Quantcast

Why buy Chris King?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
loco said:
It kind of is. They made the same thing as everyone else, but you have to ream the cups deeper. It voids most warranties. Good thinking King. If you didn't like integrated, don't make them.
I tried to get Seven to use a Perdido h/s, and they refused. If the ultimate in custom won't use it, who will?

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
extremely well made and durable. great service and warrantee. entirely made in the US, with very sano manufacturing processes.

4 of 6 of my rides have the headsets. 1 rear hub. is the hub that much better for the money? dunno. the newest ride has a hope bulb, and it's pretty freakin' close, for far less money.

better or worse gets into that whole grey area of perceived value differing for each person.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
the Inbred said:
you must ride where it's really dry
You're funny. I live in Rochester NY and ride all 4 seasons. Both outside bearings are original. Only the ring drive (needle bearings) has been replaced. ha ha ha.....

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
Spitfired said:
What I'm trying to say is that even the crappyest, cheapest headset will work fine.
Sorry, you've been riding since 2002, your inexperience is showing. Those who've got a lot more trail miles under their tires will tell you different. A headset is one of the last places you want a cheap, crappy part.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
loco said:
It kind of is. They made the same thing as everyone else, but you have to ream the cups deeper. It voids most warranties. Good thinking King. If you didn't like integrated, don't make them.
Ah, actually, the Perdido standard is slightly larger in diameter than Zero Stack, not deeper (though it's a little deeper too, I believe - but reaming headtubes deeper to accomidate a certain headset is common practice).

It's not intended to be put into ZS headtubes - I can't imagine why someone would actually remove material from their headtube just to run a Perdido headset.

Flopped standard, though. BCD was putting it in his DH frames for a while, and I believe some other little company was spec'ing them, but that's about it.

sanjuro, Seven doesn't custom draw their tubes, they just have custom lengths and different butting profiles, so I'm sure they simply didn't have a headtube that was the correct size for the Perdido standard.

None of that, of course, has any bearing on the original topic, which gets asked all the time, and it simply boils down to paying for quality, even if it's incremental. Why would you buy an Evil Sovereign frame @ $800, when a .243 can be had for $450? Because it's better. Not twice as good, just better.

lucky13

Chimp
Jun 3, 2005
Seattle, WA
Well, here goes for my first post here,..

CK for life. Boycott FSA. I'll keep spending my money on companies that far surpass standards of quality, fair trade, and enviornmental standards. It all costs something. And if I can knowledgably avoid bad buisness practices, I will. Wall-mart? You sir, are the devil. So is Doug Stuart CEO of FSA. Then again I'm not above reproach,...

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
lucky13 said:
CK for life. Boycott FSA. You sir, are the devil. So is Doug Stuart CEO of FSA. Then again I'm not above reproach,...
Why?
Bad C.S. Experience or does he promote child labor in 3rd world countries or something?

Just Curious.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
lucky13 said:
Well, here goes for my first post here,..

CK for life. Boycott FSA. I'll keep spending my money on companies that far surpass standards of quality, fair trade, and enviornmental standards. It all costs something. And if I can knowledgably avoid bad buisness practices, I will. Wall-mart? You sir, are the devil. So is Doug Stuart CEO of FSA. Then again I'm not above reproach,...
My team was sponsered by FSA last year and we did have some issuses with back orders, but that's not really uncommon in the bike industry. Why is Doug the devil?

J

JRB

Snacks said:
My team was sponsered by FSA last year and we did have some issuses with back orders, but that's not really uncommon in the bike industry. Why is Doug the devil?
I don't know about team stuff, but I think King is exactly that of the backorders. I can't think of anything in their line that hasn't been back ordered at one time or another.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
Just to offset everyone's ancidotal evidence, I still have the original house-brand headset on my '94 Kona Lava Dome. I re-greased it often and always made sure it was snug and it still works just fine.

So I guess I'm one of the people that don't see any advantage to paying that kind of money for a headset.

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
pixelninja said:
Just to offset everyone's ancidotal evidence, I still have the original house-brand headset on my '94 Kona Lava Dome. I re-greased it often and always made sure it was snug and it still works just fine.

So I guess I'm one of the people that don't see any advantage to paying that kind of money for a headset.
Here's an easy one: with a King you won't have to grease it for 5 years.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
riderx said:
I think I'll save myself the $150 and put up with the occational grease, thank you very much.

Sheesh, you must be one lazy s.o.b. :p

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
pixelninja said:
I think I'll save myself the $150 and put up with the occational grease, thank you very much.

Sheesh, you must be one lazy s.o.b. :p
You can regularly get King headsets for $90. Lack of greasing is only one reason to use one. But yes, I am lazy. That's why I ride a single speed. Less time working on my bike, more time riding!

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
Ridemonkey said:
I'd prefer to have one part I never have to mess with than a bag full of parts I have to spend time replacing. Time=money.

On my last 2 bikes, I used unsealed fsa pigs. On both bikes, I set up my headset, and forgot about it. (with the exception of some grease when ever I needed to remove a fork, or stem) Head sets really aren't that complicated. hmmmm $20 for a head set that works just fine, and is bullet proof, or Whatever ridiculous amount of money needed to pay for a chris king, that really is not that much more noticable when riding.

I'll take the $20 pig.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Sheesh, this is why there are so many different headsets on the market. Instead of bitching about what other people are running, be happy you found something that works for your needs and preferences...

MD

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
riderx said:
wow! thats amazing!!!! greasing your headset is sooooo difficult, I'd be stupid not to pay an extra $130 for that! seriously, in 5 years, most people will have gone through 2-3 bikes. With that, I'm sure the orginal king would have been sold with the orginal bike. Just buy a FSA and realize the extra money really isn't worth it!

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
scurban said:
wow! thats amazing!!!! greasing your headset is sooooo difficult, I'd be stupid not to pay an extra $130 for that! seriously, in 5 years, most people will have gone through 2-3 bikes. With that, I'm sure the orginal king would have been sold with the orginal bike. Just buy a FSA and realize the extra money really isn't worth it!
Your time isnt worth money? Mine is. As an independent contractor I charge 50 an hour and I'm fricken busy so I don't have time for any extra ****. Shall I calculate how much money CK saves me over the years?

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
scurban said:

A few hours of labor in some people's lives is worth a lot more than $130. Some people make a few hundred per hour, but work so damned much that they'd rather just not worry about a $50-60 extra one-time expense (A King is only $100 or so, so $130 MORE than a $30-50 headset is a pretty big exaggeration...guess these people might also pay $20 to have it pressed for them, too, though) than have to spend the time and effort to service it, or pay to have it serviced, over the next few years.

If you've got the time and the grease and the know-how, lubing your headset isn't a big deal. Again...it's what you're into.

But the poor always look at the rich and think "wankers!" and the rich always look at the poor and say "unrefined heathens!"

MD

Ridemonkey

Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
MikeD said:
But the poor always look at the rich and think "wankers!" and the rich always look at the poor and say "unrefined heathens!"

MD
I'm middle class and don't give a ****. I just hate these blanket statements about how something MUST be a certain way and any other way is stoopid.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Ridemonkey said:
I'm middle class and don't give a ****. I just hate these blanket statements about how something MUST be a certain way and any other way is stoopid.
Yep. And even if a King is a huge stretch for you (the generic 'you') to buy, you're still justified in buying it if you want it! Maybe you like the company's policies, maybe you like the color, maybe you hate lubing headsets (I sure do when I'm running a dual-crown fork!), or maybe you just love owning quality, precision-made, beautiful things.

MD

J

JRB

MikeD said:
Yep. And even if a King is a huge stretch for you (the generic 'you') to buy, you're still justified in buying it if you want it! Maybe you like the company's policies, maybe you like the color, maybe you hate lubing headsets (I sure do when I'm running a dual-crown fork!), or maybe you just love owning quality, precision-made, beautiful things.

MD
You forgot "trying to fit in". :D

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
Ridemonkey said:
50 an hour is nothing. You ever hired a plumber? Or anybody to do anything to your house? Ever hired a photographer? Ever hired anybody?

Yes...hookers! :D hahahaha! I was just kidding...trying to make light of the sitcheeeashun...I'm not TOO too far behind you on my mundane gov't worker job...even more if you add in the benefits...

Ridemonkey

Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
MikeD said:

MD
Sure. Use KY and duct tape if thats what you like. But don't worry so much about what other folks are doing. It's the democratic way :D

J

JRB

dh girlie said:
Yes...hookers! :D hahahaha! I was just kidding...trying to make light of the sitcheeeashun...I'm not TOO too far behind you on my mundane gov't worker job...even more if you add in the benefits...
Things must be really 'sunny' there.