Quantcast

DW's new suspension design. the split pivot.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Hmm loose call there. With a different wheel path it can't mach an FSR on all/most suspension characteristics/duties.
What I'm saying, in case it wasn't clear is that most FSR bikes are basically single pivots in terms of acceleration performance. CC change (axle path center of curvature) on most FSR bikes is basically nonexistent. That linkage software, although not uesful for performance comparison can show this quite easily. Dave Turner (Turner Bikes) and Chris Cocalis (formerly of Titus) both realized this years ago and their product lines reflected that.

Are the rear bearings under much more load?You'll loose the main bennefit(stiff reliable) of a single pivot if they get sloppy.In effect your keeping a single pivot but adding a bearing into the mix.
The bearings aren't under any more load than a typical FSR bike, and the Split-Pivot bikes use some pretty trick 17mm ID bearings that are custom sized to the load requirements. Stiffness is no different than from a faux bar bike.

How much travel will it be running? Good for a trailbike,bottlerockets seemed to be getting sucked up by the herd.
It can be used from XC bikes all the way to DH bikes. There is no travel limit, high or low.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Well BV, the pivot actually looks quite high. It's not your run of the mill high-forward pivot, but it's not that low either. I'd have to wonder about pedaling interaction when going through the rough stuff (DW did say that it acellerates well, so there is obviously an interaction between the suspension and the chain torque).
dw said:
With a little knowledge (i.e. pivot placement)
Emphasis added. I took that to mean this particular frame isn't the be-all, end-all design, and that different bikes for different purposes will be built with different pivot placements.

Point being, of course, that it should have an extremely similar axle path to an FSR whose BB pivot is in the same place.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
What constitutes a beer bike? Hopefully it has a rack as a must have for quick trips to the store for a sixer of coors light?
This is a beer bike:

Negative on the Coors light. :disgust1:

I think BV is correct about that frame being just one example of pivot location, you can see here that Trek's is slightly different, and I don't see why you couldn't run a high-forward pivot for longer travel versions/bigger hits. Between the split pivot and the floating shock mount I'm definitely curious to ride one of these Treks. Seems like an evolutionary improvement to a very popular design, and one that can easily reach the masses. Nice work Dave!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
As to why this hasn't been done before;

I think maxle and lack of hub standards has something to do with it.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Emphasis added. I took that to mean this particular frame isn't the be-all, end-all design, and that different bikes for different purposes will be built with different pivot placements.

Point being, of course, that it should have an extremely similar axle path to an FSR whose BB pivot is in the same place.
Well, I would agree with pretty much everyone that it's a good idea. Simple, but good. It's simply the stiffness benefits of a ventana-style rear end with the braking benefit of a horst link, so all in all pretty neat. That's mostly why I've said little in this thread, just not necessary, it's straightforward and easy to understand...well, for most people. Some people seem to have trouble understanding that it's a single pivot.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Well BV, the pivot actually looks quite high. It's not your run of the mill high-forward pivot, but it's not that low either. I'd have to wonder about pedaling interaction when going through the rough stuff (DW did say that it acellerates well, so there is obviously an interaction between the suspension and the chain torque).
It'll pedal well in the front gear that is inline with the pivot(probably largest),and have minor lockout(good for climbing)in the lower gears. So it'll be active in the DH(large/fast gear)and less active in the climbing gear.

Yes an FSR can have a similer axle path to this bike,but as it was written I just thought it was loose and taking advantage of a percantage of correctness. An FSR has a wider range of wheel path options.

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
So, with the Trek design, does the chainstay / main pivot / lower shock mount design mean that you can get more travel from any given length stroke shock with excessively high ratios? It would seem that the lower shock mount would drop as the chainstay revolved around the main pivot.

Whoops

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
New Zealand
so when the rear wheel is removed.... do the CS and SS separate, or do the axle-recepticles act as clevis pins? Be super cool if that could be arranged to be in double shear rather than single.

Nice solution though.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Yes an FSR can have a similer axle path to this bike,but as it was written I just thought it was loose and taking advantage of a percantage of correctness. An FSR has a wider range of wheel path options.
That was my whole point; it doesn't. An FSR design has an extremely similar axle path to a single pivot, and performs virtually identically with the exception of certain braking characteristics. I don't know what those Giant frames were like, since the pivot was located so far from the rear axle, but they practically locked out when you pedaled them, so there are other issues there.

Thus, his statement was accurate. This or that frame may not perform the same because the BB pivot may not be located in the same spot, but overall, there was nothing wrong with what he said. Map out the axle paths of your favorite FSR frames and they'll be the same as the axle path of a similar single pivot.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
So, with the Trek design, does the chainstay / main pivot / lower shock mount design mean that you can get more travel from any given length stroke shock with excessively high ratios? It would seem that the lower shock mount would drop as the chainstay revolved around the main pivot.

it just changes the actuation ratio curve, maybe as a side result you could bring the overall leverage ratio up but its not the itention behind the design i think.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
That was my whole point; it doesn't. An FSR design has an extremely similar axle path to a single pivot, and performs virtually identically with the exception of certain braking characteristics. I don't know what those Giant frames were like, since the pivot was located so far from the rear axle, but they practically locked out when you pedaled them, so there are other issues there.

Thus, his statement was accurate. This or that frame may not perform the same because the BB pivot may not be located in the same spot, but overall, there was nothing wrong with what he said. Map out the axle paths of your favorite FSR frames and they'll be the same as the axle path of a similar single pivot.
Due to it's high pivot you have a valid debate,I thought the FSRs had a higher VPP,and possibly more rearward. I just thought it was an inacurate and possibly misleading but not really dishonest statement.
I'm to lazy to map the axle paths and don't care enough,so I'll just say for arguments sake that I stand corrected.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
it just changes the actuation ratio curve, maybe as a side result you could bring the overall leverage ratio up but its not the itention behind the design i think.
I may be wrong but I think the leverage ratio would go down, not up with that floating shock mount. The lower shock mount is moving down as upper mount is compressed, effectively keeping the shock from geting compressed fully until later in the stroke. No?

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
I may be wrong but I think the leverage ratio would go down, not up with that floating shock mount. The lower shock mount is moving down as upper mount is compressed, effectively keeping the shock from geting compressed fully until later in the stroke. No?
yes but travel is still the same so that means the top shock mount is closer to the seat tube pivot than what it used to be, basically less leverage because of the lower shock mount, more leverage because of the top shock mount, netting the same travel.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
You still need to increase the length of the top arm to compress the shock that amount. I think that I built the first example of this type of layout (floating shock in front of the seat tube with a digressive lower link) on the IF Tungsten Electrode dw-link bike. I did it more for manufacturing purposes than anything, in my experience using this layout you can make a slightly less expensive bike and you can vary leverage rate, but nothing overly complex is possible as far as leverage rate goes. It does look cool.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
Dave, what do you call this design? Rear shock mounts to the lower swingarm.

its a horst link, shock is also floating but is not digressive as dw called the one on the tungsten, on this one, both shock mounts "meet"

i think its a very sound solution to the horst links biggest drawback (rear end flex) and a lot cleaner than specializeds version (the demos) as here they can concentrate more material on the swingarm that now bears the shock mount, which helps to stiffen the rear end better.

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
You still need to increase the length of the top arm to compress the shock that amount. I think that I built the first example of this type of layout (floating shock in front of the seat tube with a digressive lower link) on the IF Tungsten Electrode dw-link bike. I did it more for manufacturing purposes than anything, in my experience using this layout you can make a slightly less expensive bike and you can vary leverage rate, but nothing overly complex is possible as far as leverage rate goes. It does look cool.

Whoops!! What I meant to write was "more travel from any given length stroke shock without excessively high ratios?

Seems my query raised a few monkeys heads, and I am grateful for the response. Thanks.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
DW with the Independant bike pictured on the previous page how much load is taken off the top rockers main pivot bearings by having the shock mounted to the lower pivot rather than the frame? I can understand for a few reasons it may have not been ideal to use,but I was just curious if you'd looked at that at all.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
Whoops!! What I meant to write was "more travel from any given length stroke shock without excessively high ratios?

Seems my query raised a few monkeys heads, and I am grateful for the response. Thanks.

there arent any more variables to shock ratio than travel and shock stroke, so you are essentially answering "no" to your own question there.

more travel given the same shock = higher ratio

no matter how its actuated.

then again, some ways of actuating shocks are better when you have a highly leveraged application, sideloading is a factor, and also having a progressive leverage curve means you can use less spring rate or air pressure and thus get away with a higher leverage rate.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Dave, what do you call this design? Rear shock mounts to the lower swingarm.

Similar but pretty different. This works like an old Chumba, or like the very first Sunday frames where you have the shock compressing from both ends. The IF bike actually decompresses the shock at the bottom as the suspension compresses, and therefore uses a longer top link to achieve the desired overall leverage rate than if the shock was just mounted to the frame. This fusion bike uses a shorter top link to achieve the same overall leverage ratio as if the shock was mounted to the frame on one end, Make sense?

Dave

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
DW with the Independant bike pictured on the previous page how much load is taken off the top rockers main pivot bearings by having the shock mounted to the lower pivot rather than the frame? I can understand for a few reasons it may have not been ideal to use,but I was just curious if you'd looked at that at all.
I did look at this, there was really not much advantage or disadvantage here IMO, kind of a wash. The biggest advantage was just that we didn't have to fabricate or weld more ti.

rbx

Monkey
why not just put the disc tab on the seatstay of a kona style suspension,then you would get very good braking behavior IC far in front without the complexity of cocentric rear pivot.
Kind of the floating of late bb7's were the floater mounted on top of the rear axle.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Similar but pretty different. This works like an old Chumba, or like the very first Sunday frames where you have the shock compressing from both ends. The IF bike actually decompresses the shock at the bottom as the suspension compresses, and therefore uses a longer top link to achieve the desired overall leverage rate than if the shock was just mounted to the frame. This fusion bike uses a shorter top link to achieve the same overall leverage ratio as if the shock was mounted to the frame on one end, Make sense?

Dave
Yes it does.

Thanks

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
why not just put the disc tab on the seatstay of a kona style suspension,then you would get very good braking behavior IC far in front without the complexity of cocentric rear pivot.
Kind of the floating of late bb7's were the floater mounted on top of the rear axle.
Because if the pivot is not concentric, as the suspension moves the brake caliper will move away from the rotor. Then you'd have only partial contact at best, and no braking power and you'd screw up the pads and possibly damage them or the rotors.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
I'd hope it doesn't have all the braking characteristics of an FSR bike. Like the way most FSR bike's lift up in the ass under braking.

That is a great observation. This all has to do with instant center placement. The more forward the IC, the more the bike's/rider's center of mass will pitch forward during rear braking. The more rearward the IC, the less the bike's/rider's center of mass will pitch forward. I personally design for less pitch than more in the bikes that I work on. This is something that is rider preference entirely, but I find that more riders prefer less forward pitch than more, especially as you get into the higher levls of downhill racing.

I was actually just attempting to explain this to someone on MTBR this AM.

Dave

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
so what would a cowan ds with a split pivot ride like?
Just like a regular cowan DS but with improved braking characteristics. You also could change main pivot location to anywhere your heart desired to achieve whatever acceleration response you want without screing up braking.

Dave

_*sTiTcHeS*_

Monkey
Apr 24, 2006
so how does moving the pivot change the pedalling? is it because of chain torque? i have a single pivot and an fsr and the single pivot likes to get stiff when i pedal and the other one does not... only difference that i can feel.