Quantcast

What is your "other" passion or hobby???

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
So some of you know I have been on the IR list for a while now. Well since I haven't been able to ride my bike. I have had to take up other things to occupy my time. I recently starting fixing up my car but doing all the work myself. I also made the mistake of picking up a Rubics cube and now I'm determined to solve it on my own.

I have been trying to solve it for about a month now but so far I can only get about 75% of the way. My car on the other hand is coming along nicely and I have been able to do a lot of my own repairs and upgrades just using my knowledge of working on bikes for the last 15 years....any way...anyone feel like sharing??...D

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I just started snowboarding and it's a blast. I am also fixing up my project car, a '70 Porsche 914.

mtbvideo.net

Chimp
Feb 15, 2006
I am a graphic artist and photographer, but my new major project is a free website that'll provide coverage (videos) of the Mountain Bicycle Scene including 4X, Downhill, Dirt Jumping, Street basically whatever we can cover

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Snowboarding
Sea Kayaking
Brewing

I enjoy woodworking (I built my kayak and some furniture) but find I don't really have much time to do it anymore.

Enginerd A2

crappy
Feb 20, 2002
Ann Arbor, MI
Music - guitar, bass, etc., at least trying...
Not much snowboarding this season (well, none actually)
Travelling
Hockey

I haven't really had much spare time this winter, pretty busy with work and school - I almost consider my job a hobby, as I think about it all the time

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
mtbvideo.net said:
but my new major project is a free website that'll provide coverage (videos) of the Mountain Bicycle Scene
One of my new hobbies is to continue to differentiate mtbvideos.net from mtbvideo.net.

Enginerd A2

crappy
Feb 20, 2002
Ann Arbor, MI
johnbryanpeters said:
Forestry.
Industrial archaeology.
Reading.
Mechanical antiquities.
This is an intriguing list of hobbies. Industrial archaeology and mechanical antiquities, meaning you like cool old junk? We've got lots of that here in Detroit, some very interesting (and depressing) urban and industrial decay. Or perhaps you prefer objects which reached their evolutionary zenith well before the recent technological boom, such as bicycles, guitars, vacuum tube amplifiers, canoes, etc.

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
Photography. Videography. Drinking beer.

Driving.

Skiing

Windsurfing

Wakeboarding/Wakesurfing/Wakeskating

Sailing aka mooching time on other people's boats.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Curb Hucker said:
I have this

To go do this:

I enjoy metal fab too.
Dude, you SO would have love shuttling with us yesterday!!!!! That trail looked mellow compared to the stuff we put the Jeep through...Your ride would have ate up all the stuff we drove!!!

Enginerd A2 said:
This is an intriguing list of hobbies. Industrial archaeology and mechanical antiquities, meaning you like cool old junk? We've got lots of that here in Detroit, some very interesting (and depressing) urban and industrial decay. Or perhaps you prefer objects which reached their evolutionary zenith well before the recent technological boom, such as bicycles, guitars, vacuum tube amplifiers, canoes, etc.
Yes, I like old machines. I have a couple of hit-or-miss one lungers around, a 500 cc Curtiss motorcycle engine from sometime around 1900, and other artifacts and tools.

This geographical area has the remains of quite a number of lime kilns and blast furnaces and iron mines and there are many remains of water-powered mills. I had a John Deere styled Model B for quite a few years. There is in fact a wood and canvas canoe languishing in one of the garages, and a smattering of other boats.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
dirtjumpP.1 said:
ive been snowboarding for 8 years... i guess that makes biking more of a secondary hobby. either way i suppose
i think thats the same way for me. ive been riding seriously for about 2 years and ive been snowboarding for 11. i have jobs involving both activities so i guess they are 50/50 as my main hobby.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
maxyedor said:
Aside from mountain biking I like to ride road bikes. I'm a pro photog. but that started as a hobby. I also backcountry ski.

Oh and I have one of these. Mad props if you know where the pic was shot
Tell me pls. I desire to visit such a location.

Besides riding I ski, go "urban exploring", sex, drink...occasional bowl...you know. School? Is that another passion?

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Lesseeeeeee...

Photography, although I'm not into that for its own sake as much as I used to be.

SCUBA, but haven't been diving very much since 2001. Once I'm living someplace where the water is warm, I'll likely get back into it. I'm a fair-weather diver. I like comfort, pretty fish, and clear water...I'm not looking to search through murky, freezing water in search of a challenge.

Skiing; haven't been very into it for the last few years, but will be doing it as much as possible come next ski season. (And any spring skiing I can get in this season...gotta buy some gear, though.)

Paintball- just started doing it with some guys from work. It's fun, and I almost bought a gun and equipment, but then realized I won't keep up with it. I'm going to get an airsoft (BB) gun, though, just to practice some stuff for work without too much hassle.

Traveling? That's kind of an occupational thing now more than recreation, I suppose.

Looking to try some more sea kayaking (with the wife), and learning to river kayak.

Work's going to be pretty all-encompassing for the next few years, though. We'll see how much I have time for. Luckily, work's promising to be fun and interesting.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Got me a motorcycle, Suzuki SV650.
Skiing
Backpacking
Starting to pick up rock climbing
I like to see live music but staying up late kind of ruins the weekend for above activities.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Westy said:
I like to see live music but staying up late kind of ruins the weekend for above activities.
dublin was great for that...most headlining bands would be on by 9. i am far too old, and live too far from the city, to regularly go see bands which don't start playing until after 11PM.