Quantcast

¿?¡!• Sat turd day •!¡?¿

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
The best - Get a know it all out on the trail for a work party. Have a trail problem that needs addressing - like a janky turn that sends people off trail. Let them wax on about the hour of benchwork and remaking of the trail they want to do.

Then walk back trail 15 feet and prune out a sagebrush plant. It allows riders to enter the turn from a different angle and no tool work is necessary.

The shit is scary - the wild variation in perception out on the landscape.

It's everywhere though. Went into an engine room to test an ammonia detector last week. While waiting for the device to do it's thing I am glancing around. I notice a 3" iron conduit for a 150hp ammonia compressor is not square and 90% of the weight was resting on a trunk of the suction header. It's like 25 ft of conduit with 75ft of 3 aught electrical cable inside, maybe 75 lbs. I unweighted the conduit from the header trunk and the whole header pivoted. 50+ yr old piping, all pitted out, with a dead-weight force on an un-supported trunk of the header. The compressors that are hooked to the piping cause the whole suction header to vibrate 24/7.

That scenario only leads to catastrophic failure of the pipe. Suction headers aren't designed to hang conduit. The operator, owners, and management don't see the piping and conduits, they just see a mass of shit hanging from the ceiling.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
these guys are so old they can't even understand how you'd have enough speed or lift to jump it. they see everything from a slowmo/low risk/pedal through it perspective.

my favorite part of my ride today was when we got to the part of they trail that was re-routed last year, ostensibly to get the ending off private property but really because it's so blown out/ledgy/janky that the general public was scared to ride it. so the new ending in flow-tacular. sometimes we ride down 1/4 mile of the flow part and push back up to the old ending. today we just powered through all the old brush and laurel thicket used to attempt to block the old trail and rode it. sometimes for a short loop we push/ride up the new flowy ending and ride back down the old one. :rofl:

@jackalope @AngryMetalsmith and @SuboptimusPrime know what i'm talking about up in wilsons. this is old vs. new yancey. old schoolhouse is...gone. :cray:
Ugh, bringing FlowEasy to the Other Pisgah. :disgust1:

Back in the day Yancey was uber gnarly. And the original exit was so freakin steep. Just a washed out chute onto the road. When I road it a few years ago it had been obviously rerouted and several times on some sections due to deep erosion. There are a lot more uphill bits along the ridge line than in the 90s.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
The best - Get a know it all out on the trail for a work party. Have a trail problem that needs addressing - like a janky turn that sends people off trail. Let them wax on about the hour of benchwork and remaking of the trail they want to do.

Then walk back trail 15 feet and prune out a sagebrush plant. It allows riders to enter the turn from a different angle and no tool work is necessary.

The shit is scary - the wild variation in perception out on the landscape.

It's everywhere though. Went into an engine room to test an ammonia detector last week. While waiting for the device to do it's thing I am glancing around. I notice a 3" iron conduit for a 150hp ammonia compressor is not square and 90% of the weight was resting on a trunk of the suction header. It's like 25 ft of conduit with 75ft of 3 aught electrical cable inside, maybe 75 lbs. I unweighted the conduit from the header trunk and the whole header pivoted. 50+ yr old piping, all pitted out, with a dead-weight force on an un-supported trunk of the header. The compressors that are hooked to the piping cause the whole suction header to vibrate 24/7.

That scenario only leads to catastrophic failure of the pipe. Suction headers aren't designed to hang conduit. The operator, owners, and management don't see the piping and conduits, they just see a mass of shit hanging from the ceiling.
You of all people can relate to this: I show them videos of the dirtjump spots I've built. I let them know that I've built a line with 7ft tall lips that place every rider, every time at the top of the 8ft landing behind it........for 7 jumps worth without a single use of pedals and brakes.....on a hardtail. Then let them know their little singltrack with a 'difficult section' can easily be dealt with, doing exactly the kind of thing you're describing.

These idiots look no more than 3ft ahead when riding, and about 1ft ahead when standing and trying to visualize 'trail speed'

Last edited:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Ugh, bringing FlowEasy to the Other Pisgah. :disgust1:

Back in the day Yancey was uber gnarly. And the original exit was so freakin steep. Just a washed out chute onto the road. When I road it a few years ago it had been obviously rerouted and several times on some sections due to deep erosion. There are a lot more uphill bits along the ridge line than in the 90s.
it's still all good if you do the old ending. when we gonna get you up for some wilsons rides son?

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
it's still all good if you do the old ending. when we gonna get you up for some wilsons rides son?
Was just thinking about riding up there. Would love to get a couple Pisgah rides in before April 15. One being in Brevard involving time travel, butter and a cat. And Yancey with an appetizer could be a solid second ride.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Was just thinking about riding up there. Would love to get a couple Pisgah rides in before April 15. One being in Brevard involving time travel, butter and a cat. And Yancey with an appetizer could be a solid second ride.
eff brevard. there's so much in the other pisgah closer to you. it's better anyway. you know this...

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
You of all people can relate to this: I show them videos of the dirtjump spots I've built. I let them know that I've built a line with 7ft tall lips that place every rider, every time at the top of the 8ft landing behind it........for 7 jumps worth without a single use of pedals and brakes.....on a hardtail. Then let them know their little singltrack with a 'difficult section' can easily be dealt with, doing exactly the kind of thing you're describing.

These idiots look no more than 3ft ahead when riding, and about 1ft ahead when standing and trying to visualize 'trail speed'

Building big dj lines that run takes skill and dedication. Roughing in singletrack is less dedicated and still requires skillz. Even a simple thing like turn radius and how that radius changes as the trail gets faster. This is basic stuff. Most peeps don't give the process any thought nor do they come back and reflect on what worked and what didn't.

One of our trail systems has two distinct soil types - a grass / sod terrain and a lithisol(sp?) With no soil and lots of rocks - no vegetation hardly to speak of. That lithisol can't sustain a grade over 2% slope. The sod terrain can support grades up to 6-7%. Now try and tell a moron that they cant build a steep trail through lithosols. Doesnt work.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Building big dj lines that run takes skill and dedication. Roughing in singletrack is less dedicated and still requires skillz. Even a simple thing like turn radius and how that radius changes as the trail gets faster. This is basic stuff. Most peeps don't give the process any thought nor do they come back and reflect on what worked and what didn't.

One of our trail systems has two distinct soil types - a grass / sod terrain and a lithisol(sp?) With no soil and lots of rocks - no vegetation hardly to speak of. That lithisol can't sustain a grade over 2% slope. The sod terrain can support grades up to 6-7%. Now try and tell a moron that they cant build a steep trail through lithosols. Doesnt work.
We turn down volunteer trail work all the time. Most of the time it takes more time to fix than it helps.

In June we have 70 guys from the military coming for 3 weeks to help us build the track and spectator access trail for DH Worlds. That will be fun!

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Awesome, drive safe.

If there is even a slight chance that a snowflake might be spotted everything here shuts down the day before and the grocery stores get ransacked. So wish I wasn't exaggerating. When I was a kid living in PA, I can remember standing on two feet of snow, so cold the straps on my book bag froze, waiting for the school-bus.
Yeah...Gymnastics happens regardless of the weather. Honestly, the roads were fine. We had way more snow than south of us anyway. I definitely remember waiting in a snowstorm to go to school and we really didn't have snow days like we do now!