Quantcast

BOOOOOO E-BIKES

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Motors are definitely more refined these days but personally the poorer geometry of early Eebs was the only thing that held me back from getting one soooner than I did. If anything. With the *need* to have massive internal batteries versus external increased their weight. Ie. There's barely any full power sub 25kg 160-170mm bikes. And of what there are most cost a similar amount to a new small car. Whereas my old external battery E-Sommet is sub 22kg. And far more nimble because of it. I'd love a modern SL but they're just not worth their price.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
what the sl bikes need are modern cells. a tesla 4860 cell has about 100wh in a 46x80mm package at around 355g per cell. 5 of them could be build in a super slim, bit more than 40cm long housing in a sub 1.8kg weight 500wh battery. those would allow a downtube not wider than 50-55mm. these batteries are already buildable today if the bike industry could get them.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
Motors are definitely more refined these days but personally the poorer geometry of early Eebs was the only thing that held me back from getting one soooner than I did. If anything. With the *need* to have massive internal batteries versus external increased their weight. Ie. There's barely any full power sub 25kg 160-170mm bikes. And of what there are most cost a similar amount to a new small car. Whereas my old external battery E-Sommet is sub 22kg. And far more nimble because of it. I'd love a modern SL but they're just not worth their price.
those internal ones need to be removable, makes the whole package heavier. but external is not out yet, there’s a new 800wh bosch powerpak soon.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
what the sl bikes need are modern cells. a tesla 4860 cell has about 100wh in a 46x80mm package at around 355g per cell. 5 of them could be build in a super slim, bit more than 40cm long housing in a sub 1.8kg weight 500wh battery. those would allow a downtube not wider than 50-55mm. these batteries are already buildable today if the bike industry could get them.
You're a bit behind the times on this one mate.
When the Orbea Rise rolled out 2 years ago, the batteries installed had a greater energy density than the Teslas (This was part of the marketing spiel given to us dealers about the all new product).
By now I expect many other manufacturers will be running them as well, or given the rate of change in the science possibly even more energy dense packs.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
You're a bit behind the times on this one mate.
When the Orbea Rise rolled out 2 years ago, the batteries installed had a greater energy density than the Teslas (This was part of the marketing spiel given to us dealers about the all new product).
By now I expect many other manufacturers will be running them as well, or given the rate of change in the science possibly even more energy dense packs.
true, these cells are nothing revolutionary on energy density, but the form factor would allow better package in battery cases as there is less unused space inbetween cells. you would just stack 4-x cells in series, as long as your downtube allows, maximum usage of space

shirk007

Monkey
Apr 14, 2009
true, these cells are nothing revolutionary on energy density, but the form factor would allow better package in battery cases as there is less unused space inbetween cells. you would just stack 4-x cells in series, as long as your downtube allows, maximum usage of space
Good luck with your 14.8 v battery pack.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
For me and where I live I have both. We won't talk about the endurbro bike (non e), but I have a newish Trek with a tiny motor that is silent or moar silent than an RC car. Which the noise always kinda bothered me. In certain circumstances I do miss the power/torque, but woe is me.

Ebikes are not faster on the DH. IMO. In fact, I feel like I'm slower. But I'm getting old and just want to have fun. I'm not going to complain about getting out and enjoying the great outdoors, getting some vit D, checking out the hot hiker chicks. Maybe some adrenaline, which maybe the wife would like for testosterone (wink wink). Having a purpose to get together with the bros other than football games. It's all good too. :D

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Honestly never understood why anyone is bothered by an Ebike motor making some noise. Even the loudest motors are barely more noticeable than tyre noise. Also the noise is actually handy to guage what the motor is doing in the same way it is any motorised vehicle

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
E-bikes are not faster on pure DH, but a lot of times biiig rides have undulations, even if it seems like descending on paper. So if you have climbing in your ‘descents’, the ebike is probably gonna be faster…way faster.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Climbing in the descents is one of the things that make e-bikes so enticing. If it is a pure DH/shuttle, then I’m riding a regular bike.
I’m not going to say no to thousands of miles of trail just because they have climbs in the middle. That’s just dumb.
And yes, we do have thousands (upon thousands) of trails that undulate.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Well again, where I live, ebikes are not in favor. So the more stealth, the better. Even if they are legal. You don't want to disturb the bros. It's just better to pass them on the downs than on the ups.

Full disclosure, I have been passed on a steep climb by a bro. I was on the eeb. He regular bike. I'm like good on you bro. You must have had a big bowl of redbull. Then I passed him on the down. HA

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
Climbing in the descents is one of the things that make e-bikes so enticing. If it is a pure DH/shuttle, then I’m riding a regular bike.
I’m not going to say no to thousands of miles of trail just because they have climbs in the middle. That’s just dumb.
And yes, we do have thousands (upon thousands) of trails that undulate.
that’s why i‘m only on the descents in turbo, to keep up momentum whenever there is a slight uphill. 2 pedal strokes and go

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
the more stealth, the better
lol
1707904581531.png

Better for what? Your own insecurity?

As I said earlier. Motor noise is actually helpful. Incase you didn't understand. It's helpful to aid traction. helpful to hear over run and it's taper. (especially if like Seth or you descend in turbo/boost) helpful to judge effort vs motor input. Helpful if you're trying to eek out as much battery as possible. Learn it! Use it! Better yourself!

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
lol
View attachment 207731

Better for what? Your own insecurity?

As I said earlier. Motor noise is actually helpful. Incase you didn't understand. It's helpful to aid traction. helpful to hear over run and it's taper. (especially if like Seth or you descend in turbo/boost) helpful to judge effort vs motor input. Helpful if you're trying to eek out as much battery as possible. Learn it! Use it! Better yourself!
I agree to disagree :D

Like really, you need the sound of a motor to judge shit? Maybe you need to shut up. I prefer silence, so there's that. You may prefer sugary drinks to coffee. I did not make fun of you for that. Now get off my lawn! :D

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Wet dream MOAR like.
Zero mention of any sort of riding and looks to be some sort of masterplan to round them all up in a field somewhere to queue for food and seating keeping em all safely away from good trails.