Quantcast

Dual crown Endurbru fork

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Large frames back then routinely had 9" long head-tubes...for no good reason.
Better than current large frames with 4" HTs, but yeah, 9 is a bit much.

You can still get a Risse The Champ in 6-9" of travel, looks like it would need about 5" of spacers to work on a current Endubro frame.
1639963141229.png

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I got an empty beer can, basically the same thing, no?
No, those were Hannebrinks!

I actually *really* wanted the Bombshell USD fork with the flying tiger shark mouths on the uppers.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
No, those were Hannebrinks!

I actually *really* wanted the Bombshell USD fork with the flying tiger shark mouths on the uppers.
SO DO IT

AFAIK, they were repainted hanebrinks and zzyzx. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

LOL JK

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Have you ever asked that question while mounting a riser bar?
Those goofy large and XL frames were what started that whole culture of "downsizing" your frame size, because the 9" HT was connected to a TT that intersected the freaking ST at 21 or 22" from the BB and you basically had a death-mobile that was impossible to control on any technical stuff. We didn't have droppers back then and this shit was so bad for descending or technical stuff that you had to downsize to have reasonable control...but that idea got hard-wired in some people's head and and long after it was necessary they still subscribed to the idea. We don't take anywhere near the same hit for maneuverability and control that we did back in the day on the larger frames, but the idea (dream?) refuses to die...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Those goofy large and XL frames were what started that whole culture of "downsizing" your frame size, because the 9" HT was connected to a TT that intersected the freaking ST at 21 or 22" from the BB and you basically had a death-mobile that was impossible to control on any technical stuff. We didn't have droppers back then and this shit was so bad for descending or technical stuff that you had to downsize to have reasonable control...but that idea got hard-wired in some people's head and and long after it was necessary they still subscribed to the idea. We don't take anywhere near the same hit for maneuverability and control that we did back in the day on the larger frames, but the idea (dream?) refuses to die...
So you are saying that it was silly when mountain bikes were based off of road bike geometry? Who would have guessed. But all this new bike shit is a conspiracy to screw over consumers so maybe they were onto something.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
So you are saying that it was silly when mountain bikes were based off of road bike geometry? Who would have guessed. But all this new bike shit is a conspiracy to screw over consumers so maybe they were onto something.
Well... you need a 59°HTA with a 36" wheel because you can't possibly be expected to shift your weight back...Ain't no one got time for that.

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
Loving the frame protection on the TT. Rider must have big balls and needed to protect his rig. But considering the texture maybe it was more for added riding pleasure?

SO DO IT

AFAIK, they were repainted hanebrinks and zzyzx. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

LOL JK

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Let us be real: 99.99% of all riders that never leave the fire roads and flow trails would be better off with a lighweight, modernized "old school" geometry bike than these obese ENDUBRO monsters they ride now. Hence why gravel bikes are so successful: replace the drop bars with a flat one and voila: 90's MTB.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Let us be real: 99.99% of all riders that never leave the fire roads and flow trails would be better off with a lighweight, modernized "old school" geometry bike than these obese ENDUBRO monsters they ride now. Hence why gravel bikes are so successful: replace the drop bars with a flat one and voila: 90's MTB.
I don't agree with that at all, I ride some pretty weak stuff these days but I'd much rather do it on my 64deg HA hardtail than the shit from the olden days, walking super tight uphill switchbacks is better than compromising on the downs.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I don't agree with that at all, I ride some pretty weak stuff these days but I'd much rather do it on my 64deg HA hardtail than the shit from the olden days, walking super tight uphill switchbacks is better than compromising on the downs.
Then you have never ridden a well balanced, high end bike from that period. I mean, how many super slack BMX bikes do you see?
Don't get me wrong, I love being overbiked like the next guy. But I see quite often that, especially beginners, struggle with e.g. long-travel suspension that stops them dead on a root that a short travel bike would have bounced over or they have issues with the dynamic weight shift under braking or they wash out because of not putting enough weight on the front wheel thanks to reach numbers of a stretch limo.
The move to 1x drivetrains was awesome, easier to get beginners to understand the shifting pattern. Disc brakes are great too, although sometimes too strong for scared and ham-fisted beginners.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Then you have never ridden a well balanced, high end bike from that period. I mean, how many super slack BMX bikes do you see?
Don't get me wrong, I love being overbiked like the next guy. But I see quite often that, especially beginners, struggle with e.g. long-travel suspension that stops them dead on a root that a short travel bike would have bounced over or they have issues with the dynamic weight shift under braking or they wash out because of not putting enough weight on the front wheel thanks to reach numbers of a stretch limo.
The move to 1x drivetrains was awesome, easier to get beginners to understand the shifting pattern. Disc brakes are great too, although sometimes too strong for scared and ham-fisted beginners.
Yeah but as a hardtail rider there was no well designed AM bike until fairly recently. People didn't seem to understand that a hardtail needs to be slacker than a FS bike in the same category to make it somewhat useful, but no, big brands kept churning out "AM Hardtails" with 120-130mm of travel and a 68deg HA.
That was why I ordered a frame with a 64deg HTA in 2009, because everything fucking sucked, then BTR came along, sorted shit out and everyone copied.
In the last ~15yrs I have had one bike with more than one front chainring and that was because I bought some cranks on special with three rings, I quickly remembered how shit front mechs were and went back to 1by.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Yeah but as a hardtail rider there was no well designed AM bike until fairly recently. People didn't seem to understand that a hardtail needs to be slacker than a FS bike in the same category to make it somewhat useful, but no, big brands kept churning out "AM Hardtails" with 120-130mm of travel and a 68deg HA.
That was why I ordered a frame with a 64deg HTA in 2009, because everything fucking sucked, then BTR came along, sorted shit out and everyone copied.
In the last ~15yrs I have had one bike with more than one front chainring and that was because I bought some cranks on special with three rings, I quickly remembered how shit front mechs were and went back to 1by.
I rode a XL Azonic Steelhead as my FR/DJ hardtail for a while. That felt actually super good on flowy jump lines.

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
Also do not agree. Modern geo is relevant regardless of MTB category. Do agree that not everyone should be on a longer travel Enduro bike, and feel it can make the ride experience worse and potentially limit progression.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Isn't everything an enduro bike these days? We have XC Enduro bikes, Down Country Enduro bikes, Trail Enduro bikes, Enduro Downhill bikes and Downhill bikes. Everything is becoming more of the same, just with different travel options.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
If only someone made a bike that fit somewhere between a gravel bike and a 180mm travel park bike.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
So an FS gravel bike?
Rigid TT enduro bike, because all bikes are enduro bikes now.

I find I enjoy riding more when I don't care what other people are riding. Although I secretly hope I upset others when they see what I ride, my eyewear choices, or are angered by the position of my visor.

Last edited:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
then ride a gravel bike
I do, and a road bike, a cross bike, different enduro bikes, a DH bike (too little lately), an aggressive trail bike, a pump track bike, a DJ bike.
Because low and slack works best for everything, they are, of course, all 29ers with a 63 HA, 80 SA, mile long TT, 8 inches BB height....and electric motors. ;)

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Years ago when I was doing stuff with X Fusion I was able to use a prototype fork that had infinite travel adjustment on the fly with a bleeder valve on the bars. It was pretty slick as you could put it in any height you wanted. Not sure if they are still around or not.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Years ago when I was doing stuff with X Fusion I was able to use a prototype fork that had infinite travel adjustment on the fly with a bleeder valve on the bars. It was pretty slick as you could put it in any height you wanted. Not sure if they are still around or not.

xfusion is still around, that fork however is not

aenema

almost 100% positive
Sep 5, 2008
I still have an old Stratus S6 dual crown in the garage. I thought it would be funny on a cruiser or something but it just sits. If anybody wants this gold piece of bling, its theirs for shipping cost.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I figured, seemed to be a fleeting attempt even back then.
AFAIK X-Fusion made the suspension components for Bionicon, that had developed these geometry adjusting forks and shocks. The fork looks like the one they used on their Ironwood "downhill" bike.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
(I rode a 6" Super T on my RFX back in the day, made perfect sense at the time)
What doesn't still make sense about that, as much as anything about a steep-ass, short, high, mid-travel bike makes any sense at all??

I rode both the Super T and the Sherman Slider on mine.... geometry and travel were as good as you could get on the frame with the dual-crown options.

Back to the start of the thread, there...

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Mine was silvery-purple-gray. Can't say what exact model it was, though. That's blingtastic. I'm so tempted...even putting the RFX back together for a loaner bike...but I have too much crap already.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Isn't everything an enduro bike these days? We have XC Enduro bikes, Down Country Enduro bikes, Trail Enduro bikes, Enduro Downhill bikes and Downhill bikes. Everything is becoming more of the same, just with different travel options.
If I get a dually I'll still get a downcountry bike with a 65deg HA because they look like the most fun to ride, I don't wanna set records I just want to have fun. I don't have the skill or fitness to get the most out of an Enduro bike and find them boring to ride for most of the stuff I do, a 120mm hardtail with Minions is a hell of a lot of fun on quite a variety of terrain.

aenema

almost 100% positive
Sep 5, 2008
Mine was silvery-purple-gray. Can't say what exact model it was, though. That's blingtastic. I'm so tempted...even putting the RFX back together for a loaner bike...but I have too much crap already.
Bling factor is why I have kept it around. I figured I would have some around town cruiser some day and it would be tits up front on that. 10+ years later and it still just sits.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
If I get a dually I'll still get a downcountry bike with a 65deg HA because they look like the most fun to ride, I don't wanna set records I just want to have fun. I don't have the skill or fitness to get the most out of an Enduro bike and find them boring to ride for most of the stuff I do, a 120mm hardtail with Minions is a hell of a lot of fun on quite a variety of terrain.
You need a Raaw Jibb