Quantcast

What's your favorite

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
My Banshee Legend - most trouble free frame you can think off
Chunked Stemcrown - loose weight, gain stiffness and durability. What's not to like?
Maxxis 42a tires
Avy cart
Mavic 823's - because they after the WW3 the only things left standing will be cockroaches and 823's
Goodridge brake hoses - saved me from ripping my hose off a few times
Straitline Silent Guide - most hassle free, easy to setup, durable guide that weights as much as an lg1+
Dartmoor rider rims - surprisingly durable given the weight and cost. No issues with smashing them.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
ODI ruffians
Easton Flatboys
Saint brakes and cranks
Alex Supra D rims (though keen to try the Mavic 823)
Minion DHFs SRY, Kenda Nevegal Stick-Es
I-beam posts and seats.
Durace/XTR chains with Wipperman connectors.

Hardly anything boutique on my list, just stuff I've found through trial and error that just lasts and doesn't screw up on me.

Aug 25, 2011
West Milford, NJ, 'MERICA
I beam posts those are great. Super easy to use. On the rental fleet at mountain creek. Super easy to work on and instal seats on! I still hold true to Thomson. I love there posts!

All in all. It's a Seatpost. There's not much difference besides weight

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
Mavic 823 and 729 rims
Point 1 Stem, pedals
saint cranks
Chromag bars
Hadley,Burgtec and DT swiss hubs
Minion DHFs 42 front wheel, Kenda Nevegal Stick-Es rear wheel

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
That pic at N* was in October and was only like a 1/2". It make the trails so ridiculously tacky. Kept all the dust down and kind of glued everything together. Plus it was pretty serene being the first ones out to ride through a little white blanket on everything.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Snow riding at platty was a lot of fun on my gazzi 3.0s with 15 psi. I was the only one with grip!

Fall riding is my favorite. Just enough bite in the air so you're not dripping with sweat.

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
not a specific component but styles of bikes that i love that i dont get to talk about much on here. Fat bikes AKA surly moonlanders ect are a ton of fun to ride, way more so than what people would think, and they dont really feel sluggish or crappy like one would imagine, if you have sand dunes around where you live its an absolute blast

fixies. yes. they. are. hip. but they are a ton of fun to ride, even more so after a couple of drinks (couple as in eight to ten) at your local pub and then go for a quick blast home on the fixie. I think i have more injuries from this then from Dh'ing

Aug 25, 2011
Snow riding at platty was a lot of fun on my gazzi 3.0s with 15 psi. I was the only one with grip!

Fall riding is my favorite. Just enough bite in the air so you're not dripping with sweat.
Ha! Ya at platty you run your tires almost nothing in the snow! I remember it was still snowing when they opened. We carved down giant latches left from ski season!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
not a specific component but styles of bikes that i love that i dont get to talk about much on here. Fat bikes AKA surly moonlanders ect are a ton of fun to ride, way more so than what people would think, and they dont really feel sluggish or crappy like one would imagine, if you have sand dunes around where you live its an absolute blast
i've been curious to try one for winter riding. i've got an old bike built up with some old fatty dh tires, but only like 2.8's, cuz that's what would fit.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Gravity Dropper
Maxxis Minion DHF 3C 2.5 2ply and single ply
Maxxis Ultra Lite tubes
HammerSchmidt
the old Hayes Mags in black
Industry Nine wheelset with EN or AM rims
Thomson seat post if Im not running a Gravity Dropper
WTB Rocket V ti seat

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Gravity Dropper
Maxxis Minion DHF 3C 2.5 2ply and single ply
Maxxis Ultra Lite tubes
HammerSchmidt
the old Hayes Mags in black
Industry Nine wheelset with EN or AM rims
Thomson seat post if Im not running a Gravity Dropper
WTB Rocket V ti seat
Really? I've taken mine out a couple of times and they haven't been that bad, but I'd love to try them with real pads, like EBC or koolstop, rather than the generic non-stocks I have.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007

fixies. yes. they. are. hip. but they are a ton of fun to ride, even more so after a couple of drinks (couple as in eight to ten) at your local pub and then go for a quick blast home on the fixie. I think i have more injuries from this then from Dh'ing
Riding a fixie makes already makes me think like I'm drunk, why make that worse? I like less show off parts of the subculture and bike polo is awesome but I hate riding fixies. Not to mention some of the super short ones that are supposedly a thing to have now. 94cm wheelbase feels really awkward.

I love snow riding but it has to be below 0. Deep, wet and melting snow is fun but not really riding. You soon end up on your butt.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Really? I've taken mine out a couple of times and they haven't been that bad, but I'd love to try them with real pads, like EBC or koolstop, rather than the generic non-stocks I have.
The old Hayed Mags were the best brakes Ive owned. I never had to bleed them and they were bomb proof.

Aug 25, 2011
Those hayes Mags were insanely good!
I mean, they weren't anything fancy, but insanely bombproof. Set it and forget it as they say!
I blew a piston in my rear eventually. That was my only problem.
But I never needed them to bleed them, barely changed pads and never broke them!
Great brakes! I had a New Old Stock 2002? Hayes 9 laying around and threw them on my DJ machine, oldest part in my garage by far. Yet they are working strong!

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
Those hayes Mags were insanely good!
I mean, they weren't anything fancy, but insanely bombproof. Set it and forget it as they say!
I blew a piston in my rear eventually. That was my only problem.
But I never needed them to bleed them, barely changed pads and never broke them!
Great brakes! I had a New Old Stock 2002? Hayes 9 laying around and threw them on my DJ machine, oldest part in my garage by far. Yet they are working strong!
Dude I dont understand how you have ridden all these products and you only have been riding DH for 1 year. We dont need to you reply to everyones comment about how great the products are Q.

Aug 25, 2011
Dude I dont understand how you have ridden all these products and you only have been riding DH for 1 year. We dont need to you reply to everyones comment about how great the products are Q.

I've been riding DH now for about 4-5 years. I learned a lot. I keep replying to comments because I started the thread and am trying to keep it alive and spark discussion

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Mags may have been durable but they felt like ****
QFT.

As for favorites:
ODI Ruffian Lock-Ons
Shadow+ rear derailleurs
Dropper posts - Reverb and KS Lev are my faves so far
Shimano cranks
Shimano brakes
I9 hubs
Maxxis tires
WTB Silverado saddles

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
I'm actually angry now thinking back to how terrible my hayes mags were in 2003, i think i switched to avid mechanicals because they were in fact that bad, btw, avid bb7's. if i need a mech disk that's the only and best option for me.

I might be one of the few people that doesn't have a tire brand preference. I've actually had good luck with schwab, conti, maxxis, specialized, ect

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I'm actually angry now thinking back to how terrible my hayes mags were in 2003, i think i switched to avid mechanicals because they were in fact that bad, btw, avid bb7's. if i need a mech disk that's the only and best option for me.

I might be one of the few people that doesn't have a tire brand preference. I've actually had good luck with schwab, conti, maxxis, specialized, ect
lol, those are all great tire brands. Throw a Nokian in there, then discuss.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
**** nokian they can go back on my 2003 24 letoy along with those hayes mags and other heavy and terrible **** from the best days of riding ever. :rolleyes:
If you complain about nokian you never tried tioga blue dragons back in the day. Conti also claimed their tires were fr worthy when they were 600g heavy and flatted every 5 minutes.

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
Fox gloves. Nothing else I've tried fits as well and lasts as long.

5.10's. The Sam Hill shoes are way better than my original Impacts and have loads more grip than my Shimano shoes. The Shimanos are good for AM but they don't have enough grip for me when DHing.

Mavic 823's on Hope Pro 2's. Low maintenance and tough.

Wet Screams cut down for when its mucky, I find them too squirmy when they're full length. It's so much fun to ride in the mud the same as you do in the dry.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
I really loved my Shimano MP66w storm trooper shoes, and wish I could find another pair.

Also: Thomson seat posts, Schwalbe tires, my X0 9 speed derailleur that's been serving me for a few years on two different DH bikes without an issue, and Mavic rim durability. I have a silver rear Deemax wheel that's gone down pretty much two full laps of Angel Fire with a flat tire during two different Final Descent races, and its still perfectly fine. I also have a set of Crossmax SX wheels (2nd gen) that I've been beating on for 2.5 years so far without even needing to touch the spokes for tension. Those things are bomb proof, super stiff and light.

Now if Mavic could just iron out the bugs with their hub bearing preload system; they already fixed the freehub non-sense of old.