Quantcast

awwww shit. IT'S ON

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I don't know, I don't feel the commentary is too bad. I mean, it doesn't make my viewing experience worse than it was before, it's just not as interesting. For sure there's room for improvement, but they need time to grow into it. I mean, when Rob first started, back in the Freecaster days, I actually had to turn off the sound as I couldn't take all his incoherent screaming.

That said, Cedric has had a head start as the French announcer on Red Bull. If he doesn't significantly improve quickly, I wouldn't be sad if they cut him. Perhaps they keep him on until Wyn is ready to retire? I also think I'd rather have Eliott back than Rob.... (ducks and runs for cover)

Same for cameras, I wish there was more coverage higher up, but that's always been an issue in all broadcasts. I think there's still more track coverage than before, and room for improvement, but not any worse than before. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt that things will continue to improve as we move forward.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
FACK! No Kade.

can we not just send him down anyway for entertainments sake?

[EDIT he's in... it's top 60 going through to semis]
Theo Engerbackflippensten also made the cut

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Shite about Nina. she's been looking faster and faster and super confident on the bike recently

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Ah, shit, I read that wrong, she will be in.

I'm like Ric McLaughlin up in this shit giving out all the wrong info

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
If Atherton waxes the field in finals it would be awesome. I wouldn't be shocked.
Sucks for Gwin and Hill, father time is a motherfucker

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Huge mens field. Can't help but to think this season will be the last for the "Old Man Also Rans" Like Adam Brayton, Dean Lucas etc. Depending on contracts of course.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Amaury placed 57th, but is protected. Does that mean he will still ride in the finals?

Do protected riders end up bumping out people in the top 30?

Ole Gregory there sitting in 30th.

Jackson and Jordan Williams both in the top ten, though I'm guessing they rode a little harder than some others, being new and unprotected?

Nice to see Luca up there again as well.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Amaury placed 57th, but is protected. Does that mean he will still ride in the finals?

Do protected riders end up bumping out people in the top 30?

Ole Gregory there sitting in 30th.

Jackson and Jordan Williams both in the top ten, though I'm guessing they rode a little harder than some others, being new and unprotected?

Nice to see Luca up there again as well.
Top 60 from qualis make it to the 1st finals. Top 30 from 1st finals make it to the final finals. Or something like that.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Huge mens field. Can't help but to think this season will be the last for the "Old Man Also Rans" Like Adam Brayton, Dean Lucas etc. Depending on contracts of course.
There were 210 names on the Mens qualifying start list.... TBF a fair chunk of them must be deluding themselves pissing away whoever's money they're spending funding their lifestyle choice erm WC racing career

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van
interesting morning in racing. random notes:

cool to finally see the juniors on screen. (ouch that showboat finish fail; gotta bring that whip back!)

not terrible coverage for a first go; they just need to throttle the CG bandwidth a bit.

holy shit rachael is back!

not the hugest aaron fanboi, but that sucks

holy damn, jackson & jordan up to big boy speed already

going to be lots of big names NOT making it to finals, which will be... interesting. methinks there will be a high attrition rate this year with people battling hard to make the big show.

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van
protected rider info:

With the addition of the semi-finals to World Cup downhill, the protected rider system has been changed to work across a weekend of racing. Firstly during qualifying riders with a season-long race number and riders ranked inside the top 20 Elite Men and 10 Elite Women in the current UCI World Cup standings (not holding season-long numbers) will be allowed through to the semi-finals as long as they pass through the start gate. At the first round the top 20 Elite Men and 10 Elite Women will be based upon the final results from the 2022 season.

If protected riders place a time that is not good enough for the top 60 Elite Men or 15 Elite Women then they will still pass through to the semi-finals but they will be added as an additional rider and not take the place of anyone who did pass the threshold to qualify.

bigquotes
Protected riders to the semi-final are:
1. riders with season long race numbers (i.e. ranked in the top 5 women elite and
the top 10 men elite of the final UCI World Cup standings of the previous season)
2. the best ranked riders from the current UCI World Cup standings, that are not
included in point 1 above, until a total of 10 women elite and 20 men elite are
reached
3. if any riders as described under 1. and 2. above do not confirm participation at an
event they will not be replaced.— UCI-4.11.014

bigquotes
For the first UCI World Cup round of the season, the top 10 women elite and the top 20 men elite of the final UCI World Cup standings of the previous season are “protected” for the semi-final.— UCI-4.11.014

bigquotes
They must start in the qualifying round but qualify automatically for the semi-final in any case. If the times of the protected riders are not among the 15 best times for women elite or the 60 best times for men elite, they shall be allowed to ride in the semi-final in addition to the 15 women elite and 60 men elite riders already qualified.— UCI-4.11.014

Once riders get to the semi-finals the protected rules change slightly to include a smaller pool of riders. For the newly added semi-finals riders ranked in the top five Elite Men and three Elite Women of the past season will be protected. For the Junior races, there will be no protected riders for finals at the first round. At the second race of the year, the top three Junior riders in the Men and Women's racing will be safe in qualifying. There is also a clause stating that if a rider announces retirement and informs the UCI before December 31 of the previous year then they will have any protected status removed.

bigquotes
Protected riders to the final are:
1. riders ranked in the top 3 women elite and top 5 men elite of the final UCI World
Cup standings of the previous season
2. men and women junior riders ranked in the top 3 of the current UCI World Cup
standings. At the first UCI World Cup round of the season there will be no
protected junior riders.
3. If a rider is announced as retired, he is not eligible anymore as protected rider.
The announcement of the retired status shall be done in writing to the UCI before
31 December of the previous year.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
Kolb and Vergier qualify 1st and 2nd... both with mustaches... I wonder if there's some magical power with that. Totally making me reconsider trimming mine or letting it grow.

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
Kolb and Vergier qualify 1st and 2nd... both with mustaches... I wonder if there's some magical power with that. Totally making me reconsider trimming mine or letting it grow.
Kolb seems like the new Troy and Vergier the modern day Sam Hill, if loris lays down his best run nobody is beating him.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
It's working fine on the android app and chromecast app. But seeing as I've just paid for the service it should also work fine on my laptop.
Yeah agreed! I can now NOT stream from phone to Chromecast. WTF? But it does work if I download the app to the Chromecast. As someone in IT, this is not acceptable. But also as someone in Telecom, this is what they do. Get money first. Work out service later. Wait for disputes.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
man, tomorrow is going to be brutal on the riders. Two race-pace runs in a day?! ooof. And it's not like you can slack off in semis, since you need to do better than 50% of your competition (unless you're top 3 woman or top 5 male). I hope they eat their pasta tonight!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
There were 210 names on the Mens qualifying start list.... TBF a fair chunk of them must be deluding themselves pissing away whoever's money they're spending funding their lifestyle choice erm WC racing career

It is just daddy's money. And if you already plan on summering at resorts it isn't that much more effort.

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van
going to assume the indicated broadcast times on the gcn site are event location specific (ie, cest in this case). missing the redbull auto timezone conversion so i don't have to google the spread / do the math to plan my viewing schedule. it's the little things, hey? that said, actually locating live RB feed could be a pita at times. at least the gcn site layout is deal simple.