Quantcast

¿?¡!• Sat turd day •!¡?¿

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Wow, death has been an interesting presence in the last six months. They are hauling off my neighbor to the back as we speak (90, dementia, amazing life). He was a really cool old coot.
Gives one pause for reflection.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Live in Tahoe they said
If I hadn't been dealing with roof leaks, I'd actually be enjoying this.

But I have nightstands on top of nightstands, a mattress blocking a bathroom, and a corner of the house that smells like a pile of my socks after a road trip right now.

So yeah, what you said.

We're making progress on the tourist problem at least.
gondola.JPG

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Some old fart thinks the mtb trails are too rocky and rough. He's been going out there on missions to remove rocks. He's been spending hours with his pry bar, knocking rocks out of the single track. I finally confronted him today and he says the trails need to be for everyone and some trails need to be easy. I told him theres a good dirt road in the landscape which is a perfect smooth dirt experience.

The guy scoffed and said he wants to see a change in the management to make easier trails. I told him he was talking to the management and if he wanted to get involved he could do so through sanctioned trail work. Theres a trail committee he can participate in which plans and coordinates the work and its a perfect place for fired up volunteers.

I told him that we make the trails safe and fun but not easy. He could help work on the new trail project or he can use the trails the way they are. Or he can go somewhere else.

He said he is doing the work for everyone and I told him he's not doing work for everyone, its selfish and unsanctioned trail sabotage.

The dude does not understand what he is fucking with.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Some old fart thinks the mtb trails are too rocky and rough. He's been going out there on missions to remove rocks. He's been spending hours with his pry bar, knocking rocks out of the single track. I finally confronted him today and he says the trails need to be for everyone and some trails need to be easy. I told him theres a good dirt road in the landscape which is a perfect smooth dirt experience.

The guy scoffed and said he wants to see a change in the management to make easier trails. I told him he was talking to the management and if he wanted to get involved he could do so through sanctioned trail work. Theres a trail committee he can participate in which plans and coordinates the work and its a perfect place for fired up volunteers.

I told him that we make the trails safe and fun but not easy. He could help work on the new trail project or he can use the trails the way they are. Or he can go somewhere else.

He said he is doing the work for everyone and I told him he's not doing work for everyone, its selfish and unsanctioned trail sabotage.

Your handling of this was exemplary. I would have lost my shit in a totally non PC way.

Folks messing with trails happens about everywhere and about all the time. It causes me to go crosseyed.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Your handling of this was exemplary. I would have lost my shit in a totally non PC way.
I went into my yard and started a bonfire. I cut down 4 dead trees and burned them. Damn that felt good.

This guy thinks he has a right to sanitize the trails "for everyone" but thats utter bullshit he uses to pat himself on the back. We havent had to deal with a troll like this in years. Ugh

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I went into my yard and started a bonfire. I cut down 4 dead trees and burned them. Damn that felt good.

This guy thinks he has a right to sanitize the trails "for everyone" but thats utter bullshit he uses to pat himself on the back. We havent had to deal with a troll like this in years. Ugh
Who's property was he on? Get him arrested for vandalism

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

Time to build jumps over a pool full of sharks with frickin lasers on their heads.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Trespassing too then
I'll bring it up. He wants to meet me in person today. I told him only if he's friendly and listens to me. I'm gonna try and steer him into the land trust trail committee so he can tell all those people how the trails need to be smooth and rock free "for everyone".

I had to tell him the only reason he has a trail to pull rocks out of is because I built the fucking things. He doesnt have a lot of options here. I called his son and told him that his dad was a clown. Oops

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'll bring it up. He wants to meet me in person today. I told him only if he's friendly and listens to me. I'm gonna try and steer him into the land trust trail committee so he can tell all those people how the trails need to be smooth and rock free "for everyone".

I had to tell him the only reason he has a trail to pull rocks out of is because I built the fucking things. He doesnt have a lot of options here. I called his son and told him that his dad was a clown. Oops
I think you're taking the right approach, but don't rule out a proper beat down

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I ran into a guy building an awkwardly shaped, buck-tastic lip on one of our trails a few years ago that was already a fall away stepdown off a road grade with a very specific sweet spot landing between two trees. I made him tear it down in front of me and threated to beat his ass with his own tools if he didn't.

there was another incident with a shovel and an xc helmet that was two pieces of helmet afterwards

it's always amazed me how people begin to think something is 'their' trail just because they ride it.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I ran into a guy building an awkwardly shaped, buck-tastic lip on one of our trails a few years ago that was already a fall away stepdown off a road grade with a very specific sweet spot landing between two trees. I made him tear it down in front of me and threated to beat his ass with his own tools if he didn't.

there was another incident with a shovel and an xc helmet that was two pieces of helmet afterwards

it's always amazed me how people begin to think something is 'their' trail just because they ride it.
"These trails have always been here and I never see anyone out working on them so they must not be managed"

I told him that unsanctioned trail wreckers are loathed by the community and if he keeps it up he's gonna get a nickname and he won't like it. The guy is South African and I already picked out bergie for him. His days of rogue action are numbered.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
"These trails have always been here and I never see anyone out working on them so they must not be managed"

I told him that unsanctioned trail wreckers are loathed by the community and if he keeps it up he's gonna get a nickname and he won't like it. The guy is South African and I already picked out bergie for him. His days of rogue action are numbered.
there's an older dude who we know neutered a fun loop on the trail system i dig at, which is specifically the one local trail known for being all handcut, technical, and somewhat challenging. never caught him. but know it was him and LOATHE him.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I feel obligated to confess that I've done trailwork that someone may consider 'dumbing down'

It always involved putting together a line that needed like 100ft more of just one section. Like move this dumb tight turn around a tree and then you can gap a 30ft depression and downside a rock face kind of thing. Of course no one else ever thinks that long so I've had trail work I've done get called neutering, only because there was nothing challenging about it and there was a much bigger picture at play.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
I feel obligated to confess that I've done trailwork that someone may consider 'dumbing down'

It always involved putting together a line that needed like 100ft more of just one section. Like move this dumb tight turn around a tree and then you can gap a 30ft depression and downside a rock face kind of thing. Of course no one else ever thinks that long so I've had trail work I've done get called neutering, only because there was nothing challenging about it and there was a much bigger picture at play.
was just talking with a guy on our ride today about how he opened up a rock jump/gap line on a local trail the other day and the old dude who does maintenance out there came by and just couldn't comprehend what he was doing :rofl:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
was just talking with a guy on our ride today about how he opened up a rock jump/gap line on a local trail the other day and the old dude who does maintenance out there came by and just couldn't comprehend what he was doing :rofl:
A very very VERY familiar discussion I've had to have numerous times......

It's as bad as showing someone some natural line that involves being pinned and having some natural gap or floaty bit then they come back and build a dumb lip where none was needed, and now just bucks the shit out of anyone moving at speed.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
A very very VERY familiar discussion I've had to have numerous times......

It's as bad as showing someone some natural line that involves being pinned and having some natural gap or floaty bit then they come back and build a dumb lip where none was needed, and now just bucks the shit out of anyone moving at speed.
these guys are so old they can't even understand how you'd have enough speed or lift to jump it. they see everything from a slowmo/low risk/pedal through it perspective.

my favorite part of my ride today was when we got to the part of they trail that was re-routed last year, ostensibly to get the ending off private property but really because it's so blown out/ledgy/janky that the general public was scared to ride it. so the new ending in flow-tacular. sometimes we ride down 1/4 mile of the flow part and push back up to the old ending. today we just powered through all the old brush and laurel thicket used to attempt to block the old trail and rode it. sometimes for a short loop we push/ride up the new flowy ending and ride back down the old one. :rofl:

@jackalope @AngryMetalsmith and @SuboptimusPrime know what i'm talking about up in wilsons. this is old vs. new yancey. old schoolhouse is...gone. :cray: