Quantcast

Are these the all mountain bikes of the future? Discuss

jamesw77

Chimp
Dec 14, 2010
I agree dropmachine - It is purely a marketing gimmick aimed at people who don't like climbing and think that a change in hardware is going to make a lot of difference. Climbing is always going to be hard work regardless of what bike you have - unless you are riding up the mountain in a chairlift :).

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Why do I get the feeling that people are missing the point that the C'dale is adjustable on the fly, and that's why it's cool?
I think people are arguing that A) cannondale has a lot of ideas, and not all of them are good, B) proprietary stuff is generally bad, and C) the adjustability isn't a bad thing, but somebody else came up with it first.

I find that with crap like this, a 5" trail bike with a lockout/propedal switch and travel adjust fork would allow you to do everything you can on this bike with less weight. I found my Fuel EX to be remarkably capable doing lift assisted riding after XCing for the entire day before. It's no DH or mini DH bike, but the concept is there.

waterdogs

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Upstate SC
Now I do agree it's a marketing thing, BUT innovation today whether you think the innovation is valid or not is why we are where we are with DH bikes. Just do a search on youtube for DH racing from the late 80s/early 90s. What do you think someone's response was to the thought of 8 inches of travel in the rear back at that time would have been?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Why do I get the feeling that people are missing the point that the C'dale is adjustable on the fly, and that's why it's cool? There are a lot of adjustable bikes out there, and a lot of things you can do to adjust even non-adjustable bikes, but very few are capable of such dramatic changes at the flip of a switch. Heck, I'd love to have handlebar remotes for my ProPedal and TALAS, but that still doesn't adjust things as much as the OM Cannondales.
I wouldn't care if I was still living in the PNW, but living in Colorado there's a lot more usage for such flexibility on the fly.
Because people know that C-dale bikes also offer a different kind of flexibility if you weight anything over 140lbs. Their AM bikes now are closer to a gloryfied XC rides than do it alls. At least it was like it 2 years ago and some of their ideas are still here. Prophet was the way to go.

fluider

Monkey
Jun 25, 2008
Bratislava, Slovakia
The only thing I find innovative in these 2 bikes and they have it in common is CF mainframe. Everything else is just to justify the must of being it a single pivot (due tu rigid US market). These two are way tooooo proud that they asked DW or SC or anybody else for some kind of cooperation. Instead, they will insist in repeating their stories how awesome their designs are and how many hundreds of man hours they invested in it.
I'm not surprised about C' in this, but I'm surprised that Scott focused on money in US market rather than some progression in all other markets.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I'm surprised nobody noticed how they designed their entire linkage around allowing you to use a water bottle. yay?

Also, I think "the bike of the future" will have a gearbox...

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
My favourite speal about the cannondale is the "use of classified military carbon - every kilo must be accounted for"

:rofl:
I missed that. That's hilarious. Almost every company that makes composites uses a proprietary process, I guess if they use it on a spy satellite or F-22 is suddenly "Classified".

So many bike companies throw around "areospace" grade BS too. Like "aerospace grade aluminum!". Its also beer can aluminum...come to think of it that might sell them more bikes.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
so, my understanding is that this is not like the Bionicon in that the fork is not connected to the switch that alters the shock's attitude. If that is the case, how is this different from the "itch-switch"-shock from Fox that came on my 2003 Specialized Enduro? Maybe the accompanying change in geometry?

I don't really want to bag on this bike since I haven't seen it, or ridden it. If they were able to take an existing concept and improve on it, well then, all the power to them. I just wish they would quit it with their crummy jargon... over-mountain? really? :rolleyes: You'd think they'd learned their lesson with the whole "freeride" fiasco... :thumbsdown:

Oh, and I still think the Enduro is a solid "all-mountain" performer. There's enough pictures of them floating around the ether-net that I won't post one up here, but I will say that when I rented one of the '10 models from Evolution to ride Comfortably Numb in Whistler, I was amazed at how well it climbed, and how much fun it was bombing back down on it. No shock-gimmickry (not anymore anyways) and a solid fork on the front and it's kick-@ss. I'm now saving my pennies for a carbon frame!

Last edited:

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
Oh, and I still think the Enduro is a solid "all-mountain" performer. There's enough pictures of them floating around the ether-net that I won't post one up here, but I will say that when I rented one of the '10 models from Evolution to ride Comfortably Numb in Whistler, I was amazed at how well it climbed, and how much fun it was bombing back down on it. No shock-gimmickry (not anymore anyways) and a solid fork on the front and it's kick-@ss. I'm now saving my pennies for a carbon frame!
Oh go on then:D

28lbs and a sub 66 degree HA with a Lyrik/36...

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
so, my understanding is that this is not like the Bionicon in that the fork is not connected to the switch that alters the shock's attitude. If that is the case, how is this different from the "itch-switch"-shock from Fox that came on my 2003 Specialized Enduro? Maybe the accompanying change in geometry?

I don't really want to bag on this bike since I haven't seen it, or ridden it. If they were able to take an existing concept and improve on it, well then, all the power to them. I just wish they would quit it with their crummy jargon... over-mountain? really? :rolleyes: You'd think they'd learned their lesson with the whole "freeride" fiasco... :thumbsdown:

Why no one mentioned that biocon DC fork has a 9mm axle? Saw it when I was in Munich on some expo and all the hype was lost for me.

So many bike companies throw around "areospace" grade BS too. Like "aerospace grade aluminum!". Its also beer can aluminum...come to think of it that might sell them more bikes.
Well that seems to work for trek ;)

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
Because people know that C-dale bikes also offer a different kind of flexibility if you weight anything over 140lbs. Their AM bikes now are closer to a gloryfied XC rides than do it alls. At least it was like it 2 years ago and some of their ideas are still here. Prophet was the way to go.
so you think peter denk goes to cannondale and the first thing he gets to hear is: "build the bike you want, but it needs to flex on everybody over 140lbs!"?

this bike is a newer version of the ransom in the first place, build by another company...

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
Mountain Bike Mag review.

Skinny: A Revamped Jekyll and All-New Claymore

After a week of showing its top dealers the 2011 line in Park City, Utah, Cannondale let members of the media get a sneak peek and short ride on its latest greatest. The highlight of the launch was easily Cannondale's redesigned Jekyll and new-for-2011 Claymore. At the heart of the both bikes is an all-new Fox pull shock with dual travel modes: Elevate and Flow, both of which are activated on the fly by a bar-mounted lever. The Jekyll is a 90/150mm travel trail bike while the Claymore is 110/180mm all-mountain beast. When in Elevate mode sag is reduced by about 40 percent for steeper angles and a more efficient climbing position. Flow mode reveals slack angles and a lower bottom bracket height for downhill ripping.

A dual-travel pull shock is not a new concept - Scott has used a DT Swiss made pull shock for a few seasons now on its Genius. The Jekyll and Claymore both use the Fox DYAD-RT2 - a somewhat complex structure that took the suspension company a while to figure out. Here's how it works: the two chambers responsible for the variable travel both house their own shim-damped valve. Instead of positioning the valves on the piston like a traditional shock, the valves are fixed in the shock body and the piston becomes more of a pump that pushes the oil through the valves. Behind the valves in each chamber is a floating piston that separates the oil from the positive air chambers. The air chambers are connected and aired simultaneously via a port that isolates each chamber upon pump disconnect. Negative air spring pressure is manually adjustable. As the remote lever is activated a plunger like assembly changes the oil passageways directing the flow through either the Flow or Elevate valve assembly - never both at the same time. This is important because it means you can have different valving and externally adjustable rebound setting for each mode without it affecting the other (Scott's shock design requires rebound settings on each chamber be the same for the best results). The air springs are another story because only one is used in Elevate mode, but both are shared at the same time in Flow mode.

The shock is only half of the story though. Four of the six Jekyll frames are made of carbon, while two are made with its Smartformed aluminum as are all the Claymore models.

The carbon Jekyll frame uses a combination of IMP and tube-to-tube construction methods to come up with a frame that weighs only 2060 grams with shock - that's impressive when you take into account the shock's 560-gram heft. As little as they weigh, stiffness was a big priority, so Cannondale utilizes double row bearings at the dropout pivots and wide stance bearing placement at the linkage pivots. Plus, the Jekyll's 15mm pivot axles are clamped by the linkage creating a closed structure that Cannondale says is more rigid than link housed bearings with axles attached to the frame. Durability comes in the form of BallisTec carbon - a military grade carbon that withstands double the elongation of high modulus carbon before it cracks, according to Cannondale. This impact resistant material is strategically placed in areas of the frame that are more likely to see rock strikes and other impacts. BallisTec carbon is highly guarded - so much so that Cannondale must document the use of every kilogram to show the maker it's not getting in enemy hands.

The aluminum version of the Jekyll should still be pretty light since its frame is claimed to be only 150-200 grams heavier than the carbon frames. Its link is aluminum too and only eight grams heavier than its carbon counterpart thanks to a hollow welded clamshell design. Other frame features include a 1.5 SI headtube, 142X12mm thru-axle, uninterrupted seat tube and ISCG 03 chainguide mount (Cannondale says it's lighter than ISCG 05).

THE JEKYLL RIDE

We had the opportunity to ride a pre-production Jekyll over a two-day period and experience the bike in two different scenarios. Day one consisted of relatively smooth-rolling singletrack sprinkled with rocky patches. The bike displayed an admirable range of capabilities. The light, stiff feeling frame combined with firm sporty suspension in Elevate mode made climbs quick and efficient while Flow mode revealed a plush and capable descender. But it wasn't until the next day when I hit a few lift accessed trails above the Canyons Resort that I got a real feel for the bike's capablities. Cannondale team rider Chris Van Dine showed me the fast way down causing me to ride way over my head on a few occasions. It was while riding that ragged edge that I came to appreciate the stiffness Cannondale built into the chassis because it tracks very well and responds quickly to input. Seemingly well-tuned suspension kept the rear tire planted and the bike didn't kick or step out through the rough. The combo of suspension and chassis stiffness let me make up for some bad line choices on my virgin descents at Canyons.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
so you think peter denk goes to cannondale and the first thing he gets to hear is: "build the bike you want, but it needs to flex on everybody over 140lbs!"?

this bike is a newer version of the ransom in the first place, build by another company...
I dont even know who Peter Denk is(enlighten me if you wish). What I do know is that their previous bikes (Rize , moto if I'm not wrong) were far from stiff. In my case it's not a problem my weights fluctuates between 145-155lbs but I have some heavier friends and the flex was noticably bigger than for example on lapierre bikes.
If it's like ransom it may be good, never tried it though so hard to say ;) I'm just not to trusty of C-dale reinvent the wheel philosophy.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
peter denk is a german bike designer who worked for scott before he got hired by cannondale. the ransom and the equalizer shock are some of his designs, the jekyll is a newer version of the same priniciple, also the fox shock. now it's cannondale's turn to use the design.

don't know if you understand german, there is a long video where he talks about the technology of the new design:

http://videos.mtb-news.de/videos/view/7513/h

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
I have that frame on order.
I agree dropmachine - It is purely a marketing gimmick aimed at people who don't like climbing and think that a change in hardware is going to make a lot of difference. Climbing is always going to be hard work regardless of what bike you have - unless you are riding up the mountain in a chairlift
I disagree, climbing is easy on my Ibis Mojo but if the descent is steep and rough it's not as fun as my Bullit and V10. Climbing on those bikes is considerably less fun than on the Ibis. The point of a bike like the Scott is to make climbing almost as fun as on the Ibis and descending as fun as on a DH bike. It takes the guesswork out of choosing a bike for a ride with long climbs and long, steep descents. It will also make a great Super D bike for DH oriented courses.
I find that with crap like this, a 5" trail bike with a lockout/propedal switch and travel adjust fork would allow you to do everything you can on this bike with less weight.
My Ibis fits that description perfectly and no, it can't do everything a bike with stiffer wheels, 2" more travel, slacker HA, and bigger tires can. I can ride the same trails on it but not the same way. The handling and capability of these bikes is more comparable to a DH bike than a trail bike. The bonus is that they climb almost as well as a trail bike.
I'm surprised that Scott focused its money on the US market, rather than some progression in all other markets.
That didn't happen. These bikes are very hard to get in the US and I've seen no advertising here for them. Scott has believed in their single pivot w/adjustable shock design for years now and that's the path they are progressing down. The shock on the Genius LT is a 3rd generation design and the frame is a progression of the shorter travel Genius.

fluider

Monkey
Jun 25, 2008
Bratislava, Slovakia
That didn't happen. These bikes are very hard to get in the US and I've seen no advertising here for them. Scott has believed in their single pivot w/adjustable shock design for years now and that's the path they are progressing down. The shock on the Genius LT is a 3rd generation design and the frame is a progression of the shorter travel Genius.
When Scott tried to sell their original Genius bikes in the USA they immediately were sued by Specialized, because of HorstLink pivot. That's why it's been single-pivot for 2 years or so.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
I didn't get that that's what you were referring to. I guess they're no different than any other company that makes single pivot bikes, partly to avoid infringement. Better than being a company that copies a design, then finds a way to get around paying royalties.

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
I'm all for carbon and light, fun to ride long travel trail bikes,that's about all i ride anymore...

BUT 2060g with a 560g shock is that for real???
(4.45 with shock/ 3.3 w/o shock)

If they are durable then awesome job! But i cannot possibly imagine these are going to hold up!!!

They are pushing the limits and that's cool, but hiring a designer and have him make nearly the same bike all over again is NOT innovation!

The Uber light Scotts are NOT holding up either!

I gotta hand it to Santa Cruz, they're making carbon bikes that are a little lighter and massively strong and stiff (Nomad/V 10) rather than nearly every other company making super light disposable frames.

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I'm all for carbon and light, fun to ride long travel trail bikes,that's about all i ride anymore...

BUT 2060g with a 560g shock is that for real???
(4.45 with shock/ 3.3 w/o shock)

If they are durable then awesome job! But i cannot possibly imagine these are going to hold up!!!

They are pushing the limits and that's cool, but hiring a designer and have him make nearly the same bike all over again is NOT innovation!

The Uber light Scotts are NOT holding up either!

I gotta hand it to Santa Cruz, they're making carbon bikes that are a little lighter and massively strong and stiff (Nomad/V 10) rather than nearly every other company making super light disposable frames.
That's what I was trying to say, though I'm not that good at formulating my thoughts. I know C-Dale main target group are 40+ executives that rarely ride their bikes but that's overkill. Do we really need 10kg AM bikes? I'm more than satisfied by the weight of all bike types on the market. Lets concentrate on other stuff and loose weight only when opportunity arises.

Also - wasn't the ransom heavier? I've read somewhere about 3kg with shock. 1kg differance? That would be crazy!

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
the genius lt is a sick bike, proprietary shock notwithstanding....I had a day's worth of riding on one earlier this summer, 2 pretty distinct rides, one AM fast flowing downhill style ride off the back of Sun Valley with a punchy climb in the middle, basically felt like a short travel downhill bike....then in the aft we did a xc ride with a half hour climb and a rolling descent with some pretty rocky sections, the on the fly travel adjust was really good, and I found myself using it all the time. I dunno, I think Buck's right, people don't 'get' it....these bikes can be ridden really hard, really fast downhill, but climb like a much lighter rig.....fair enough, there is deserved commentary about said companies previous records, I don't deny that, but these bikes shouldn't be written off because of that previous record....I was pretty skeptical going in, cynical reactions to typical marketing jargon, but it surprised me, pleasantly.

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
If i hadn't of just left/quit the shop i was working at, i would be able to tell you guys soon, as i had ordered myself a jekyll 1 to try for 2011 just out of curiousity, guess i will never truly know now

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
That is what Cannondale is doing with their carbon frames. They aren't that much lighter than the alloy frames but they are a whole heck of a lot stiffer.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Don't you think he was running really low air pressure for those shots? Since the shock is proprietary it would suck if it has sh*tty damping but in this day and age you'd think Scott and DT could tune a 3rd generation suspension reasonably well. At least that's what I'm gambling.