Quantcast

yeti 303 rdh stolen in denver.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
any help in recovery would be appreciated!

the bike was built as follows:
2009 yeti 303 rdh frame - large - Black
2010 fox rc4 rear shock w/ 400# spring
2009 fox 40 rc2 lowers, cable rub on crown, scratches on lowers, grey lowers
cane creek 100 black headset
straitline integrated stem. red.
spank spike 777 chrome handlebars
spank lock-on grips
Hope mini m4 brakes 203mm front, 183mm rear floating rotors
shimano saint shifter 9spd
thomson 410mm seatpost black
yeti / sdg ti-fly c saddle
salsa quick release seatpost clamp - black
e13 lg1+ chainguide
truvativ holzfeller cranks
salsa 36t chainring
wellgo black pedals
sram pc991 chain
sram 970 dh cassette 11-26
shimano dura-ace rear derailleur
sun ringle add wheelset black hubs, black spokes, white rims
intense 909 FRO lite 2.35 tires

thanks if anyone sees it. not holding my breath, but you never know!

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
no, even worse.

someone came by to buy it, and did the test ride and never come back. i was standing in the street watching. and as he rounded the corner thought *that isnt right...* and by the time i got there, no sign at all... more ballsy that i could ever expect, but executed to the point that i gotta think this was not the first time.

i certainly know better, and feel like a fool. lesson learned.

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
a note to users ALWAYS take some sort of collateral when someone is test riding your bike. a wallet with id and a credit card is by far the best way to go. if they dont have it with them, they dont get to test ride my bike.

schemes like this aren't new, they have been going on for years, i remember a terrible story about some guy that was paralyzed while riding his bike and then when he came to sell it the same thing happend to him.

best of luck to you in getting your bike back

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
I am usually worried about people seeing my garage and deciding to tell a friend to come rob me at a later date. So when I have people meet at my house for selling stuff I keep my garage closed until I get a feel for the person. It also helps because their car is in my driveway.

But damn, that is crazy. Do you have the serial number? Report it to the cops and post it on the Front Range forums on mtbr so locals keep an eye out. But it sounds like this wasn't the first time this guy has tried this, sh!ty.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
That sucks! I'll keep an eye out for it.

Wow, the nerve of some people- stealing it during a test ride. I'll have to keep that in mind next time I sell a bike.

illnotsick

Monkey
Jun 3, 2009
Do you have a phone number, email address, forum handle or anything from him contacting you for the sale? If you have anything like that, that is a place to start.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
Was this the first time you sell a bike?

I hope you find the muhfawker and get your bike back!
nah man, i certainly know better, and definatlly can't get how things should have been handled differently out of my head, but so it goes.

thanks for the words all, appreciate it. hopefully it will pop up somehow.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
just got this email:

hey, my name is Jeremy and the guy you just posted about contacted me yesterday about my Yeti 575 for sale on clist. I told him if he wanted to ride the bike he should bring his Drivers License and a credit card and I would hold his car keys while he had the bike, Needless to say he never showed up.

I don' tknow if this is at all helpful but if you have someone from the Denver police willing to actively try catching the guy we could possibly try getting him back on the hook for my bike, if I haven't scared him totally off already. I have had trouble in the past getting the Denver police interested in actually solving these kinds of crimes. Bikes seem pretty low priority.

Good luck, Jeremy

from a posting i put on craigslist. i need to organize a few stings, and see what i can do...

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Here is the info from that phone number.

Diana Dominguez

Background Report

Relatives:
Leonel Dominguez
Silvya Dominguez
Adriana Dominguez

2101 S Spring St
Ukiah, CA 95482

Property Report
Phone Type: Cellular
Carrier: New Cingular Wireless Pcs Llc
Time Zone: 12:36 PM PST
County: Mendocino
Average Income: $36,322
Average Home Value: $164,300

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
interesting thanks rufus! definately was a white motocross looking 25-ish year old.

strange things afoot, at the circle-k

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
i would also like to add BIG UPS to phil at yeti for taking the time to track down my serial number. he went through the reciepts for the day i bought and tracked it down.

i had the serial # written on my reciept from them and of course could not find the reciept anywhere in my filing cabinet.

big big ups to phil and yeti. awesome dudes there. thanks!

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
the cops have had more than 10 bikes of this grade ripped off in the last week or two in similar manners. they are arranging a sting themselves. fingers crossed.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
also, to the inventor types.

please design a GPS Chip that can be installed into the seatpost or BB area so you can just instantly track the bike.

will pay $$$.

thanks.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Sorry about your loss!

But nothing to invent, only to implement in your city!

See e.g. http://londonbikers.com/articles/4410/stolen-bike-trackers

BTW: I thought one of the roadie bike companies was doing this as a standard on their expensive carbon frames, can't remember who though. :(

please design a GPS Chip that can be installed into the seatpost or BB area so you can just instantly track the bike.

will pay $$$.

thanks.

Beast

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Where the riding is good

will pay $$$.

thanks.
GPS requires power unfortunately, so unless you want to plug your bike in every night don't count on it any time soon. Also need to see the sky, so you wouldn't be able to hide it in the frame.

Check these links out:
http://www.baitbike.com/Security_For_Your_Bike.html
http://www.gundogsupply.com/tracker-classic-supra-lite-1-dog-217.html
http://www.csilocator.com/

Radio tracking would be better than nothing, but you're limited to ~1 mile.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
big big big big ups to denver pd.

getting my bike back, and looking at a lineup in the next day or two. hopefully to put this ****er away.

so stoked i didn't report to insurance

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Cool - I had the same thing happen to me but had a lot more info on the guy and his friend and the cops got him within a couple of hours after I contacted them.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
Wow...your saga is infinitely better than mine! Had mine stolen 6 weeks ago...no sign of it or of any sort of insurance money. Good job on getting it back!