Quantcast

DW's new suspension design. the split pivot.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
So correct me if I am wrong, the frame looks as it has Sealed Baring Set into the drop outs so the Axle will spin free….
Didn't you see the g-boxx pictures, the axle has to spin free or the g-boxx wouldn't engage unless the suspension was fully compressed. I don't know about you but I don't usually pedal my way out of hard landings and g-outs.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
So correct me if I am wrong, the frame looks as it has Sealed Baring Set into the drop outs so the Axle will spin free….
If you look at the dropout cutaway view you can see more clearly. The axle is supported by the droput on the chainstay, its a standard thru axle arrangement with a built in QR for tensioning. THe seastays pivot on the chainstays, not on the axle. The axle can't rotate in relation the that chainstays. I also played with QR versions, but the TA was lighter to implement and offered a little better rigidity.

Dave

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
wait im confused by all these words. do i have to bring my sunday to the scrap yard? technology changing i must have the best.

Yes, the sunday is obsolete now and you are no longer the most hip kid on the block if you ride one. Luckily for you, I will come and take it off your hands for no extra charge! :pirate2:

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
If you look at the dropout cutaway view you can see more clearly. The axle is supported by the droput on the chainstay, its a standard thru axle arrangement with a built in QR for tensioning. THe seastays pivot on the chainstays, not on the axle. The axle can't rotate in relation the that chainstays. I also played with QR versions, but the TA was lighter to implement and offered a little better rigidity.

Dave
Thanks for clearing that up. Good luck with it man!!!:cheers:

sriracha

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
No matter what, Split Pivot can be used to build a pretty light bike with good performace characteristics.

i like the concept and design, for sure, but i have a question:

how can a design like the split pivot be as light and inexpensive as a single pivot design?

it has the same amount of pivots & bearings and a similar structure compared to a dw*link.:confused:

Spokompton

Monkey
May 15, 2005
Spokane WA
You are a wise man on many counts...
Gee thanks!

Now, about that infringement...

Just kidding!

When I tried to design the same thing, I found it hard to create the dropout area in a simple manner. I would assume this is where the majority or your work went and where the patent claims point to.

I better patent my "other" suspension technology before you beat me to it again! :imstupid:

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
i like the concept, for sure, but i have a question:

how can a design like the split pivot be as light and inexpensive as a single pivot design?

it has the same amount of pivots & bearings and a similar structure compared to a dw*link.:confused:
"Linkage actuated single pivot" is what I'm guessing he meant.

Spokompton

Monkey
May 15, 2005
Spokane WA
i like the concept and design, for sure, but i have a question:

I think it has to do with the tubing. Just about every standard 4 bar uses the same basic structure, even on cheapo $300 Costco bikes. DW just had to come up with a cool way to create a pivoted dropout and slap'er in there.

I think it may be stronger/lighter than a standard single pivot like the Yakuza DH. It uses a more obtuse rear triangulation which is inherently stiffer at a given weight in most directions than a acute traingle. One reason why Turner DHR has a more expanded rear end than say, a Bullit. DHR is a stiff mofo, so I can see how it works.

sriracha

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
"Linkage actuated single pivot" is what I'm guessing he meant.

allow me to rephrase:

how can a "linkage actuated split pivot" design, as shown, be lighter and less expensive than a comparable dw*link design?

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
allow me to rephrase:

how can a "linkage actuated split pivot" design, as shown, be lighter and less expensive than a comparable dw*link design?
because there is one less pivot area, hence less metal bolts, washers, welds, bearings, seals and mounts...and it wouldn't necessarily be used on a DW Link bike...it would be for simple, single pivot designs and basic linkage bikes.

sriracha

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
because there is one less pivot area, hence less metal bolts, washers, welds, bearings, seals and mounts...

not really tho. take the rearward pivot, on the lower link of a dw-link, and move it all the way back to the axle in a concentric manor...and you have a split pivot design.

i suppose you eliminate the lower link...the lower link becomes the chainstays/yoke.

i'm just wondering.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
allow me to rephrase:

Manufacturing tolerances. A dw-link needs to be held to tight tolerances to perform as designed. This usually menas CNC machining the entire weldment after heat treat, or pretty careful fixturing and alignment. 1mm is a huge number in dw-link world. A Split Pivot could be welded by a monkey and still probably work out allright. 1mm is practically inconsequential with Split-Pivot.

I don't think that Split Pivot could be lighter than dw-link in an ideal world. dw-link is structurally pretty hard to beat.

Spokompton

Monkey
May 15, 2005
Spokane WA
allow me to rephrase:

Materials are sometimes cheaper than labor. A less labor intensive design is usually cheaper even with more expensive parts. Bearings are cheap anyway.

There are also tooling costs that have to be accounted for. Since the straight tubes are widely available, you don't have to create special processes for bent tubing, as well as train workers to make them for a small percentage of the production cycle.

The best feats of engineering are when you can create something brand new using pre-existing tools, labor, and materials. Just think about the Appolo 13 return mission. Easily the most impressive feat of engineering in human history, (besides the DW link :) ) because they had to create complex stuff out of just about nothing, including the CO2 scrubers.

man all this talk is making me want to get back into designing bikes! It's funny, cause my initials are W.D.

Dave, do you mind if I create the WD link? :)

Spokompton

Monkey
May 15, 2005
Spokane WA
You should make 40oz bottles of beer.

Then I could be cole chillin with my homies drinkin WD 40s.
Dude, that's genius!

Although regular WD 40 get's you more messed up!:monkeydance: :imstupid:

Funny you would mention that though, as I had an urge several years ago to start my own brewing company, but with quality beer. Likely not something I would put in 40 once bottles.

I think I'll stick with making video games for now.

ss805

Chimp
Apr 29, 2007
Lompton
...did somebody say beer?

I know I'm a total newbie to the forum, but I would think that just as with any company, corporation etc. that come up with the newest, coolest, "must-have" item they must continue to re-market it as "new and improved".

It seems clear to me that the Sunday and the dw link are all the rage now. But only until something "cooler" comes out. This system is an attempt to continue on as the trendy, must-have bike. Marketing man...marketing.

But what do I know.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
congrats dw, to me the drawing was another weagle fueled "d'oh why didnt anyone else think of that" just because of how efficiently the whole brake interaction was solved and at the same time the structure made more efficient. just like the sunday front bottom pivot only betterer.
great stuff.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Actually, you're dead wrong. This will be used, as stated, as a compliment to DW-Link. It's basically just a SP w/ a built-in floater. Not "the new and improved" hot item to replace DW-Link.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Touché, salesman.

The whole point of Split Link is to act like and be economical like a single pivot, with the braking characteristics and stiffness of an FSR bike.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
So bottom line with this system, it is a single pivot for acceleration purposes, a multi pivot for braking purposes. In reallity, performance wise it can exactly duplicate what most FSR bikes have done. With a little knowledge (i.e. pivot placement) I think that it can outshine many of the FSR bikes that have been built.
Dave
Hmm loose call there. With a different wheel path it can't mach an FSR on all/most suspension characteristics/duties.

Are the rear bearings under much more load?You'll loose the main bennefit(stiff reliable) of a single pivot if they get sloppy.In effect your keeping a single pivot but adding a bearing into the mix.
*Edit* I just had a reread and better look at the pics,the bearings are only on the seat stay so no real difference in wear accept from different seat stay length(negligable).

How much travel will it be running? Good for a trailbike,bottlerockets seemed to be getting sucked up by the herd.

Reminds me of a Nicollai,pick a flawed design and try to make it better.
Nice idea but you can't pollish a turd.

Spokompton

Monkey
May 15, 2005
Spokane WA
Hmm loose call there. With a different wheel path it can't mach an FSR on all/most suspension characteristics/duties.

Are the rear bearings under much more load?You'll loose the main bennefit(stiff reliable) of a single pivot if they get sloppy.In effect your keeping a single pivot but adding a bearing into the mix.

How much travel will it be running? Good for a trailbike,bottlerockets seemed to be getting sucked up by the herd.

Reminds me of a Nicollai,pick a flawed design and try to make it better.
Nice idea but you can't pollish a turd.

True, but on the other hand it will bring some more business to the lower end models of the Iron Horse bikes, which don't receive the credit they deserve.

Iron Horse selling more bikes = more money to spend on making the top of the line models better

As long as they take money away from Specialized and Ellsworth, I'm all for it, even if it is just a great marketing scheme. Plus it puts more money into the pockets of good fellows like DW. How many other designers do you get talk to in the forums, besides Dave Turner?

On the other hand there's still a place for quality affordable bikes that don't need any gizmos to sell like crazy. I'm really considering the Bottle Rocket, just because it's what I've been looking for the last 7 years. Simple, perfect geo, rides like a hardtail, soaks it up like a DS.

If IH could come out with something similar with a DW link, I would have no doubt they would sell like pot brownies at a Phish concert.:lighten:

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
For a smooth track style bike that's not really used for rough trails I'm sure it'll be okay,or even as an all MTN,but for Dh where suspensions main objective is to smooth out the trail,I don't think much of it.Especially having a brother of such a higher caliber.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
What makes you think an FSR has a different wheel path than most low, rearward single pivots?
Well BV, the pivot actually looks quite high. It's not your run of the mill high-forward pivot, but it's not that low either. I'd have to wonder about pedaling interaction when going through the rough stuff (DW did say that it acellerates well, so there is obviously an interaction between the suspension and the chain torque).