Quantcast

Best budget DH frame

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
The Glory is hard to beat, but if you're *really* on a budget, perhaps the Airborne Taka (i.e. old Iron Horse Kumicho I believe) or Go-Ride has some killer deals on 951s and 303 RDHs.

I'd also be interested to see what the alu GT Fury comes in at.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
i paid $1550 for a new Scott Gambler DH10 frameset. 43% off msrp.
i haggled like 6 months with the shop owner, who had it over a year hanging in the wall, to get this price...

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
I see your Glory and raise you a SETTE VEXX.

Vexx with Vivid

$600 bones and has a full 1.5" headtube so you can slack to your hearts content.

if you question it; there is a guy on emptybeer (a really good rider) who bought one as a joke--turns out the bike rides very very well; he ended up keeping it.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
At $1900 you can pick up a new 2010 Rocky Mt Flatline Park Bike. Not the same frame as the 2010 and 2011 Flatline Race Frames, but the same as the years before. It is just as nice as the 2010 and 11, but has a little more weight in the frame. You could still build a bike up around 40lbs with it.

Just a thought and good luck,
Cecil

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
sette frame + a fork would cost what the glory or or kona would cost for frame only
plus with a -2 degree reducer headset you can drop the bb below 14" and get a HA of 64 degrees. thoroughly modern geo for the discerning RM DH racer. :D

and if you don't want people to know you bought a Sette bike, just paint/powdercoat it and tell people its a "prototype"

thad

Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
I guess I interpreted "best budget bike" as best riding, best performing bike under his budget of $2050. Not, what is the cheapest possible bike I can buy that kinda looks like a DH bike. That Sette has crazy long chainstays, high bb, steep HA, and it's heavy. It also comes with a cruddy shock. Plus it's ugly, and everyone will assume you are a cheap ass gaper.

Hesh To Steel

Monkey
Dec 12, 2007
Hell's Kitchen
I guess I interpreted "best budget bike" as best riding, best performing bike under his budget of $2050. Not, what is the cheapest possible bike I can buy that kinda looks like a DH bike. That Sette has crazy long chainstays, high bb, steep HA, and it's heavy. It also comes with a cruddy shock. Plus it's ugly, and everyone will assume you are a cheap ass gaper.
What other people will think is always in the top 2 when it comes to the set of criteria i use when buying a bike.

Let's not forget that the high BB and steep HA were just fine for people a few years ago, and will be more than fine for a beginner, which i am assuming, (perhaps incorrectly) is what the OP wants this frame for.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
lol wut? the CS is 17.5"...how do you consider that crazy long? that's what my nomad2 CS length is.

and the HA / BB issue is easily fixed w/ an angleset, as has been posted above.

as for being ugly, well that's subjective and not worth arguing about.

simontac

Chimp
Jul 29, 2010
Well I am riding a 2010 Mongoose Boot'r Team bought in Canada in June.

Vivid 5.1. Rock Shox Boxxer Team, Holzfellar OCT, E13, FUNN bar/stem, SDG post/seat, 150 X 12 rear maxle, Sunn Rims.
Ride time this season at Bromont, Seven Springs, Diablo, Plattekill, Whiteface.
Not perfect, but for a pretty good DH rider with many years DH experience, its great. Not really 'sofa plush', but it pedals excellent, and feels incredible when you run it into its travel. Not much of a jumper but it handles all drops I want to do great...

Rode Plattekill this Saturday - and it was great. Having ridden Mt Snow, Diablo, Seven Springs, Whiteface, Bromont, Calabogie (closed), Camp Fortune, and now Plattekill in the last 3 years, I can say without a doubt Plattekill is my favourite. Whiteface is a close second, Calabogie (closed) third, Bromont fourth, with the rest all clumped together. Love the left side (going up the chairlift) of Diablo - but the rest just is not my style. Seven Springs is fun and great people and staff, but other than a few short sections of EC1 and 2 and a few short offshoots, pretty tame stuff.
Plattekill is just simply 'extreme'. Runs are very challenging in every aspect. Can spend all day just trying to get 'excellent' and cleaning a different line/etc. One drawback about Plattekill - do not expect it to be well marked. If you are a little apprehensive about jumping off a 6 foot rock drop at full speed into a shale rock garden berm surrounded by razor blade 'spectator' rocks - please please ride a little cautious!! HAHA. But know that going in, and its fine.
Anyway, Boot'r has been great this year - didn't like it at Bromont, but that may have been more to do with a too light rear coil, and a bad experience on the Schwalbe Muddy Mary's.
Oh and this full Boot'r Team cost about $2200 in June. Have seen the frames w/Vivid 5.1 on other sites for $800 or less.

Aug 25, 2011
West Milford, NJ, 'MERICA
But a great type of frame. Go between transition and intense. Get an m9 not a 951. Don't buy kona unless it's an operator. The stinkys well stink. Morewood and giant and trek are great budget bikes. Commencal though

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Does it have to be new? There is a nice legend on mtbr for 1600$ and I doubt you will crack it. Also camp of champions seems to have nice deals.

If not look for after season closeouts. Any company that has a new model for 2012 will be selling their frames cheap if you know where to look.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
Holy good god that sette looks just like my makulu! Considering the regret I feel for the money wasted on past annual bike upgrades, I'd rock that sette and probably still ride the exact same speed in cat 2. :eek:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Holy good god that sette looks just like my makulu! Considering the regret I feel for the money wasted on past annual bike upgrades, I'd rock that sette and probably still ride the exact same speed in cat 2. :eek:
Cant comment on angle set installed sette but that frame stock from astro rode pretty bad.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
But a great type of frame. Go between transition and intense. Get an m9 not a 951. Don't buy kona unless it's an operator. The stinkys well stink. Morewood and giant and trek are great budget bikes. Commencal though
morewood and trek are great budget bikes? :think:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
What other people will think is always in the top 2 when it comes to the set of criteria i use when buying a bike.

Let's not forget that the high BB and steep HA were just fine for people a few years ago, and will be more than fine for a beginner, which i am assuming, (perhaps incorrectly) is what the OP wants this frame for.
Lets not forget that what we call a steep HTA and a hi BB today was then slack and low, also then people thought us DHers were already crazy with those specs. Nowadays everyone talkes about how you just cant downhill with a 15in BB height and a 65 degree HTA..... But everyone here on the site that has been riding for more than five years has.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Lets not forget that what we call a steep HTA and a hi BB today was then slack and low, also then people thought us DHers were already crazy with those specs. Nowadays everyone talkes about how you just cant downhill with a 15in BB height and a 65 degree HTA..... But everyone here on the site that has been riding for more than five years has.
everybody has, and now there are better options, everybody would rather have them. the point is not that its not possible, its just that if you have the opportunity to get modern DH geometry (eg you're paying money for a new frame) might as well do it right

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
It is like getting drunk on a party and sleeping with an ugly girl. Yes you did it but you would rather forget it and never do that again ;)

btw. It was possible to ride for more than 5 years and have a slack/low bikes. There were some companies who for some random reasons came with now modern geo. Im not sure if the 1st gen dhi wasnt it. Seen a few others

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Cant comment on angle set installed sette but that frame stock from astro rode pretty bad.
I did pretty heavy research on the Sette, the linkage was changed from the initial Astro version from falling to rising rate. The sette has the newer linkage.

I haven't ridden one so I can't really comment, but for $600 with a decent shock, you won't find a better deal. I think the complete bike comes in just over $2000, and that's just mental for what you get.

If for whatever reason you don't want the sette, used is the way to go, with the IH sunday setting the standard for highly compatible, high performing, and really good value for your dollar. Plus, tons of aftermarket support. Beyond that, whatever last year's intense is (M6, M3, M1, whatever) is always a good frame as they refine without completely changing things.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I did pretty heavy research on the Sette, the linkage was changed from the initial Astro version from falling to rising rate. The sette has the newer linkage.

I haven't ridden one so I can't really comment, but for $600 with a decent shock, you won't find a better deal. I think the complete bike comes in just over $2000, and that's just mental for what you get.
Hard to beat yes but unless what you say is true it is not worth getting a ****ty bike if he can afford a glory. You wouldnt go to a 5$ prostitute because you wont find a better deal, would you? ;) Though Im complaining a bit because now we have 2 euro direct order companies who offer bikes for scraps. If it is updated than yes it is a great deal.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Hard to beat yes but unless what you say is true it is not worth getting a ****ty bike if he can afford a glory. You wouldnt go to a 5$ prostitute because you wont find a better deal, would you? ;) Though Im complaining a bit because now we have 2 euro direct order companies who offer bikes for scraps. If it is updated than yes it is a great deal.
You dont buy one 5k hooker..... you buy a 1k hooker and tip her better for much better action.....

WParsons

Chimp
Mar 19, 2011
Depending on the trails you ride, a steeper H/A might be better. You don't need a 64* h/a if your tracks are flatish and twisty. It gives you a better handling bike if not too raked out.