Quantcast

Will Avid bleed kit fit Formulas?

Killerbarbies

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
Slovakia
I have just got some Formula K24s to replace my Codes...I still have the Avid bleed kit and before I lay down some cash for the Formula bleed kit I thought I'd ask on here if the brass Avid end screws on the syringes fit the bleed holes on Formulas?

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
I have just got some Formula K24s to replace my Codes...I still have the Avid bleed kit and before I lay down some cash for the Formula bleed kit I thought I'd ask on here if the brass Avid end screws on the syringes fit the bleed holes on Formulas?
Yeah, I used my Avid bleed kit for my K24's - worked perfectly.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
My avid bleed kit does not work with my Formula One levers. It fits the caliper fine but the brass nipple that came with the Avid kit is too short to fit on the lever.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
OG Ripper, really? Works great on my 1st gen Ones, and the new ones look like there should be even more room.

Sam B

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Cascadia
My avid bleed kit does not work with my Formula One levers. It fits the caliper fine but the brass nipple that came with the Avid kit is too short to fit on the lever.
That is the same experience I had on the "new" lighter One lever without the reach/contact dials.

Racebike

Monkey
Jul 28, 2008
Sweden
I have bled the new-gen Formula the One and the latest Formula Oro K24 with a Avid bleed kit.

The old model The One was a tight fit, but it you file down a bit of the ring (the larger diameter ring with a knurled surface on the brass fitting.) you will be able to bleed the old-gen The One as well.

But yet again, K24, no problems!

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
OG Ripper, really? Works great on my 1st gen Ones, and the new ones look like there should be even more room.
Yeah really. I have the newer-style Ones. Maybe Avid changed their kit or something - mine is probably 4 years old. The brass nipple is too short, the knurled knob hits the lever body and you can't thread it in. As Racebike said you'd have to file it down to get it to work (at the lever anyway).

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Yeah really. I have the newer-style Ones. Maybe Avid changed their kit or something - mine is probably 4 years old. The brass nipple is too short, the knurled knob hits the lever body and you can't thread it in. As Racebike said you'd have to file it down to get it to work (at the lever anyway).
Weird. Good to know though. :thumb:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
do you get a good enough seal once you file it down to make it fit in the hole?
If I follow what OGRipper's saying right, you have to file down the knurled bit that you use as a knob to thread the fitting in, so it shouldn't have any bearing on how well it seals really.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
If I follow what OGRipper's saying right, you have to file down the knurled bit that you use as a knob to thread the fitting in, so it shouldn't have any bearing on how well it seals really.
yeah looking at the new lever now, i can see how the knurled part would hit. i wasnt sure that once you file it down, the nipple would be long enough like he had mentioned.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
do you get a good enough seal once you file it down to make it fit in the hole?
I don't know, never tried it - I got a formula kit with my brakes, it was still sealed in the bag and I figured I'd see if the avid kit worked. When it didn't, I just used the formula kit instead. Theoretically it should be fine.

At least the Formula kit works with Avids.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Yes but the Sram kit is so much better. I use the Sram plungers and clamps but Formula fittings. That's my secret to perfect Ones bleeding.
The only difference is the clamps, no? I haven't found them necessary for bleeding my Ones. But yeah that sounds like a good set up. And really, all you need is one fitting for the formula lever, since the avid kit works on the formula caliper just fine.