Quantcast

Hi Pivot Trail Bikes?

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Don't laugh but start jogging. Helped me heaps.
I know what you're saying, but even when I was running 3x a week my feet stayed flat. I destroyed my arches early (like grade school) and they just don't want to lift. I'd love to fix them - makes fitting ski boots a problem too.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I know what you're saying, but even when I was running 3x a week my feet stayed flat. I destroyed my arches early (like grade school) and they just don't want to lift. I'd love to fix them - makes fitting ski boots a problem too.
Ah yeah fair enough. I used to get sore feet quite a bit but after I started jogging to burn off post-injury beer gut I noticed it significantly improved the issue for me. Crappy problem to have mate.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!

Interesting difference there. I have no interest in climbing quickly, but definitely don't want climbing any harder than it has to be.
:twitch:

I'd take my way too FS bike for less fatigued chunky ascents over HT anytime.

I mean, when you're climbing smooth pavement, maybe the 2% make a difference. But I bet tires/pressure/poorly lubed chain/beers previous night have bigger impact.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I'm flat footed and can get bad pain in the balls of my feet from overuse. I had to stop running a few years ago, and I can't backpack anymore. For me the issue is likely neuromas (going to see a doc about them next week actually). I use these in all of my shoes and they help immensely - https://www.amazon.com/Balance-3030-Pressure-Relief-Insole/dp/B0728HBCXW. For cycling I've had to seek out the shoes with the widest toe box: Adidas changing the profile of 510s fucked me.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
:twitch:

I'd take my way too FS bike for less fatigued chunky ascents over HT anytime.

I mean, when you're climbing smooth pavement, maybe the 2% make a difference. But I bet tires/pressure/poorly lubed chain/beers previous night have bigger impact.
Yeah but they're not comparing a FS bike to a HT. They're comparing two monster travel FS bikes which would both descend bloody well. Who wants to make climbing harder than it needs to be? Do HP bikes make that much of a difference descending really?

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Another thing to bear in mind is that the difference between a dirty HP idler drivetrain and dirty non idler system is not going to result an equivalent drop in efficiency between the two. For example, let's say you have a 98% efficient gear pair that experiences a 2% drop due to being dirty, hence it is 96% efficient.

In comparison adding a 3rd gear to the above - .98*.98 = .9604 = 96% efficient clean. However, if dirty - .96*.96 = .9216 = 92% efficient.

HP make much more sense for DH application in my mind.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Yeah but they're not comparing a FS bike to a HT. They're comparing two monster travel FS bikes which would both descend bloody well. Who wants to make climbing harder than it needs to be? Do HP bikes make that much of a difference descending really?
I haven’t ridden enough high pivot bikes to say anything conclusively, but in the case of my Shore yes.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Yeah but they're not comparing a FS bike to a HT. They're comparing two monster travel FS bikes which would both descend bloody well. Who wants to make climbing harder than it needs to be?
If you put a HT on the trainer, you'd get maybe 20-30% higher efficiency compared to both FS bikes? Still, I would not pick one for chunk. The comparison is meaningless.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
If you put a HT on the trainer, you'd get maybe 20-30% higher efficiency compared to both FS bikes? Still, I would not pick one for chunk. The comparison is meaningless.

I find these number to be questionable.

The time difference between my hardtail and enderpo bike on a 5 mile climb I ride regularly are negligible.

Perhaps if you are talking about standing sprint on a concentric pivot bike with an elastomer shock from 1990.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Do you have planar fasciitis? One of our local pros did and just got the surgery. He was getting so bad he couldn't stand and had to get a job sitting and making wheels at the bike shop.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Norco.

If you look at the difference in where the main pivot is on those bikes it makes sense though. I can't find a magnified axle path for the Range, but here they are for the Druid, Dreadnought and the Kavenz VHP16 (which is more of a mid-high pivot). The Forbidden's both have significantly more chainstay growth, and have really long chainstays to begin with.

I love living in a fantasy universe where rebound axle path does not exist :rofl:

This is how you break wheels, people.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
A rearward axle path is also going to absorb forward momentum making a bike less efficient. An idler pulley will also make a bike less efficient. Why would you want a less efficient trail bike? That us the whole point to them. If you don't care if your bike is harder to pedal around why wouldn't you go with longer travel?
How many people have complained of bikes being slower in a straight line as head angles have slackened off, same thing isn't it?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
How many people have complained of bikes being slower in a straight line as head angles have slackened off, same thing isn't it?
Probably because if you ride somewhere that needs a slack head angle the parts where you care about efficiency is uphill where there is little weight on the front end and it has little effect on efficiency. Perhaps the Free Riders Of Nebraska disagree.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Going out on a limb here but maybe bike companies should work on getting costs down. WTF are people paying $7K for a mid-level and $10K for a high-end bike these days? So their engineers can get paid $50K a year? Hell In N Out starts close to that.....

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Going out on a limb here but maybe bike companies should work on getting costs down. WTF are people paying $7K for a mid-level and $10K for a high-end bike these days? So their engineers can get paid $50K a year? Hell In N Out starts close to that.....

Well this was well received

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Maybe I'm misunderstanding it then, because the answer that comes to my mind to the question: How many people have complained of bikes being slower in a straight line as head angles have slackened off, same thing isn't it?

is

"everyone all the time, forever has wanted better efficiency, uphill or downhill, and what does a slacker headangle have to do with it?"

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Do you have planar fasciitis? One of our local pros did and just got the surgery. He was getting so bad he couldn't stand and had to get a job sitting and making wheels at the bike shop.
Naw, it's just very low arches & weak muscles associated with the arches. I can run fine (forefoot strike) and hike for hours, it's just activities with quick repeated impacts or vibration that cause midfoot soreness (MTB & skiing). I'll probably try some fancy insoles as previously suggested.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Maybe I'm misunderstanding it then, because the answer that comes to my mind to the question: How many people have complained of bikes being slower in a straight line as head angles have slackened off, same thing isn't it?

is

"everyone all the time, forever has wanted better efficiency, uphill or downhill, and what does a slacker headangle have to do with it?"
Also going from say a 68 degree head angle to 64 degrees with a 160mm fork, rearward travel increases by 4.5mm. but since a fork is linear only a small portion of that happens in the smaller travel range you would care about efficiency where as a high pivot has a lot more of the rearward travel in the initial bits of travel where you would care about it.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Also going from say a 68 degree head angle to 64 degrees with a 160mm fork, rearward travel increases by 4.5mm. but since a fork is linear only a small portion of that happens in the smaller travel range you would care about efficiency where as a high pivot has a lot more of the rearward travel in the initial bits of travel where you would care about it.
......Plus the vast majority of your weight is over the rear wheel when really smashing into things

And I don't know about you guys but the damping settings between the front and rear of my bikes are setup vastly different from one another because of this.

They're not really comparable

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
......Plus the vast majority of your weight is over the rear wheel when really smashing into things

And I don't know about you guys but the damping settings between the front and rear of my bikes are setup vastly different from one another because of this.

They're not really comparable
From a suspension perspective my modern long slack long travel bike pedals better than my 15 year old short steep XC bike. It would probably be overall more efficient if it had the same weenie tires. That long wheel base does a lot to limit weight transfer and resulting suspension motion.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
From a suspension perspective my modern long slack long travel bike pedals better than my 15 year old short steep XC bike. It would probably be overall more efficient if it had the same weenie tires. That long wheel base does a lot to limit weight transfer and resulting suspension motion.
If you want to completely undo that, get a high pivot pivot bike to pedal around on :D

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
But have you tested that on a trainer with a power meter? :nerd:
Actually I have had both a road bike and my old XC bike on my Saris trainer. I can't say I noticed any difference in my ability to generate power. I also don't pedal like Fred Munster having a seizure.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Naw, it's just very low arches & weak muscles associated with the arches. I can run fine (forefoot strike) and hike for hours, it's just activities with quick repeated impacts or vibration that cause midfoot soreness (MTB & skiing). I'll probably try some fancy insoles as previously suggested.
Try ride concepts with their almost too squishy insoles.

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
I bet the 50k engineer makes more than most of the B level factory racers.
Something is wrong when a Racers salary doesn't pay enough for said racer to buy the BICYCLE he risks his life on for a living.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I bet the 50k engineer makes more than most of the B level factory racers.
Something is wrong when a Racers salary doesn't pay enough for said racer to buy the BICYCLE he risks his life on for a living.
Yeah, racers should get a chunk of those ticket sales and TV contracts.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Yeah, racers should get a chunk of those ticket sales and TV contracts.
I get your point, but I wonder how road racers are compensated, as it surely isn't based on "ticket sales and TV contracts" seeing as no one (in legit TV markets) watches road races except perhaps for the odd glace at a random TDF stage.

Perhaps its as simple as bike companies sell 70 million more road bikes than mountain bikes, so they feel more compelled to pay roadies more. Or maybe its also the other companies they endorse that they're getting a lot of coin from. Seems like something @jonKranked would have some thoughts on.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I get your point, but I wonder how road racers are compensated, as it surely isn't based on "ticket sales and TV contracts" seeing as no one (in legit TV markets) watches road races except perhaps for the odd glace at a random TDF stage.

Perhaps its as simple as bike companies sell 70 million more road bikes than mountain bikes, so they feel more compelled to pay roadies more. Or maybe its also the other companies they endorse that they're getting a lot of coin from. Seems like something @jonKranked would have some thoughts on.

Pretty sure the money in road racing comes from team sponsors, which is usually not even bike related. More like NASCAR. Which points to having a much larger viewership and marketing potential for customers. Looking at a list of TDF teams from recent years Trek and Cannondale are the only two bike companies that are major sponsors. Trek and Cannondale probably have more road frames fall off the back of trucks than they sell DH bikes. There are more Countries that sponsor road teams than there are bike companies that are primary team sponsors.

Last edited:

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
Pretty sure the money in road racing comes from team sponsors, which is usually not even bike related. More like NASCAR. Which points to having a much larger viewership and marketing potential for customers. Looking at a list of TDF teams from recent years Trek and Cannondale are the only two bike companies that are major sponsors. Trek and Cannondale probably have more road frames fall off the back of trucks than they sell DH bikes. There are more Countries that sponsor road teams than there are bike companies that are primary team sponsors.
Thanks, good info. I know that no one watches DH either, but I was thinking of Enduro and XC as well, as they make peanuts too I assume. I guess I'm shocked that anyone (even in Yurp) gives a fuck about road racing, as it seems like there's soccer and practically nothing else (in terms of getting legit TV ratings). Shows you what I know.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Thanks, good info. I know that no one watches DH either, but I was thinking of Enduro and XC as well, as they make peanuts too I assume. I guess I'm shocked that anyone (even in Yurp) gives a fuck about road racing, as it seems like there's soccer and practically nothing else (in terms of getting legit TV ratings). Shows you what I know.
If you want to know where mountain biking ranks in viewership just know that ESPN televises Cornhole and Spikeball tournaments.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
If you want to know where mountain biking ranks in viewership just know that ESPN televises Cornhole and Spikeball tournaments.
For sure, but I can't imagine the TDF fares much better these days. It just seems bizarre that corporations would throw money into road if no one is really watching. Again, maybe millions of people in Spain are taking entire weeks off to watch random Vueltas and pay attention to what's on a rider's jersey.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
For sure, but I can't imagine the TDF fares much better these days. It just seems bizarre that corporations would throw money into road if no one is really watching. Again, maybe millions of people in Spain are taking entire weeks off to watch random Vueltas and pay attention to what's on a rider's jersey.
Yeah it is a Euro sport. Look at all the major sponsors. As an American I have no fucking clue who those companies are.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Road and XC are huge in Europe and the tv time keeps the roadies getting all the money. Nino Shurter has a credit card sponsor on his forehead.... DH just isn’t there.