Quantcast

BOOOOOO E-BIKES

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
if this is eligible for the $500 Denver e-cargo bike rebate I may pick one up today. I'd leave it up at the mountain house to use to ride into Fraser for supplies

View attachment 203917

edit: it is not eligible for said rebate as a cargo bike.
nothing says efficiency like planning responsible somebody else subsidized transportation from your second house you don't live in

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Fraser, eh?

Sorry. Err...Good for you! :D

The Warrior Princess drives me batty. I do appreciate Sol Vista...err Granby Ranch tho. If I'm going to ride shitty sandy dirt. May as well be a small mountain where it is not governed by the USFS. Just insurance companies. :D

Haven't skied there. Being up north I'm more keen on trying out Wyo Snowies. But alas. I already committed to Epic Pass. Boo.

All things considered, it's good we have all the options!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
re Walmart trails, this looks fun

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
re Walmart trails, this looks fun

I've got a buddy who wants to move there, too. IDK. Looks humid and there's no skiing. But lots of trails that people who don't know how to ride can do!

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Yeah. The Wife. It's like her pronoun. It's singular. I'm no Utard.

No offense if you're one. And thanks for letting me stay in the spot that is really an annex of Colorado.

:D

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
I'd say SL, gearbox, belt drive e-bikes are the future. Most owners will prefer the more bike like feel to full power e-bikes. Land managers and other trail users will prefer e-bikes with power levels that make them more like normal bikes than like mini-motos.

Until I'm old and out of shape the only e-bike I'm interested in is a high power, big battery, 8" travel, gear box/belt drive that I'll add a throttle to. I'll treat it like a 1/2 weight Surron but use the pedals to maintain range despite a smaller battery.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I'd say SL, gearbox, belt drive e-bikes are the future. Most owners will prefer th...
I think you need to take some time away from high end cycle shops and mtb nerds to re balance your outlook on what is actually being bought and ridden out in the real world

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I agree lighter Ebikes ride way nicer. especially with an in shape skilled rider on board... but that's an absolutely miniscule percentage of the demographic of high end Emtb buyers.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
I agree lighter Ebikes ride way nicer. especially with an in shape skilled rider on board... but that's an absolutely miniscule percentage of the demographic of high end Emtb buyers.
Donkey's gonna donk. The key is to not let them steer the industry. Like they did by asking for road bikes with disc brakes, low gears, and high weights.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Ah... so every bike brand should be designing their bikes for the three of us and ignoring the millions waving notes at them?
:drag: :thumb:

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Ah... so every bike brand should be designing their bikes for the three of us and ignoring the millions waving notes at them?
:drag: :thumb:
If the goal is good performing products that meet the needs of expert riders, than yes. That's what performance gear companies should make. They can also make some low end stuff for the budgeteers and goofy stuff to satisfy whatever new fad the marketing team wants to target. But the high end stuff shouldn't be corrupted by input from intermediates & idiots.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Donkey's gonna donk. The key is to not let them steer the industry. Like they did by asking for road bikes with disc brakes, low gears, and high weights.
Ah yes, we are far better off having the industry steered by flogs who want cable integration, shocks hidden in frames and one piece handlebar-stem combos for the perfect Insta banger #outsideisfree #LiveLoveLaugh #blessed Use Code DADDYSMONEY for 10% off at my supporters webstore.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Ah yes, we are far better off having the industry steered by flogs who want cable integration, shocks hidden in frames and one piece handlebar-stem combos for the perfect Insta banger #outsideisfree #LiveLoveLaugh #blessed Use Code DADDYSMONEY for 10% off at my supporters webstore.
no one fast asked for these things

dentists asked for these things

.....from designers for aesthetics, not from engineers for better performance

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I was at a different riding spot today and I'm sure I saw more ebikes than normal bikes. I saw some pretty high end stuff too. It was weird. There was as group of guys that rode by us and I told my buddy "There goes about 70k worth of ebike" (Intense, SC, Mondraker), and these things were decked out with nice suspension and nice parts.

Gary above mentioned the percentage of in-shape/skilled riders buying ebikes is small. After today, I totally believe it 100% (I always kind of knew it, but today confirmed it). From what I've seen the only people riding high end ebikes are out of shape people that do only do flow trails. I've never seen an ebike on anything more than a blue flow trail.

Why is this happening?

(although if you're 65 years old and an ebike is how you get out for a ride without blowing your heart up, good on you)

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
From what I've seen the only people riding high end ebikes are out of shape people that do only do flow trails. I've never seen an ebike on anything more than a blue flow trail.
That's not my experience at all, at least not on more advanced trails in the Bay Area, Santa Cruz, and Sierra regions (and beyond). I see high-end e-bikes being used by good, fit riders to access advanced trails all the time, especially where there is no shuttle access. I'm not going pro anytime soon but my personal experience is using them for longer rides, more laps in a given time frame, etc. Not a replacement for a regular bike, more like another rig in the quiver that makes sense for certain days.

So even if there are a bunch of "out of shape people that do only do flow trails" on e-bikes, they are definitely not the only people on e-bikes.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
That's not my experience at all, at least not on more advanced trails in the Bay Area, Santa Cruz, and Sierra regions (and beyond). I see high-end e-bikes being used by good, fit riders to access advanced trails all the time, especially where there is no shuttle access. I'm not going pro anytime soon but my personal experience is using them for longer rides, more laps in a given time frame, etc. Not a replacement for a regular bike, more like another rig in the quiver that makes sense for certain days.

So even if there are a bunch of "out of shape people that do only do flow trails" on e-bikes, they are definitely not the only people on e-bikes.
Well I'm happy to hear that. Must be a local Vancouver-area thing then.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
From what I've seen the only people riding high end ebikes are out of shape people that do only do flow trails. I've never seen an ebike on anything more than a blue flow trail.
In Australia, a significant proportion of the early e-bike sales were for amateurs or new riders. Possibly to keep up with fitter friends or whatever. Lately though, more and more of the advanced riders are getting them for either training or to maximise their smiles per mile or whatever.

When I was in Whistler last year I did a big adventure day where most of the riders were on e-bikes (including Tippie) and the only exceptions were a couple of semi-pros and us dumb Aussies who have to use regular bikes for travel. And those trails were anything but blue flow. Proper exposed gnar and slabs and steeps. I had to push a lot of the climbs and would gladly have taken an e-bike for that kind of awesomeness.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
On some of our local steep trails, I prefer to ride them on the ebike as opposed to my enduro bike, just because it sucks to spend 30+ mins climbing only to burn all the elevation in 3 mins because of how steep they are. Other little things add in to it too... easy to wear a full face/pants/long sleeves without being a sweaty mess. Plus the ebike is planted AF with DH tires, HD alu rims, & burly suspension.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
n Australia, a significant proportion of the early e-bike sales were for amateurs or new riders. Possibly to keep up with fitter friends or whatever. Lately though, more and more of the advanced riders are getting them for either training or to maximise their smiles per mile or whatever.
Exactly the same here. And the biggest hurdle for the vast majority of them was their own dumb snobbery and pride. With many you could actually see their facial expression change at even the mention of an Ebike. Took nearly 5 years for a lot of these thick fucks to get it and some are still coming out with the same old dumb ass clichés and arguments of comparable merit to those of a flat earther. Or an American. :happy:

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Exactly the same here. And the biggest hurdle for the vast majority of them was their own dumb snobbery and pride. With many you could actually see their facial expression change at even the mention of an Ebike. Took nearly 5 years for a lot of these thick fucks to get it and some are still coming out with the same old dumb ass clichés and arguments of comparable merit to those of a flat earther. Or an American. :happy:
Yeah some former quite vocal anti-e-bikers here are now quietly rolling around on them haha.

To be fair, the pricing and the tech has come a long way in that time too. The first e-bike i ever tried felt like it was noisy, ~30kg and the motor assistance delay was lagged so much it felt awful. They're a lot more polished now.

Some people still rant and rave about them (both sides are equally fuckin annoying tbh), but its less passionate than it used to be.