Quantcast

HONDA... A picture says a thousand words

bagtagley

Monkey
Jun 18, 2002
VA
bizutch has a point. It wouldn't be the first time Honda cut corners to gain market share. Just look at the Passport. This is just a much smaller, pickier less profitable market...with lots of speculators.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
OGRipper said:
The oil theory is interesting but might be giving Honda too much credit.

As for the cost, a company as big as Honda will no doubt sell these bikes at a loss when entering the market. It's called a loss leader, most of you know what that is. It's possible that they are just winging it but much more likely that they have a longe-range plan pursuant to which they don't expect to see profits or break even for a long time. So they can have a target MSRP lower than actual unit cost, especially to start when the unit cost is higher.

..... :D
Thank you! Thats about the only thing in ths thread that makes any sense other than the post about outsourcing. But even the outsourcing aspect is included in the "bigger picture" that you have alluded to. The truth is, assuming that Honda is going to sell it, NOBODY KNOWS WHY!!! There are a lot of reasons for a company like Honda to get into a new market. Part of it may have to do with expected MX crossover. Or, they may look at it as a project that will gain them free exposure in MX mags. They may not give a damn about mtb riding at all. The only published article that I have read on it said that it was built as an excercise to get their designers to think outside the box. Who know's. I honnestly hope that the bike will provide the mtb industry with a much-needed shot in the arm.

And here is somehting else to get an e-spec hardon over: Anyone notice that Honda was a sponsor of the Anglefire coverage on OLN? I'm SURE that this was subliminal advertising on their part to get people ready for the offical mass-market introduction of the bike coupled with a plan that will lead to world peace.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Repack said:
Funny, you are Repack in the Boston area, I used to live in Boston and now I ride Repack now and then out here in Cali. Uh yeah. Well it's funny to me. :)

Anyway, I love to e-spec but for me the really cool thing about this bike was all the mystery about the drivetain. Sure it's great that they have mobilized showa and these other companies to help, and the stuff looks promising but, I dunno, I just can't seem to get too psyched about it. Especially if the brakes and suspension parts are not available aftermarket, which might be the case.

I guess I'm still waiting for the real "bombs" about this bike to drop.

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
id bet that the only reason honda built this bike was to test suspension for moto applications...i doubt a production model will ever be built

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
wydopen said:
id bet that the only reason honda built this bike was to test suspension for moto applications...i doubt a production model will ever be built
here is a hint - search. Big thread on this before, they have already said it WILL be going into production. And now a pre production/production bike is on display. sheesh.

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
do u do a search before every comment u make...sorry i missed that little bit of info..u seem more like an ebitch than an ebully..

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
wydopen said:
do u do a search before every comment u make...sorry i missed that little bit of info..u seem more like an ebitch than an ebully..
Actually when i comment in a thread about a subject, i do make sure I know what I am talking about first. Especially a subject that has been discussed ad-naseum for 2 years.

Also, way to act your show size and not your age! :rolleyes:

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
Transcend said:

wtf????..i obviously didnt know that "they" said there was gonna be a production bike or i wouldnt have said it...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Transcend said:
Actually when i comment in a thread about a subject, i do make sure I know what I am talking about first. Especially a subject that has been discussed ad-naseum for 2 years.

i make sure i know the correct spelling of phrases such as ad nauseum before using them :nuts: :D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
.:Jeenyus:. said:
Have you become the offical grammar/spelling Nazi now?
i haven't had much time to actually post content to the boards, and i notice these things anyway. plus fraser's my e-buddy so i'm allowed to bust his balls, especially when he's trying to call someone out himself

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
kinda funky but still, no more rear derailleur is the best idea since suspension forks

gonzostrike

Monkey
May 21, 2002
Montana
WheelieMan said:
Doesn't matter how capable Honda's manufacturing ability is. When you produce only 250 of something, it's going to be very expensive. (not sure who quoted that number or if it's even accurate)
well, "very expensive" is pretty subjective.

as to raw numbers and costs to produce being indicated by the Mfr's asking price, look at the Knolly V-Tach, coming to market soon (if not right now, you'd have to ask Noel). The runs are not even close to 250 frames. The price isn't anywhere close to $10k USD.

Honda has much greater manufacturing power, not to mention gigantic economic scale advantages over Knolly Bikes.

it will be interesting to see how the prices compare. I'd guess the Honda will be a bit more expensive simply because it's making such a big deal about having premiered the original and now in its 2d season of UCI use... the global press is much more tuned into the Honda, so that probably enables a higher asking price.

it will be interesting to see.

gonzostrike

Monkey
May 21, 2002
Montana
neversummersnow said:
Doubtfull, Asian companies run a bit differently than US companies.

Oil IS a resource, and the demand for it now is 10 times what it was 25 years ago. India and China both are growing faster than you'de care to believe.

2 Stroke dirtbikes are done with, 20 years from now trail riding a 4 stroke may also be a thing of the past. .

The snowfall/rising temps thing may or may not be true. The report was accurate, but the sample size (last 80 years) may not be long enough to report "true" findings.

Open your eyes, the world is changing
Honda always have been looking at least 25 years into the future.

name a Honda product that flopped.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
gonzostrike said:
Honda always have been looking at least 25 years into the future.

name a Honda product that flopped.
That Honda dude in Mike Tyson's Punch-Out was pretty weak.

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
gonzostrike said:
well, "very expensive" is pretty subjective.

as to raw numbers and costs to produce being indicated by the Mfr's asking price, look at the Knolly V-Tach, coming to market soon (if not right now, you'd have to ask Noel). The runs are not even close to 250 frames. The price isn't anywhere close to $10k USD.

Honda has much greater manufacturing power, not to mention gigantic economic scale advantages over Knolly Bikes.

it will be interesting to see how the prices compare. I'd guess the Honda will be a bit more expensive simply because it's making such a big deal about having premiered the original and now in its 2d season of UCI use... the global press is much more tuned into the Honda, so that probably enables a higher asking price.

it will be interesting to see.
I don't know if anyone said the Honda would cost 10k. Nobody would buy it if it were that much...

Not sure what Knolly has to do with this, but the low production run of the V-Tach is evident in the extremely high price. 3k+ for a frame is alot of money.

I personally don't find the Honda bike that fascinating. Internally geared hubs like the Rohloff and Nexus, and the G-BOXX concept that can be used on many different frames are much more appealing to me.

soulfly

Chimp
Feb 27, 2004
Hungary
actually, honda could sell those bikes/frames for 10 usd for the first 250 (or any other number) to ppl who are the winners of a draw.
and you know why it is so: because honda (the factory) can live without the extra profit coming out from those bikes.
someone has already mentioned that honda or someone, like kinesis has the tools for this frame, and will produce as many frames as possible with those tools - without making it a mass-product to get the possibility, sell it in the 4000 usd range. who gonna buy a mass-frame for 4000 usd? :cool:
so every dollar they make by selling it, would lower the cost of the development. and if they could make more money than the development and marketing costs, without destroying the image "unique bike" they will do so.
i can be wrong, but imho that's the point getting this frame for production.

WhiteRavenKS

Turbo Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
neither here nor there
DVNT said:
Are you serious?

That's the mother of all right wing conspiracy theories :blah:

Maybe it's as simple as some VP's kid get's a chubby over riding DH.
what kind of right wing are you talking about? isn the right's position that global warming is fake and god will never let us run out of oil? :p just jayin.

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
Worst ****ing thread ever. 3 pages of **** talking and not a single person has managed to say anything that they can back up; BS speculation at its very finest. Shuddup and admire the shineyness.

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
lovebunny said:
i like boobs. happy fyinfatman? i can back that up. i love boobs. cant get enough of them.
hahaha don't we all :D

But seriously... 100 odd posts, 50 or so completely speculative theories on what Honda is planning to do with the bike, another 50 BS conspiracy theories, and somewhere in there a whole shïtload of pseudoeconomists who are coming up with inane dribble about whether Honda can manufacture a freakin pushbike at a reasonable cost.

Please people, shut the hell up until you're actually SURE of what you're saying, because this has been the most uninformative, overwanked, unreliable, speculative thread I've ever read.

Shmoe

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Calgary, Canada eh?
There sure is alot of hype for somthing that not one of us has ridden.

Realistically its just a tuned dh bike with some new parts we havnt used yet and an integrated drivetrain. You guys are looking at a picture of it and claiming its going to be the greatest bike ever. Only a handful of riders have had experience on it and you have to take their opinion with a grain of salt anyway.

It could be an amazing bike, but we arnt going to know until it comes out. Honda isnt a perfect company, thats impossible they have made errors in the past and you just never know.

Tarpon

Monkey
Jun 23, 2004
North Bend, WA
A few reasons why Honda might be building the bike:

1. They can't beat Valentino Rossi so they need to look elsewhere for a 1st
place finish ;)

2. Honda likes to see the Honda name on things

3. They can

bagtagley

Monkey
Jun 18, 2002
VA
Tarpon said:
A few reasons why Honda might be building the bike:

1. They can't beat Valentino Rossi so they need to look elsewhere for a 1st
place finish.
Hayden beat him at Laguna Seca.

He needs to savor the flavor, cause it ain't happenin' again.

Tarpon

Monkey
Jun 23, 2004
North Bend, WA
bagtagley said:
Hayden beat him at Laguna Seca.

He needs to savor the flavor, cause it ain't happenin' again.
I was referring to the chamionship, where Hayden is not a player:

1. Rossi 236pts
2. Melandri 116pts
3. Gibernau 115pts
4. Edwards 114pts
5. Biaggi 113pts
6. Barros 101pts
7. Hayden 101pts

Besides, Gibernau is the guy Rossi has vowed not to let win another race. :)

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
bizutch said:
You guys are the biggest bunch of e-specs ever. Everybody keeps talking about Honda's manufacturing capabilities...you're missing something. They aren't manufacturing it. They're ordering it all.
Frames - ordered from Kinesis or whatever Asian mass builder gets the contract
Suspension - ordered from Showa, Kawa, Kayaba, Kablahblah...
Components - ordered from Easton, Shimano, Bibbinoni....

What particular piece of this bike do you think is so technologicly advanced and beyond the manufacturing capacity of current vendors....is Honda gonna waste their time to set up in house? NONE OF IT. It is all just pieces they design....then order.

There is one thing about this bike that is OEM and that is the movement and placement of the tranny...and they probably won't even set up any assembly line to put that together...it will get outsourced too. Hell, I'd about be willing to bet that before that thing gets packed in a box, it might not even pass through a single facility that has the Honda logo so much as on the building.

Honda just organizes all the madness of the pieces better than everybody else in the most cost effective, efficient, quality manner...

OH...and they put the little "wingie" sticker logo on it...that's worth like $5.00 minimum.
yeah, well, you have a point, but the one thing worth mentioning is that the cage for the gearbox is a plastic mold, and it's two piece and asymetrical...that means there are two parts and two molds...that's expensive as ****, and no one in the DH industry could afford it.....also....are you sure that the frame is made by kinesis, or are you especulating??