to a big crash and a 5th metacarpal fracture, at least my hospital crew was a good one @goncaloccb @rafaelgutierrez6 @finniles @bernard_kerr always make the best from even the worst times! Hoping @lorikid27 and anyone else that went down today is doing alright! Guess I’m just on #WynTV duty now.

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
Damn that track is rugged! Taking people out left and right.

Team Croissant for Maribor is looking strong, except for Benoit with a flat.
Dropped Holl from my team, probably means she'll win now... :D

Matthew Sterling from Santa Cruz? :rockout:

Looks like Neko still has the Gwinn Flu...

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
Damn that track is rugged! Taking people out left and right.

Team Croissant for Maribor is looking strong, except for Benoit with a flat.
Dropped Holl from my team, probably means she'll win now... :D

Matthew Sterling from Santa Cruz? :rockout:

Looks like Neko still has the Gwinn Flu...
That flu is Intense

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Looks like a good course...

I'll wait for highlights bit I did watch a few POV runs and some coverage... always inspiring...love the talent....
The top is a huge pump track but with dust, the bottom has some stupid fast sections. There is something wonky going on with the last berm to jump when you exit the woods before the finish line. Dean Lucas crashed there. Some other lesser known rider crashed there next to me. People are getting bucked and basically flying off the jump sideways (w/o bike). The crash I saw looked horrible. Hope the guy that crashed is ok. He rode off but it seemed it was more motivation that being ok as the crash didn't look ok.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
The top is a huge pump track but with dust, the bottom has some stupid fast sections. There is something wonky going on with the last berm to jump when you exit the woods before the finish line. Dean Lucas crashed there. Some other lesser known rider crashed there next to me. People are getting bucked and basically flying off the jump sideways (w/o bike). The crash I saw looked horrible. Hope the guy that crashed is ok. He rode off but it seemed it was more motivation that being ok as the crash didn't look ok.
The course pov I watched looked like it was decent and gonna be fast...no nasty woods and hips out like some...yeah a tarmack finish is a bit odd...going to be interesting to see if anyone rolls lugs coming in hot....I think top mid wasn't bad...yeah not the fort but still should be decent...the middle long grass section looks odd from old to new....

I'd like to see courses for back to actually DH and less bike park style...the designers were supposed to start implanting that. Granted there will be carnage but reaction times and handling will be on point...how's the atmosphere around you?

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Last I checked Maribor was dry AF, but not literally on fire, so it looks like the bike rally will be going down tomorrow if our luck holds (and there's enough racers left standing to actually hold said race). So lets jump straight into an in depth analysis of the critical race data points:

- So everyone knows about the reverse psychology trick early settlers played with Greenland and Iceland (i.e. Greenland was actually a frozen waste and Iceland was decidedly less frozen wastey), but what many people don't know is that the same is true of Slovenia and the lesser known Fastvenia. All the fast mother fuckers actually hang out in Slovenia, whereas slow AF riders (a.k.a. "Monkeys") create waist deep braking bumps and talk about how unridebru modern bikes are in Fastvenia.

- According to the highly accurate and informative world map in my daughter's room, the main export from Slovenia is electronics...news to me, but if true, maybe Slovenia should be set on fire if they are the primary source of e-bikes.

- Somehow Slovenia and Slovakia do not border one another. Whoever is in charge of eastern European country naming fucked this up big time. At least the flags are pretty close (with Slovenia's actually having a mountain icon in it, which is pretty bad ass)

- This picture was taken in Maribor in 1941 when the Nazis were on their merry way to get bled dry, and eventually donkey punched, in western Russia. Thankfully most or all of these genocidal anal spawn were quite dead a few years later.

- Maribor is pretty close to the Karawank mountain chain of the Alps. Mainly, its just fun to say "Karawank".

- Damn, these people know whats up when it comes to coat of arms...Check out Maribor's...thats damn near tattoo worthy

- Just like with basically the rest of the world, its brutally hot there right now. Hopefully countries can start working lumps of coal into their respective coat of arms.

- PSA: Turns out "Navy Strength" gin means higher octane booze.

Welp, that's more than enough for Vegas to handicap this Emergency Room drama into an obvious podium...

5. @bullcrew: If Gwin isn't there, someone has to torture a misaligned aluminum Intense frame, so it might as well be this guy. Its hard to say if this particular Neanderthal is really a Monkey, since he doesn't sport 34 % body fat like the rest of us, but I'll allow it. Point being, our favorite hulking sender gets weird in Maribor with his beat AF Intense 951...or M1...or whatever museum piece he's running these days. Throwing on some Mag 30's and Maxxis High Rollers (filled with Loctite Tite Foam rather those pesky tire inserts) and a Zoch Monster, the Bulll smashes his way onto the podium...and yes, later he bench presses the entire podium with the other 4 riders on it.

4. Shaun Palmer: another oldie but goldie! The days of cocaine mountains and freebasing Jack Daniels may be over, but the golden god that is Palmer jumps on board the seckzy new Gold Finger Trek Session and obliterates the Maribor moon dust puddles into the troposphere. Donning his signature gold riding jacket, Palmer cuts the Maribor dust into smooth lines on a mirror and snorts it home into 4th place.

3. Luka Dončić: The modern day Larry Bird is in his home country to celebrate his freshly inked $207 million contract, so what better way to have some off season fun than to go bicycle racing? His secret to success? A high pivot bike that has a pivot 4 feet above his head, sporting 2 feet of rearward axle path. With these amazing kinematics, he is only vaguely aware he's riding a bumpy DH track. Further evidence that the only rideable bikes these days are high pivot mullets.

2. Greg Minnaar: Because fuck Tom Brady...Seriously, this AARP member is still (somehow) on the pointy end of the fuck spear, and it won't be surprising to see him on the podium. How is this even possible?

1. The Delta: What's faster than the delta variant? Nothing as it turns out...The unmasked bandit that is the current scourge of the planet gathers enough enough X-mas colored virus particles to take on an anthropomorphic form, which happens to be a dead ringer for Delta Burke. The original '80s Delta was bad enough, but this one is even worse, and easily wins the top step via high velocity sneezing...infecting any non-Texan almost instantly along the way (Texans being immune to, well, everything it seems). I for one welcome our new overlord.

Gospas:

1. Viking lady
2. Camye
3. Pom Pom
4. Monica
5. Seagraves

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
The course pov I watched looked like it was decent and gonna be fast...no nasty woods and hips out like some...yeah a tarmack finish is a bit odd...going to be interesting to see if anyone rolls lugs coming in hot....I think top mid wasn't bad...yeah not the fort but still should be decent...the middle long grass section looks odd from old to new....

I'd like to see courses for back to actually DH and less bike park style...the designers were supposed to start implanting that. Granted there will be carnage but reaction times and handling will be on point...how's the atmosphere around you?
People like the track outside of the last corner. The dust creates some not fun crashes but that's the weather not the track really. Still better than rain since the ground here either doesn't change when it rains or if it rains a lot it instantly switches into a bog where it's unrideable.

The pumptrack feel doesn't come from the builders but from natural undulations of the ground. The mountain has a ton of valleys and rollers so even if you just walk the forest it will be like this. Though imho the Pohorje mountain here is such a good hill for building trails all you need is a take and some tape and you can have 10 amazing trails done in no time. I've ridden some illegal ones 10 years ago with the locals and they are fun.

To be honest the dh track here is really fun to ride. The only problem is it requires a ton of fitness since it's fast and has a lot of sections that require a lot of energy since you do a lot of doubling, pumping and traverse riding. I remember always feeling destroyed after trying to ride it in larger sections fast

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
SPOILERS

anyone else hold their breath after Vali's slip in the rock garden? geez
I was pretty sure it was all over at that point. At least she got down without a crash. Actually, I thought that all of the women rode really well.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Go KOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Ya fucker!

lucked out where he was spat

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
She will get one. She's just gotta figure out the formula.

Fucken hell this track is mental. This German Max dude is hauling, the top 5 will be off the chain