Quantcast

Why buy Chris King?

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Pig DH Pro - 3 seasons, still going strong, and will probably get transfered to my next frame for next season.

I have no desire what-so-ever to use a King headset, granted I do ride DH and the minimal weight savings vs. the cost of a King just isn't worth it compared to the FSA.

On the other hand I love my 20mm King front hub.

It's pretty simple. King is like the exotic german engineered BMW touring models of the early 70's that never were imported to the US and to this day are still running strong with die-hard followings and clubs all over the world while some other companies (like my FSA) are pumping out quality headsets like the old Japanese autos that put the US manufacturers to shame.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Inclag said:
On the other hand I love my 20mm King front hub.
And, ironically, I can't see why people pay for King front hubs...there are others that are pretty much the same weight and cost less, and there are still others which are 9mm/20mm convertible, which everyone bags on but then laments having to build a new front wheel to use a Nixon or a Fox fork or something.

A front hub pretty much holds bearings. Even if you get a cheap one and put good bearings in when they die, you've now got a quality front hub!

The Kings do look great, though, and if you want one to match your rear in a funky color, I guess they're your only option. (Before Dh Girlie pipes up about pink...)

Anyhow, no hate on King front-hub users. You could be doing worse things with your money, and as long as I get to run what I like, you get to run what you like and I don't care a thing about it.

MD