Quantcast

Dual crown Endurbru fork

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Someone should make a lighter version of it.
I think they did Westy? I have the 25th ZI Anniversary Tribute Fork on my HardTail. SC 5” instead of 4”,also had a Lockout for climbing,Tapered Sterrer,Let me check more on this for more stats.
Avy

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I'd go the Privateer 141 happily hey. Those things look sick for all-dayer, do everything bikes.
A few friends have those and the 161. They seem solid! We just put a 170mm 38 on my buddy’s new Jibb. He had the air spring to reduce the travel but I wanted to see how it would measure and ride with a 170. He hasn’t wanted to change it since the first ride. He loves the 170mm with short travel in the rear. I can’t tell that he isn’t on the Madonna and he goes just as fast as before. Sweet little bikes. I may have seen a DH proto recently too. Not sure.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Sell one of the Flukes and propose to be an online influencer? Kidding, I just thought it could match you well. Super solid and reliable but in short travel. The design philosophy seems to be something you’d like.
Ha, never! Still have to buy a rollcab to put all the crap in, the workshop looks like a bomb has hit it.
In regards to being an influencer, there's already enough tubby douches on the net trying to convince people that XYZ tool is the best, plus everyone knows that the answer is Koken for sockets, Stahlwille for extensions and Hazet for ratchets.
The Raaw frames look amazing and their all specs and facts/no marketing BS approach is freakin' awesome! It's like Mullet Bikes, but the opposite!
Back to dual crown forks........

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Ha, never! Still have to buy a rollcab to put all the crap in, the workshop looks like a bomb has hit it.
In regards to being an influencer, there's already enough tubby douches on the net trying to convince people that XYZ tool is the best, plus everyone knows that the answer is Koken for sockets, Stahlwille for extensions and Hazet for ratchets.
The Raaw frames look amazing and their all specs and facts/no marketing BS approach is freakin' awesome! It's like Mullet Bikes, but the opposite!
Back to dual crown forks........
haha.
I saw the Formula dc enduro fork in person a few weeks ago. It looks exactly like what this thread is about. One thing though. A 170 or 180mm 38 or Zeb is a super tall fork. I change between a 200mm 40 and a 38 super easily just because the a2c is so close. I don’t use the 190 air spring anymore because I don’t need the front that low. A2c vs BB height is all that matters to me. If the bb height is good then we can longfork.

Why do we need an enduro specific dc fork again? I will get a Formula fork for testing in a little while. The cartridge system for shim and piston tuning looks really practical for tuning out of a van at the trails.

Jibb with a 170mm 38

5F258EC8-32AB-42CA-AAE9-4953F1FBF3A5.jpeg

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
haha.
I saw the Formula dc enduro fork in person a few weeks ago. It looks exactly like what this thread is about. One thing though. A 170 or 180mm 38 or Zeb is a super tall fork. I change between a 200mm 40 and a 38 super easily just because the a2c is so close. I don’t use the 190 air spring anymore because I don’t need the front that low.

Why do we need an enduro specific dc fork again? I will get a Formula fork for testing in a little while. The cartridge system for shim and piston tuning looks really practical for tuning out of a van at the trails.
If you get a spare hour please ring Craig at Avalanche and tell him you like the look of Formula's drop in tuning system.
My Z1 is sitting unused because I couldn't bring myself to buy an Avy cart after getting stuck in an endless loop on the phone.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
AFAIK X-Fusion made the suspension components for Bionicon, that had developed these geometry adjusting forks and shocks. The fork looks like the one they used on their Ironwood "downhill" bike.

I rode that bike. My god did it suck. The suspension just sucked ass.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
If you get a spare hour please ring Craig at Avalanche and tell him you like the look of Formula's drop in tuning system.
My Z1 is sitting unused because I couldn't bring myself to buy an Avy cart after getting stuck in an endless loop on the phone.
Got a grip 1 right?
I think an rc2 will fit but I don't think it will do 170mm with 29" wheels (too short)

Or you buy a grip 2 base valve (that needs moar shimz)
You get what I call a grip 1.5

Also fk CS.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Got a grip 1 right?
I think an rc2 will fit but I don't think it will do 170mm with 29" wheels (too short)

Or you buy a grip 2 base valve (that needs moar shimz)
You get what I call a grip 1.5

Also fk CS.
All good, I solved the issue with moar Manitou.
I may end up doing that though and getting the 120mm air shaft from the 29" fork, it was my first ever Fox product and I picked very poorly. I have no idea what the reviewers rode but it most certainly wasn't the fork I have, the bushings don't bind with the spring and damper out, the air spring is free as a free thing, it's just that the damper really really sucked.

Sorry, I haven't whinged about it for a few months, I need to vent from time to time, it's not often somebody makes a fork that is too shit for a hardtail.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I rode that bike. My god did it suck. The suspension just sucked ass.
I am so glad you are still with us!
How much time in psychotherapy did it take you to get back to a normal life again? :D

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I came very close to getting a Jibb, very pleased with the Smash I got eventually though.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Totally had that fork on a Sintesi Bazooka. But it was black stanchions. Those crowns were piss weak, sadly. Low speed stacks were enough to knock it out alignment.
Crowns were plenty strong. Wrap-around brake-arch not solidly connected to the lowers made it a noodle. That's where the structural deficiency was IMO.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Bling factor is why I have kept it around. I figured I would have some around town cruiser some day and it would be tits up front on that. 10+ years later and it still just sits.
If shipping to Hawaii wasn't such a bitch I'd ask for it for my townie that I use daily. It would probably attract too much attention though and get my bike stolen the next time I lock it at the harbor while I'm surfing.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
But you see tons of enduro bikes at local DH races like Crankworks and they all have SC forks.
You see loads of enduro bikes at DH races because many people can only afford one bike and want to be able to trail ride. They have SCs because that's what the industry offers. Neither reason makes that the best option. I hate being right when it takes 20 years for everyone to realise it but this topic is for sure another example, check back in 5 years. Just like forward seating position. I'd been preaching that since the late 90s.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
You see loads of enduro bikes at DH races because many people can only afford one bike and want to be able to trail ride. They have SCs because that's what the industry offers. Neither reason makes that the best option. I hate being right when it takes 20 years for everyone to realise it but this topic is for sure another example, check back in 5 years. Just like forward seating position. I'd been preaching that since the late 90s.
Great, I cannot wait until all bikes have Grim Donut geometry with dual crown forks. That way the weekend warrior dads can get really rad on their bike path adventures. :rolleyes: ;)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
oNe BiKe qUiVeR

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
How often do you see them on the podium?
To be fair, 3rd and 6th at World Champs on single crowns isn't bad, nor is winning Rampage.

But that aside, I'm not gonna pretend a dual crown isn't the safer and better option for normal humans.

Out of interest I'd love to see numerical stiffness data comparing a Zeb or 38 to current and older DH forks just to see where the line is. Like those old 32mm Boxxers can't have been much better surely?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
To be fair, 3rd and 6th at World Champs on single crowns isn't bad, nor is winning Rampage.

But that aside, I'm not gonna pretend a dual crown isn't the safer and better option for normal humans.

Out of interest I'd love to see numerical stiffness data comparing a Zeb or 38 to current and older DH forks just to see where the line is. Like those old 32mm Boxxers can't have been much better surely?
that proves my point, it's the exception, not the rule.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
This is from the E-Bike Rampage-

I think this video needs an exploded diagram somewhere in it.