Quantcast

Why buy Chris King?

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
dh girlie said:
SEE?!?!?!? SEE?!?!?!? Apply my rum raisin ice cream theory!!! it'll work here too!
Stop bringing up rum raisin ice cream. It's revolting, and no one should EVER eat it.

MD

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I've owned 3 bikes since 1992 and replaced exactly *one* headset. I replaced it with some ~$20 Shimano thing (I think) and went on about my business.

I'd rather spend my money on gas getting to a ride. :D

-S.S.-

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
dh girlie said:
You're just jealous that you didn't come up with the brilliant RRIC theory...it knocks you off your high horse every time you start spoutin off about what you like is good and what you don't like sucks...HAHAHAHA! :D

Man...it's only 8:40 and I'm already on fire! hehehehe!
Didn't Laura come up with the RRIC theory?

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
SkaredShtles said:
I've owned 3 bikes since 1992 and replaced exactly *one* headset. I replaced it with some ~$20 Shimano thing (I think) and went on about my business.

I'd rather spend my money on gas getting to a ride. :D

-S.S.-

How are gas prices doing there? I saw gas yesterday for only $2.33...and the station was PACKED...hell I even got in line to top off my tank with a coupla gallons! :thumb:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
dh girlie said:
NO!!!! I did! Quit trying to get rid of me by goading me into searching for hours for proof that I was the originator of the famous RRIC theory...Laura does support the rric theory, though...
Plagiarism is a serious crime.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Westy said:
Plagiarism is a serious crime.
I'd hate to be on trial for plagarism and see you on the jury.

Milkmen creep me out. At least they do now.

MD

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
dh girlie said:
Did you see the episode of the Chappelles show where he was the milk man...HAHAHAHA!
heh...yep. Good stuff.

Edit: Makes me think of a few good custom titles for Westy, none of which could actually be posted on the board.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
I bought a Chris King once, and one of my friends laughed at me, and said that I should have just bought a Pig for $20. Well, the Chris King has never given me any problems...as for the Pig, same deal, never given him any problems...he was right! :mumble:

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Next time someone (besides me) says something bad about rum raisin (or any other flavor) ice cream, I'm going to regale them with the "Chris King Headset Theory" or the "Hope/Hayes Brake Theory." Or, rather, analogies.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
MikeD said:
Next time someone (besides me) says something bad about rum raisin (or any other flavor) ice cream, I'm going to regale them with the "Chris King Headset Theory" or the "Hope/Hayes Brake Theory." Or, rather, analogies.
that's great...it's a good idea...I just used ice cream as an example to show how silly it was to get so worked up over someone elses choice in music...on that note...I hope narlus is reading this because I have some news for him...

I am going to see Social D TWO times in one week...doing a road trip with a friend next week to UC Davis to see em...and then going to a festival show on Friday to see em...

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
scurban said:
wow! thats amazing!!!! greasing your headset is sooooo difficult, I'd be stupid not to pay an extra $130 for that! seriously, in 5 years, most people will have gone through 2-3 bikes. With that, I'm sure the orginal king would have been sold with the orginal bike. Just buy a FSA and realize the extra money really isn't worth it!
What's amazing is your math skills. How will a $90 headset cost me an extra $130??? Greasing my headset isnt' difficult, but I'd rather spend my maintenance time on other things that take more skill like building wheels.

And anyone who has a King headset knows it doesn't go with the frame (except for that 1 inch one I sold with a frame because I didn't need that size). A King headset will last the a hardest rider 10 years and still keep going. Do the math and you'll see it's worth it. Beside the maintenance free aspect of it. The first time I bought one it was hard to justify. Once you own one you see the value.

But hey, if you are happy w/ FSA, ride it. I don't care if no one else buys King.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
the Inbred said:
i saw an 17cent variance yesterday. $1.91 at a Shell on the south side, $2.08 a few blocks from campus at Chevron.
I haven't seen a gallon of gas for $1.91 in a few years in Southern California. Right now, the best price around my house is $2.25...

slowSSer

mnoeky
Aug 14, 2002
Stepford
why? the headsets are the best. I have one that's over 10 years old and still as smooth as the day it was new. all bikes have em in my stable.

as for the hubs, because the buzz is a sign of quality (3rd king wheelset just got built and installed)

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
slowSSer said:
why? the headsets are the best. I have one that's over 10 years old and still as smooth as the day it was new. all bikes have em in my stable.

as for the hubs, because the buzz is a sign of quality (3rd king wheelset just got built and installed)
There is no sound like that of a ck hub...man...not even a baby's laughter will warm my heart as much as the sound of a ck hub! :D

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
dh girlie said:
There is no sound like that of a ck hub...man...not even a baby's laughter will warm my heart as much as the sound of a ck hub! :D

I've started using 20 wt oil in my CK hubs and it makes the sound downright sexy, a much lower growling sound.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Westy said:
I've started using 20 wt oil in my CK hubs and it makes the sound downright sexy, a much lower growling sound.
I put a giant dual-tip chrome exhaust on my Hadley, and now it sounds swwweeeeeet. Great exhaust note. I think I'll lower my suspension next, and maybe get a tint job.

MD

slowSSer

mnoeky
Aug 14, 2002
Stepford
dh girlie said:

and the benefit is that hikers can hear you coming!

buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

edit: sorry to re-rail this post. gas prices? ice cream theory? jeebus.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
MikeD said:
I put a giant dual-tip chrome exhaust on my Hadley, and now it sounds swwweeeeeet. Great exhaust note. I think I'll lower my suspension next, and maybe get a tint job.

MD
I've modified My Nightrider Blowtorch into a groud effects lighting system. I can't see where I'm going at night but I look damn good running into things.

slowSSer

mnoeky
Aug 14, 2002
Stepford
Westy said:
I've modified My Nightrider Blowtorch into a groud effects lighting system. I can't see where I'm going at night but I look damn good running into things.

LOL! thanks for the laugh. now i can just explain to my coworkers why that's funny (none of the MTB peeps are in today. damn!)

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
MikeD said:
A few hours of labor in some people's lives is worth a lot more than $130. Some people make a few hundred per hour, but work so damned much that they'd rather just not worry about a $50-60 extra one-time expense (A King is only $100 or so, so $130 MORE than a $30-50 headset is a pretty big exaggeration...guess these people might also pay $20 to have it pressed for them, too, though) than have to spend the time and effort to service it, or pay to have it serviced, over the next few years.

If you've got the time and the grease and the know-how, lubing your headset isn't a big deal. Again...it's what you're into.

But the poor always look at the rich and think "wankers!" and the rich always look at the poor and say "unrefined heathens!"

MD

Well, I work 50 sometimes 60 hour weeks, I am doing just fine financially, and I still don't think Chris kings are worth the money.

I press my own headsets, lace my own wheels, and wouldn't think of having some kid down at the shop touch my bike.

Then again richest people are always the cheapest.

I'm not rich yet, but I will be by the time I'm 30.

King's just aren't worth the money.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Well, I guess that proves it. Everyone else is an idiot, and you're tons ****ing better.

Thread over, I suppose.

MD

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
scurban said:
Well, I work 50 sometimes 60 hour weeks, I am doing just fine financially, and I still don't think Chris kings are worth the money.

I press my own headsets, lace my own wheels, and wouldn't think of having some kid down at the shop touch my bike.

Then again richest people are always the cheapest.

I'm not rich yet, but I will be by the time I'm 30.

King's just aren't worth the money.

Where's that ignore feature?

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
It's only $69 for a Ti spindle? I thought they were a lot more than that, actually.

Oh, and a serious note on a King...it costs $100 and regardless of age, you can sell it for $50 EASY, $60-70 if you're willing to wait. Compared with a $20-50 headset that you can't really re-sell, you can get several frames' worth of riding with no maintenance at only a $50 max. cost to you in the end. Not too shabby. But if you don't have $100 up front, well, then the cheap ones work really well, too.

MD