Quantcast

BOOOOOO E-BIKES

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
i chose to live here, i pay good coin for a nearly net energy home. what stops americans to buy homes that are build the same? why do they rebuild their homes after a catastrophy in the same stupid way? why do they seem to not learn from their mistakes?

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
If electric boosted bicycles get people out of cars, that's great. The energy expenditure across the entire spectrum is reduced, especially compared to pushing some heavy ass telsa around.
Great point! The wrong EVs are pushed on us. For example, a small 2 seater (think Smart) would be what I would run 90% of the time while keeping my diesel-fueled car for long road trips or when I need to transport big things. However, super small and cheap EVs do not exist. The second thing here is that if you have two cars registered, tax and insurance doubles although I would only be using one vehicle at a time. IMO the industry needs to be forced by the governments to produce the EVs that people realistically need and a majority can afford. Then there needs to be a possibility to own multiple vehicles and not having to pay tax/insurance for all of them all the time. With all modern cars it would be super easy to track them and the owners pay only for the actually driven miles. That would also financially incentivise less driving. ATM ownership of a vehicle is expensive, but usage is relatively cheap. Turn this around and make ownership cheap and the use expensive.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
Great point! The wrong EVs are pushed on us. For example, a small 2 seater (think Smart) would be what I would run 90% of the time while keeping my diesel-fueled car for long road trips or when I need to transport big things. However, super small and cheap EVs do not exist. The second thing here is that if you have two cars registered, tax and insurance doubles although I would only be using one vehicle at a time. IMO the industry needs to be forced by the governments to produce the EVs that people realistically need and a majority can afford. Then there needs to be a possibility to own multiple vehicles and not having to pay tax/insurance for all of them all the time. With all modern cars it would be super easy to track them and the owners pay only for the actually driven miles. That would also financially incentivise less driving. ATM ownership of a vehicle is expensive, but usage is relatively cheap. Turn this around and make ownership cheap and the use expensive.
imho ownership will get less and less attractive over time, it justs needs cheaper mobility as a service solutions

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
imho ownership will get less and less attractive over time, it justs needs cheaper mobility as a service solutions
In principle you do not own any car that has a link to the internet. The manufacturer can turn it off and blackmail you for more money at any time. I am not even getting started on the right to repair, which should come with ownership. As much as e.g. Tesla tries to stop independent repair shops to work on their cars, I pretty much question who owns the car. You? Naaa, Tesla doesn't think so. But great that you paid a fortune for "partial ownership". ;)

I would be cool with service solutions, but then they have to be cheap and I don't want to get a rental that a smoker drove before me.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
just for storing a car downstairs in the garage would cost me 150 per month. street side parking like in germany is not possible here. so why even bother when a flatrate for the whole of swiss public transport network costs me 340 per month? and i can reach most of the inhabitaed villages at least once per hour because the whole system is perfectly clocked and you never need to wait more than 15min for the next connection in your trip.

i‘d rather get one those in the 45km/h version for hauling stuff locally:

1700426926725.png

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
i chose to live here, i pay good coin for a nearly net energy home. what stops americans to buy homes that are build the same?
Compared to you? Poverty. That and an entire industry built on maximum profitability, not long-term sustainability. You can build whatever you want here with enough money, but deviating from common standards is for le rich.

Not all of us can afford to live in whistler right out of school either. Which you obviously went to and from in a sailboat.

why do they rebuild their homes after a catastrophy in the same stupid way? why do they seem to not learn from their mistakes?
You really don't know much

No matter how much further you climb up your own ass, Switzerland is going to undergo the same problems the rest of the world is in 20 years from a heating planet. You can pat yourself on the back all you want but you're not changing anything but your own sense of self importance.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
so whats your solution? besides keep on burning gas to have fun?
we all live off your trust fund or family money like you do?

you focus so hard on a gallon or two of gas burned in a week from a dirtbike, and not on the car I drive to and from work that burns way more fuel......not for fun, for work. Along with the hundreds of millions of others every single day doing the same thing in vehicles.

that little dinky dirtbike burns nothing compared to all the bro brah mountainbikers and skiers that fly into your country to ride chairlifts and pay for guides

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
just for storing a car downstairs in the garage would cost me 150 per month. street side parking like in germany is not possible here. so why even bother when a flatrate for the whole of swiss public transport network costs me 340 per month? and i can reach most of the inhabitaed villages at least once per hour because the whole system is perfectly clocked and you never need to wait more than 15min for the next connection in your trip.

i‘d rather get one those in the 45km/h version for hauling stuff locally:

View attachment 203890
This is a solution if you live in the city. I do not because I could not afford a house there that I liked. While in Denmark public transport is generally great, if you are getting away from the bigger cities it falls apart quickly. Here for example they are thinning out the bus routes by either closing them down or running busses less frequent. I would have to take the bike 5 km to get to the nearest bus stop anyway. My 25 km commute is faster on a bike than by bike/public transport, however, as I often work long hours, I take the car too often.
Parallel to the wish of the city to reduce their CO2 footprint by closing down downtown to (especially older) cars, they reduce the possibilities to get to town by PT from the surrounding rural areas. The new tram they build and some regional train lines have problems all the time and then don't run. So if you try to force people out of their cars, then offer an affordable and reliable alternative. Sounds like Switzerland has figured this out.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
My bad I thought we were still rambling about mass transport, shipping and automobiles. That's what we've been getting into hydrogen for.

Probably not real valid for bicycles
You can use hydrogen to blow up e-bikes though. :butcher:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
man it would be so weird if I spent the next hour searching for all the dumbass wealthy excesses for bizillonaires switzerland has

I bet those gas fireplaces run on hydro.....uh gas

I guess this is what sustainable living looks like

probably an ecopter

runs on hydro

chaletzermatt.JPG

Last edited:

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
nope, maybe for flying. even ships should rather run on ammoniak than hydrogen, just too inefficient

View attachment 203893
Ahahahhahaha what a load of shit

*edit* for clarity - those numebrs are wrong, the process is wrong and the failure to include battery weight penalties would seem to indicate some cherry-picking.

FWIW, I'm doing principally work on hydro-electric generation systems now but the hydrogen stuff being trialled is ridiculously effective. Plus you can refuel in a minute or two, which for haul trucks is a pretty important factor

Last edited:

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
you can refuel in minutes, and then the refuiling station need to build up pressure again before the next vehicle can be fueled. which takes a while, this is not the same as refuiling with gas. fool cells are over…

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I rode yesterday and about 10-12 ebikes passed me over two laps. I found that quietly making a "rrRRrrRtrRrrrr" sound while climbing gave me a satisfying feeling of inclusivity.
Dr. Nick you crack me up! Where was this?

There's like no ebikes up here. At least when/where I ride.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
man it would be so weird if I spent the next hour searching for all the dumbass wealthy excesses for bizillonaires switzerland has

I bet those gas fireplaces run on hydro.....uh gas

I guess this is what sustainable living looks like

probably an ecopter

runs on hydro

View attachment 203895
why you posting my appartment for everyone to see? stop doxxing me!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
how many kwh does your uninsulated paper marche house waste use?
I realize this is getting in the way of the pile on on Switzerland hydro here, but I'd like to note that my built-in-2015 house has R-38 walls and R-50 in the attic. and that 13.94 kW of PV. and good solar gain from south facing window banks.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
so whats your solution? besides keep on burning gas to have fun?
I'd start with stop giving my tax money to overseas countries. And maybe spend it on our own country.

Like, hello, more DH Trails! But no, there's no money to launder in that. Or is there? :D

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Is that the "Pius" episode? Making fun of the Toyota Prius. I swear, South Park, Simpsons, several others, really predict the future. Even from several years ago. Almost like peeps are watching this and getting ideas and even promotions from using their fiction and turning into reality. What's next? Taming giant worms for spice in the desert? (Dune reference)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
if this is eligible for the $500 Denver e-cargo bike rebate I may pick one up today. I'd leave it up at the mountain house to use to ride into Fraser for supplies

rei.PNG

edit: it is not eligible for said rebate as a cargo bike.

Last edited: