Quantcast

HONDA... A picture says a thousand words

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Hydraulicman said:
Not to mention all the :monkey:'s who ride DHR's.
It's also a single pivot, I got one and I love it :love:

Kev, if we're hopefully gonna ride in september at Namur, let's do a bike trade for a run and compare
And how are we gonna compare our suspension designs on a track that has no rocks or bumps at all?
I think we need a track like BWB for that. How about next week? :D

Hydraulicman

Monkey
Sep 25, 2001
Belgium
Kevin said:
And how are we gonna compare our suspension designs on a track that has no rocks or bumps at all?
I think we need a track like BWB for that. How about next week? :D
Sorry m8, no more cashflow after the portes du soleil adventure, I'm already in debt with the misses.

And she wants to go check for furniture for the new house next week :help: .
I'm already broke and she's going to make me more broke

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Toshi said:
do consider that many of the drawbacks of single pivots are due to drivetrain interaction, and that the honda will not suffer from them...
Sure it will, a linkage system can have the same advantages on a single speed as it can on a multi speed bike. dw-link does.

dw

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
vallEbikes said:
why did they replace everything carbon fiber with plastic????????????!!!!!
most likely fiber reinforced. Lots of very strong/ stiff plastics out there. Could be an SMC or a injection part. cant tell without looking real close. Heck, it may be fiberglass with a gelcoat or a cast mag part. i have no clue without looking at it in person.

dw

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
Transcend said:
I find it funny how most riders & racers say they hate a single pivot, they don't work well etc...meanwhile some of the fastest guys ont he WC are on them.

Makes ya wonder...marketing departments sure are at work hard trying to convince us that single pivots don't work.

Gracia, Peat, Minnaar, Leikhonen, vasquez, pascal, all 3 athertons.

edit: i speal gud
but at the same time there are extremely fast riders not on single pivots, hill, kovarik, rennie, etc. i honestly believe for those guys it really does not matter what they ride. i've riden GT LTSs, Lobos (scary), DHi, 222, and now a sunday and i have to say it all comes down to personal preference. single pivots DO WORK if they r set up well and designed correctly, the orange was awesome, but at the same time the sunday is an unbelievable bike and i love it to death. but ya i would have to agree marketing departments are hard at work. i say just get out and ride the damn bike...Peat could ride a Sunday just as fast as a 222,223,224, whatever he's on now...hell he could ride a toaster down faster than us on a DH bike.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
LukeD said:
Peat could ride a Sunday just as fast as a 222,223,224, whatever he's on now...hell he could ride a toaster down faster than us on a DH bike.
Look......4 bar bikes were the big rage back in the day. Some will still argue that they are far superior to single pivots and such but think about it, you put a floating brake on a single pivot and now you just took out what mainly makes single pivots suck. Both bikes are fine. There's nothing wrong with either design. Everyone knows it's the rider, not the bike that goes faster.

I could really care less what injection molding or casting things are made out of or where its made. There's nothing wrong with framesets made overseas. I'd like to see how many parts on your bike or even in your home are 100% made in the U.S.A. Not a whole lot. With overseas manufacturing being so high ofcourse they are going to have the better CNC machines, better programs, better tools for this stuff. When it comes down to the bottom line it doesn't matter where it's made and how it's made as long as it works.

There's so many single pivots out there that it must work or else they wouldn't make them. Santa Cruz's bikes were all single pivot until they got into this VPP stuff which in some ways is still sort of a single pivot. Turner's DH frame, Orange, Cannondale, Foes etc....all have Single Pivots as their high end DH frame. I don't see their sales hurting from design.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
LukeD said:
but at the same time there are extremely fast riders not on single pivots, hill, kovarik, rennie, etc. i honestly believe for those guys it really does not matter what they ride. i've riden GT LTSs, Lobos (scary), DHi, 222, and now a sunday and i have to say it all comes down to personal preference. single pivots DO WORK if they r set up well and designed correctly, the orange was awesome, but at the same time the sunday is an unbelievable bike and i love it to death. but ya i would have to agree marketing departments are hard at work. i say just get out and ride the damn bike...Peat could ride a Sunday just as fast as a 222,223,224, whatever he's on now...hell he could ride a toaster down faster than us on a DH bike.
That's the entire point I was making, they work just fine. Fine enough for guys to be winning world cups on them, and winning againts guys ont he supposedly superior VPPs, 4 bars etc

sayndesyn

Turbo Monkey
I think you would have to get the top riders to do test rides on different bikes with their sponsorship contracts on hold to know what bike design is fastest. Naturally they all want a paycheck and will stand by their company so we can't really take anything they say seriously. Maybe Peaty would be beating the competition even worse if he was on a Sunday, then again maybe not. Since that will never happen, it all comes down to each person and what floats their boat.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
sayndesyn said:
I think you would have to get the top riders to do test rides on different bikes with their sponsorship contracts on hold to know what bike design is fastest. Naturally they all want a paycheck and will stand by their company so we can't really take anything they say seriously. Maybe Peaty would be beating the competition even worse if he was on a Sunday, then again maybe not. Since that will never happen, it all comes down to each person and what floats their boat.

I don't think you could ever say this is the fastest design. It's depends on the terrain, the riders style, weight....to many factors.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
sayndesyn said:
True, but if you got each rider to get used to a design and nail the same course over and over I think you might start to see patterns...
How about I try out some bikes, get the one that I like best and dont give a **** what Peat or Hill think :thumb:

Completely off topic........
Yow Sandesyn whats up?
I just got a call today that my fork is ready so Im picking it up tomorrow. Dont know if Ill be able to make it to anymore German races this year since the damn germans cancelled Winterberg. Im still bummed that I had to miss Tabarz and BWBs tomorrow. Id still have to get my bike ready and drive for 5/6 hours so I wouldnt even be in time to qualify probably.
Good luck if your still going!

julian_dh

Monkey
Jan 10, 2005
rockwool said:
single pivots = less maintainance = less cost = more biking :thumb:
a single pivot is not cheap if its an orange i wonder whats easier, machining a linkage or hydroforming and doing insane tubing work to make a frame nice :think:

Thrillkil

Monkey
May 25, 2005
Isla Vista, CA
If they put the carbon parts back on it and sell it as the "HONDA RN-01 TYPE-R", I'll pick it up in a second. Complete the build with a set of Airlines with a "NOS" sticker on the tank.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Thrillkil said:
If they put the carbon parts back on it and sell it as the "HONDA RN-01 TYPE-R", I'll pick it up in a second. Complete the build with a set of Airlines with a "NOS" sticker on the tank.
I've heard that when the Honda tema put a "APC" sticker on thier team bikes that it was as effective as drilling hole sin the cranks. They tested Neuspeed stickers but they didn't work nearly as well.

Thrillkil

Monkey
May 25, 2005
Isla Vista, CA
pZyteX said:
have you ever used a set of airlines?
I have and thought they rocked!

I heard they are really good, but if I were to put them on a RN01, it would be for a comedic "LOL NAWWWWZZZZZZ 2FAST2FURIOUS" effect.

I was being sarcastic - I wouldn't actually do this.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Transcend said:
That's the entire point I was making, they work just fine. Fine enough for guys to be winning world cups on them, and winning againts guys ont he supposedly superior VPPs, 4 bars etc
But that doesn't mean that single pivot is the best solution for every rider. I perfer my Sunday to my Orange 222 for my skill level and for where I ride.

julian_dh

Monkey
Jan 10, 2005
whats the difference in ride between the sunday and 222 they look interesting but are very rare north of the border i have yet to see one in person

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
julian_dh said:
whats the difference in ride between the sunday and 222 they look interesting but are very rare north of the border i have yet to see one in person
I am sure that somone will chime in with a better reposnse but b/c the Sunday is a link bike it has a more progresive sprong rate. The people I know riding them have crazy light springs on them. Single pivot bikes tend to have a more linear spring rate.

Slacker

Monkey
Jul 24, 2002
Los Angeles
I don't care what any of you e-spec'g, e-riding, e-spewing, e-dolts have to say.....

I just need to know where the closest Honda dealer is. I'm willing to pay up to $14,499 :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

:evil:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Repack said:
I am sure that somone will chime in with a better reposnse but b/c the Sunday is a link bike it has a more progresive sprong rate. The people I know riding them have crazy light springs on them. Single pivot bikes tend to have a more linear spring rate.
That is generally true, but can be easily resolved with shocks. As for crazy light springs...my entire team run 300lb springs on a dhx 5. :)

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
Transcend said:
That is generally true, but can be easily resolved with shocks. As for crazy light springs...my entire team run 300lb springs on a dhx 5. :)
well you still arent tweeking the spring rate....and you're all bottoming out your linear suspensions 3 times a run :dancing: :D

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
rockwool said:
single pivots = less maintainance = less cost = more biking :thumb:
Maybe this was true in, say, 1999...these days, does anyone really think there's more maintenace associated with linkage bikes? I mean, check your bolts often...takes 2 min. longer than it might with a single-pivot, and during your biennial bearing change, you've got 4-8 bearings to change out instead of 2. Might take you 2-3 hours instead of 1. Every 2 years.

Is there really a practical difference these days? It's not like guys have to break down their frames to lube the bushings after every muddy ride or anything...

Single-pivots are, IMHO, fine designs in many cases, but I don't think the maintenance concerns are really there anymore.

Back to Honda...wow...

MD