Quantcast

Dual crown Endurbru fork

goodgrief

Monkey
Aug 13, 2008
Innerleithen, Scotland
Made by Suntour so yeah, not the best. Has something called Gravilube external lubrication.....Rux all over the place.
However, 35mm stanchions so charger damper conversion might not be out of the question.

ritche

Monkey
Dec 3, 2011
Just downgrade a light weight RS WC boxxer to do trail duties.
7 or 6 inch WC air boxxers modded with travel spacers (Semenuk's 7 inch boxxer). /thread.

*new lefty is proven/legit endurbru tine.
downhill, trail and now they have put one on their new cyclocross bike

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
the lefty chassis is legimately good, but they've got to put a serious damper in it before it's worth putting on the front of anything that doesn't have a pull shock.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Surprised no one had tried to throw a charger in thur. Is the damper an in-house Cannondale thing?

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Air spring + damper in the same leg make it most likely harder to build an aftermarket one.
Also, I have yet to see a CDale rider who would tinker with his bike, everything is proprietary on those things.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Surprised no one had tried to throw a charger in thur. Is the damper an in-house Cannondale thing?
yeah, it's a cannondale damper with an RS air spring system, last I knew. I had one, an older PBR model, that was soooo smooth, but it also dove like crazy and had little support. Still, being able to lean the bike over in a corner and have the fork move smoothly through its travel was a revelation compared to the 32mm RS forks I had been riding.

Supposedly the newest enduro models (SUPERMAX) have a different damper tune, but not being able to adjust compression is a sin on a go-fast fork.

There should be a way to slot a good damper on top of the air spring though...just too much proprietary shit.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
So do Fox 40s still have travel reduction via spacers, or was that just the very early models?

Kurt_80

Monkey
Jan 25, 2016
Perth, WA.
Digging up this old thread. I'm also keen on a reduced travel dual crown for an all round hard hitting bike. Around 160-180mm max.

Questions about possibilities I'm considering, if anyone has any insight...
1. Can you drop travel on a 2014 Boxxer coil? I've read a few things about putting spacers behind/underneath the top out spring, but nothing solid.
2. Can you drop travel on Fox 40s? I'm thinking of a 26er to fit a 27.5 wheel, so likely an older model. Again, read things here and there without verified evidence. The online manual doesn't seem to cover that detail either.
3. Any info on reducing travel in WC Boxxers, a la post number 84 further up the thread? Again, these would be the previous gen.
4. Is the Lefty's damping bad enough to give it a hard pass? Referencing the fork also in post number 84.
5. Has anyone frankenforked their setup? ex. Lyrik damper in a Boxxer to get a legitimate 170mm travel dual crown fork? That's way over my expertise, but curious if it can be done.
6. EDIT: Anyone used an Ohlins TTX 18 damper? Expensive but travel is adjustable from 160mm - 200mm.
For reference, I'd be thinking about putting this on a 27.5 shod Pivot Firebird.

Cheers all!
Kurt

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
2. Can you drop travel on Fox 40s? I'm thinking of a 26er to fit a 27.5 wheel, so likely an older model. Again, read things here and there without verified evidence. The online manual doesn't seem to cover that detail either.
not exactly sure what year models this covers, but here are the directions for the coil models (so older model years). adjustable down to 6.5" in 1/2" increments.

i know that @HAB has a travel reduced 40, but I believe his is air sprung.

edit: got curious, fox introduced the air sprung 40 in 2013 in both 26 and 27.5 sizes.

edit 2: that link above is for forks newer than 2008, i have a 2008 coil spring 40, and that has 4 travel spacers, not 3 (and can go down to 6" travel).

Last edited:

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
The only singlecrown fork I've been completely happy with stiffness-wise was a tapered steerer totem. So yeah, I agree, it would be rad to have a super pinner dc trailbike fork.

I'd almost get the crowns and stanchions from one of those e150s and start there. You could probably get a charger damper in one. :D
Kidwoo,did you ever ride a Mazi 66 RC2x? A fine fork.I still have mine. To me,you can’t have everything,where would you put it?
Avy

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
not exactly sure what year models this covers, but here are the directions for the coil models (so older model years). adjustable down to 6.5" in 1/2" increments.

i know that @HAB has a travel reduced 40, but I believe his is air sprung.

edit: got curious, fox introduced the air sprung 40 in 2013 in both 26 and 27.5 sizes.

edit 2: that link above is for forks newer than 2008, i have a 2008 coil spring 40, and that has 4 travel spacers, not 3 (and can go down to 6" travel).
Older air 40s with the coil negative spring can just be lowered by shoving whatever spacer you can make work under the topout bumper. Newer ones with the air negative spring need a shorter air shaft, so that the negative chamber gets pressurized. Fox makes a 190 mm now, but nothing shorter than that. I made a 180 mm one a while ago by cutting down a stock one, but you need to do a pretty good job of cutting a new sealing face for the o-ring on the foot stud, and threading the air shaft for the same. I wouldn't try it without a lathe.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
In the late 90s/early 2000s this was the direction things were headed. Rockshox had a 4" dual crown Judy and I think I even remember a Sid. The E150 had promise and I loved my Maverick DUC (after extensive spring and damper mods). When freeriders started doing tricks I saw the industry heading toward single crowns for the mid-travel market and was disappointed but realized it was hopeless cuz there was no type of racing using 5-7" forks so no one was gonna be pursuing maximum stiffness to weight. It was gonna become about tight turning radius and X-ups. Now with Enduro I'd like to see companies experiment with 6-7" travel dual crowns to see if they can be better than what exists. At the extreme light end I don't think they'll beat the 150mm Pike/34 but at the weight of a 170mm Lyric/36 maybe it can work better.
You forgot Mazi had a 4” DC with 20mm Axel,way better than the RockShock,or anything at that time period,I still have it,beat the Shit out of it on my Hardtail. I also have the same fork single crown,I would switch um. I have to agree though,in the rocks,I could Fell the single Flex. The turning radious never upset me On the DC.
Avy

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
I owned a first or second gen one. I kept breaking the damper rod in it because the idiots who designed it let the piston bottom out and it would shove the threaded adjuster down into the rod.
Um ok,I had no real time on it. I thought it would be kewl to put it on my Super 8. I had been runin the 02 Monster. Back then,there was no option but a DC For the 8. Then the Boom of SC’s,and I pulled the trigger,bought a used 66 from Here. A nice Man from AZ,a Architect he was,off his Turner Highline. It is a different bike,it Felt like I lost 10 pounds on the front,though my Bars were way to short. Also, it came in at 49 pounds with the Monster. I forgot was it was with the 66?
Avy

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
1998 Super T. The First model was QR,which I also had,that was 97?
Avy
Man, if only those forks had good dampers, think of the possibilities...The chassis and lubrication were solid for the time.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
'98 Super T (non production) with stickers from much later.

Picture_5011.jpg

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
that was the OG mr t. (the super-t was 6")

No Brother,Wrong. That is the same fork as mine,4 “ of travel. I was wrong as well,it is a Mr.T,Super was 6 “. Is that you”re fork?
Avy

Last edited: