Quantcast

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
i thiught today would be a good day to quit sniffing glue...
Are you going to rewrite macroeconomics and tell us how a nation should be run like a family budget too? That's another good one from the land of glue sniffers and paint huffers.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Yes. If only one of those Marines had access and the ability to use a weapon.
The average military serviceman has almost zero access to weapons except when specifically armed for training or war, or for standing a particular duty which must be armed, like being an MP. Nor are the vast majority trained to use a pistol in any semblance of an effective manner, especially carrying outside of battlefield conditions.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
The average military serviceman has almost zero access to weapons except when specifically armed for training or war, or for standing a particular duty which must be armed, like being an MP. Nor are the vast majority trained to use a pistol in any semblance of an effective manner, especially carrying outside of battlefield conditions.
IDF limited access on purpose to save lives. Less guns means safer - gun suicides are a bigger problem than gun homicides in the US:

A similar thing happened when the Israeli Defense Forces stopped letting troops bring their guns home over the weekend in 2006. A study by researchers with the IDF's Division of Mental Health and Sheba Medical Center found the policy change reduced suicides among IDF soldiers by 40 percent, mostly due to a drop in suicides using firearms committed over weekends, with no noticeable change in weekday suicides.
http://www.vox.com/2015/6/3/8721267/gun-suicide-gun-control

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
This is true, only Officers trained with pistols in the Army.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
This is true, only Officers trained with pistols in the Army.
Related?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Also, when I was in the Army, a Sergeant two barracks-buildings away shot himself in the head in a suicide with a privately purchased pistol. They were private rooms like apartments so it wouldn't have been in front of anyone, but still, and then there's the flight instructor that had a desk next to mine that I flew with as a student that blew his head off with a shotgun. Thank god and jebus for guns.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
http://www.newyorker.com/news/john-cassidy/lax-gun-laws-are-becoming-a-national-security-issue

As usual, however, Trump has things backward. The issue isn’t gun-free zones; it is free-for-all gun zones, which decades of lax firearms laws have produced all over the country. In an America held hostage by the gun lobby, radicalized lone-wolf terrorists can get their hands on deadly weapons and mountains of ammunition just as easily as disturbed post-adolescents, delusional military subcontractors, virulent racists, and anybody else.

Trump ignores all of this, of course, and he couldn’t even get the details straight about those “gun-free zones.” He ignored the fact that the military police who enforce the laws on military installations are routinely armed, as are other soldiers engaged in security roles, such as guard duty. Moreover, the four marines were killed not at the recruitment center, where the sign prohibiting firearms was located, but at the Naval Reserve center. It was there, too, that Abdulazeez was reportedly shot dead by police, who had pursued him from the recruitment office. Sadly, neither the military guards nor the police managed to stop Abdulazeez before he had killed four people. But to claim that these victims would be alive if they had been armed is pure speculation.

tomasis7

stroganoff
Nov 5, 2014
Electronic bong-shed LEGAL
Geez.. when is U.S. going to come out of 18th century as it seems stuck still for good 200 years. Good old Western shooting "mexicans", indigenous people. Now ordinary people, Trump, laws of gun..

Better you legalize weed and forbid guns, then we have peace :D

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
^^Pretty much this from the comments:

“I figured if I showed a handgun that would be enough to diffuse any situation,”. Flawless. Cannot be improved upon. Shut it down. Shut this whole internet DOWN.

Cue the rocket surgeons like aktroz to now discuss how that's not a gun problem it's a tactical one.