Quantcast

What's your favorite

Aug 25, 2011
West Milford, NJ, 'MERICA
I'm always looking for new bike gear and parts.

Was wondering what everyone loves and loved. Just for purpose sake. What I should maybe look into for new builds. Some products everyone loved!

What's was your favorite bike. Part. Gear, etc

Like a pink bike product picks.

I have my preferences already, but always wondered about new stuff. I love learning and hearing about different bike things

rav400

Monkey
Aug 31, 2009
The Right Coast
I have no preferance on fork brand. I have bikes with a marzocchi, manitou, fox and rock shox forks. When it comes to frames though, I've always tried to support companies that make/weld their frames in the US or Canada.

Aug 25, 2011
I have no preferance on fork brand. I have bikes with a marzocchi, manitou, fox and rock shox forks. When it comes to frames though, I've always tried to support companies that make/weld their frames in the US or Canada.

I personally love fox and manitou. I don't like rock shox anymore. And marzocchi I haven't had much time on so I can't say.

Frames, I like to support American companies. It's hard to do.

b.utters

Monkey
Mar 30, 2011
2010 Marzocchi 888 Evo Ti- Best invention since sliced bread.

Nukeproof Electrons (or the same pedal with any other brand slapped on it)- Super cheap,light, durable and good grip with longer pins.

Rennie 5.10's - Maaaaad grip and they are red. Too bad I can't find them anymore.

TLD D3 - Expensive but worth every $

rav400

Monkey
Aug 31, 2009
The Right Coast
I personally love fox and manitou. I don't like rock shox anymore. And marzocchi I haven't had much time on so I can't say.

Frames, I like to support American companies. It's hard to do.
Yeah, I may replace my revelation with the x-fusion with 34 mm sanctions when its available. I've owned three marz forks, and have never had problem with any of them. They've all been smooth and solid.

I've done pretty good supporting US and Canada companies. I recently purchased my first taiwanese frame since 1995. (hint, the new one is carbon)

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
troy lee D3, canfield crampon pedals (and i love the jedi as well) I also think the 888 evo blows everything outa the water

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
My van, it gets 23.5mpg has a frig, couch/bed holds 5+ bikes, shower and acts as a house. Cribs video to come...

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
Hmm let's see..
-My old pike 454, amazed at how well it rides after 4 years of abuse (although I admit I recently swapped out the stock rebound/compression unit for Revelation WC setup, and swapped to argyle lowers w/new fox skf or whatever seals)
-Juicy 7s for trail riding, they just seem to work for me, bleed them once a season, love the short lever throw.
-Renthal integra stem - super stiff, very sharp looking and dumb light, what's not to love? also super easy to adjust your bar angle(2 bolts vs the normal 4), but more annoying to change out your bar(6 bolts vs the normal 4)
-Hippy Killer/HT-Components/Deity Compound Pedals - Stupid cheap, light, grippy, and i love the shape, seems to work much better than my old deity decoys. Holding up good so far, I've ran them for about 3/4 of a season..

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Giro Helmets
Avalanche suspension
Shimano components
Maxxis DH tires
Fiveten shoes
I mostly love my HT plastic pedals, but the end cap did fall off on mine, though I never got the 3-4mm of side to side play that pinkbike claims, and I've had mine, sans end cap, for about a year now. I'm sure they ride harder than I do, but for pedals that are as cheap as anything else out there and grip like $150 pedals that weigh the same, duh.

Those are the parts that I can't live without, cause they just work and are so durable.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
lets see, my fav stuff.

maxxis tires.
my old a-frame pedals.
shimano brakes.
sunline v1 bars. love the sweep on 'em.
cane creek double barrel
park tools
velox rim tape
xprexo bikes. absolutely LOVE my furax.

other things i love:

fun rides with good friends
long solo XC rides
post ride grilling and beers
the awesome feeling you get when you leave work early to go ride
sitting on the chairlift, waiting for that first run of the day
riding pool (bmx)
waking up early and hitting the trails before anyone else

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
I mostly love my HT plastic pedals, but the end cap did fall off on mine, though I never got the 3-4mm of side to side play that pinkbike claims, and I've had mine, sans end cap, for about a year now. I'm sure they ride harder than I do, but for pedals that are as cheap as anything else out there and grip like $150 pedals that weigh the same, duh.
Yeah i had an endcap fall off as well, didn't have that 3-4mm of side play either..

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
Brands Marzocchi, Avalanche,Hope, Fiveten, Schwalbe, Shimano, Mavic, Renthal, Hadley, DT, DW-link, Royal, THE.

Im usually loyal to a few brands :p

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
-Maxxis tires
-Straitline parts, look good and never had an issue with them
-My Knolly DT, solid and reliable from day 1.
-Chromag steel hard tails along their parts
-Shimano brakes/cranks (usually Saint)
-The Lyric on my Chromag
-Sram shifters/derailleurs
-Stans - tubeless has been a life saver for me.

Last edited:

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
other things i love:

fun rides with good friends
long solo XC rides
post ride grilling and beers
the awesome feeling you get when you leave work early to go ride
sitting on the chairlift, waiting for that first run of the day
riding pool (bmx)
waking up early and hitting the trails before anyone else
nice list!

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Saint cranks (stiffest, most solid feeling cranks I've ever used)
DT star ratchets (even I can't fock these things up)
XT brakes (amazing power, decent price, low maintenence, no f'ing lever play)
Time pedals (just tough as hell)
Chromag seatpost clamps (hooray for brass!)
Chromag saddles (comfortable and super durable, altho not real light)
KS dropper post (basically could not ride trail/AM without it now)

rav400

Monkey
Aug 31, 2009
The Right Coast
-Maxxis tires
-WTB saddles
-Floating pivot frames
-Chromag bars (I like all their parts really)
-Straitline (esp the silent guide)
-Answer pedals
-Fox gloves (they just seem to fit me best)
-Cheap goggles (replace after 1-2 season)
-KS dropper posts
-Cane Creek headsets
-Classic Pontiacs
-Micro/craft brews
-Chromoly hard tails
-Oury grips

0110-M-P

Monkey
Jun 1, 2009
Atlanta, GA
Marzocchi forks (giving the Dorado a go now though)
Mavic rims (EX721's going strong for 3 years now...light and strong)
Hope hubs
Shimano Saint cranks (a bit heavy, but I have never felt any flex)
Thompson seatposts
ODI Ruffian grips

More generic...
Steel hardtails (2001 Balfa Minuteman...11 years running)
Short stems
1X chainring setups

Aug 25, 2011
Renthal to start with. I love there products! Currently I have there 20mm fatbars. Great feeling and great looking. Also they are light and strong!

I have the Renthal integra stem as well. Light and super strong. Low profile black and gold design makes it amazing to look at too! It is 2 bolts to rotate bars forward or backward. However changing bars takes 6 bolts and it's a bit of a pain. But the pros easily outweigh the cons.

And I have the 36tooth chain ring. Although not noticeable it feels great. Looks great. And is nice and light

Beef Supreme

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2010
Hiding from the stupid
Good thread! I like hearing peoples faves. Here are a few of mine.

Shimano Clipless pedals
Easton Bars
Having a bunch of tires (Shout out to DHFs, Muddy Marys and Wet Screams)
DT Hubs
Shimano Shifters and Cranks
Slack trail bikes
VPP for pedaling
Horst Link for braking
5.10 and Sidi shoes
Long high country rides
Whistler

Aug 25, 2011
Yes yes shimano clueless pedals. I have the SPD on my XC rig with Sidi shoes and there are great. I have yet to have any problems with them!
I have time atac on my DH rig. Also love them. Keep me clipped in through a lot! Doesn't Unclip easily. That can be a good or bad thing. Rider preference.

Shimano FTW. I made the switch. I use to be a die hard SRAM fan. That changed. I broke my xo derailuer very fast. And my last year broke a lot of x7.
I gave up on SRAM and switched. So far so good. Love my saint cranks and my saint shifter and derailleur!

Aug 25, 2011
I have ruffians on my DJ bike. They are ok. I love my
SDG/ODI grips. I have them on my DH and they feel amazing! Those hands down are my favorite grip do far

Thomson posts good call! I always buy Thomson for my DH rigs!

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
Anything thomson is flawless

moved to staitline stems last year just because they are canadian and i have not been let down. I haven't tried their guide yet though so i can't comment on that, but the stems, pedals, levers are outstanding

Dobermann for steel hardtails- owned 3 of them, shipping delays but thats expected with custom work. Always a quick response when dealing with alain (this might have changed though since he left last fall)

Profile Bmx for 3 piece cranks, if you argue other wise you are a-le-retard

Hope hubs have treated me too well over the last 5 years

so thats really it for components, im willing to try anything new in pretty much all other categories.
Thomson
Straitline
Dobermann
Hope

Other likes.
Riding in the rain and wet
bombing fireroads
A cold beer at any time
fresh pair of slacks
a good orgy

Aug 25, 2011
times two.

also, riding when the snow just starts falling.
Agreed. Last year October 30 2011 at diablow it was the day before diabloween. That was one odd Saturday. The snow started coming down. By the end of the day I was riding in 2 feet of snow! It was super fun!

Also ya bombing fire roads and rain riding is always great! Rode through some massive rain storms. Platty included! That place in the rain is great!

Aug 25, 2011
times two.

also, riding when the snow just starts falling.
Agreed. Last year October 30 2011 at diablow it was the day before diabloween. That was one odd Saturday. The snow started coming down. By the end of the day I was riding in 2 feet of snow! It was super fun!

Also ya bombing fire roads and rain riding is always great! Rode through some massive rain storms. Platty included! That place in the rain is great!