Quantcast

Hi Pivot Trail Bikes?

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
So looks like a number of brands may go this route with Trail/Enduro bikes. I spoke with Rob before he announced the Taniwha way back when and when I asked why no high pivot he said efficiency loss. I said this might be a bad move along with the pricing. Turns out I may have been right just thinking the cost is most prohibitive for people and Zerode.

This is a HOPE bike what do you guys think.....
p5pb21079927.jpg

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I'm down. The mid-high horst setup on my Shore is fantastic. It smooths out the chunk better than any other design I've had time on, it's one of the most active under braking I've come across, and it hasn't been a major liability in corners. Getting the front end up was more difficult at first, but like most things I've adapted to it. I'd like to try that design on a dedicated mullet frame to see if increased rollover from the high pivot makes up for the smaller rear wheel.

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
The Shore is a nice looking bike. Our local hill has a fleet of them for rentals, the rainbow coloured ones. I definitely want to try one out...

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
So looks like a number of brands may go this route with Trail/Enduro bikes. I spoke with Rob before he announced the Taniwha way back when and when I asked why no high pivot he said efficiency loss. I said this might be a bad move along with the pricing. Turns out I may have been right just thinking the cost is most prohibitive for people and Zerode.

This is a HOPE bike what do you guys think.....View attachment 163149
I Hope it works better than their breaks.
Lol
Looks cool.
I can never look at a high pivot bike without thinking it needs a lower roller guide

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I can never look at a high pivot bike and think LOL you're too young to remember that this has all been done before and abandoned for a reason.

Fine for a coaster/dh bike. Dumb as fuck on a trail bike.

But hey, pit vipers and fanny packs. The douchestache and tight pants are a mainstay, just waiting for lightweight elastomer suspension to be used as a performance advantage because "akkshuallly......".

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I can never look at a high pivot bike and think LOL you're too young to remember that this has all been done before and abandoned for a reason.
Because we didn't have 29ers with a large BB drop measurement?

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
But hey, pit vipers and fanny packs. The douchestache and tight pants are a mainstay, just waiting for lightweight elastomer suspension to be used as a performance advantage because "akkshuallly......".
Coming soon to a gravel bike near you...

Last edited:

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California

Have you tried one of the mid-highs? IE, with a main pivot that's not up by the toptube?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

1628397679449.png

1628397731497.png

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
you want to place a 1k bet on where trailbike ebike designs in 10 years settle? Im a petty bitch so Ill follow through. It definitely will not be this shit.
Efficiency won't matter.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Some people explained that mid-high pivot on 29er creates a similar wheelpath as to 26" back in the days that is slightly rearward at first and then mostly vertical.
If so, it might bring back some good memories to @kidwoo :brows:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Some people explained that mid-high pivot on 29er creates a similar wheelpath as to 26" back in the days that is slightly rearward at first and then mostly vertical.
If so, it might bring back some good memories to @kidwoo :brows:
Mmh, now I see even less need to upgrade to waggon wheelz.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I'm tempted by some of these high pivot designs, like the druid...but I'm pretty content with a well designed frame with good kinematics. Crisp pedaling response that doesn't do anything wrong is a pretty nice bike. There are enough places to make up improvements in weight and stiffness. A lot of the really generic frames are absolutely nailing pivot placement and stumbling into decent shock rate. A fucking Marin that might ride OK right out of the box? Is that why the micro companies keep getting really stupid with their designs...everything else works?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
What really needs to happen is for Cascade to make an aftermarket HP kit that bolts on to the seat tube. I'd put one on my hardtail provided it has oil slick hardware to match my Pit Vipers.
Or like a sliding pivot on a seat tube rail

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
What really needs to happen is for Cascade to make an aftermarket HP kit that bolts on to the seat tube. I'd put one on my hardtail provided it has oil slick hardware to match my Pit Vipers.
They'd get sued by Trek for their new Virtual High Pivot.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
No issues or complaints so far with my Commencal Supreme DH bike, but I'm not trying to pedal that 30 miles.

On the trail bikes it sounds like the idlers don't last long enough for me to want one (basing that on reading Druid and Deviate stuff on emptybeer).

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
I was never a fan of Specialized or they're never ending cult of fanboys.
I was intrigued when pretty much every reviewer/ publication I read was gushing over the performance of the 2020 Enduro.
For once, Not the usual word games reviews play to keep all the manufacturers happy.
They all agreed the 2020 Enduro was on another level, by a wide margin.
I would be curious to see how the new crop of high pivots compare?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
No issues or complaints so far with my Commencal Supreme DH bike, but I'm not trying to pedal that 30 miles.

On the trail bikes it sounds like the idlers don't last long enough for me to want one (basing that on reading Druid and Deviate stuff on emptybeer).
the bigger problem here is that you're reading emptybeer