Quantcast

What is your "other" passion or hobby???

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
Rock climbing when it's warm out (I don't like paying to use the wall)
acoustic guitar
I generally have music playing all the time
I find most outdoor activities entertaining
Restoring and detailing anything (cars, furniture, etc...)

mxer338

Monkey
May 9, 2005
CT
mtb started as a secondary hobby to moto but turned into a fulltime one.

now that i dont moto, i:
drum, play golf, and do other ****, but im really still looking for something i like as much as biking, anyone have a really cool hobby the wana suggest for me?

oh yeah, i used to do capoiera, however i lost interest but i still think its quite amazing

Trainwreck

Turbo Monkey
Aug 10, 2005
Med. to Well-Done in Phx
The biking is pretty much all consuming. Being married with children I'm only allowed one hobby.

I did manage to get out to see Rod Piazza and the Mighty Flyers today and snap a picture or two.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
Got into snowboarding beginning of january and acceled at it fast. Love it but nothing better then pinning it down some fresh dh tracks. Other stuff i do includes photography, graphic design (my major), reading, video games, and listening to and finding new music.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
I used to snowboard, both backcountry and lifts, but this year I havent touched it. Having a new puppy, work, and bike riding is more or less all Ive got time for. This summer I want to start climbing again, which I did alot in high school before this whole downhill thing took over my life and my bank account.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I wrench on about anything. I was big into 4x4 monster Toyota trucks, then older Chevy 4x4 trucks. Since I quit snowboarding about 6 years ago, I started working on muscle cars and street trucks.

I built a 1960 GMC truck, then I bought my 1969 Chevy that I am still working on now.

I also have 1996 Husaberg FC400 dirt bike that is wicked sweet that I do all my own work on as well. I haven't taken it to the sand yet, but I enjoy trails in the woods a lot.

Aside from that I focus at work on software and network security exploits. I was a hobby when I was a kid, but now I get paid to break sh!t and it's nice. Pays well enough to.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I am also looking to start a chopper project after I clear my garag out this spring. I want to build a new schoo/old school combo bike. Sort of the look I am headed with my truck. A classic look with modern technology.

My goal is a hard tail frame with inverted fork and fuel injection. Street bike power with old school flair, like spokes and white wall tires. I will be funky, that's for sure. Either Ducatti or Buell based donor, I know when I buy the bike to start with :D

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
blue said:
Tell me pls. I desire to visit such a location.

Besides riding I ski, go "urban exploring", sex, drink...occasional bowl...you know. School? Is that another passion?
I really want to go. I would have so much fun there (not sarcastic).

>Biking-10 years (mtb-8 years)
>Snowboarding - 6 years
>Skateboarding- 6 years

>Photography/graphic design- I'm starting a little photo buisiness and working on the website right now.

>Videography- starting to make my first movie

>I listen to music, don't make music.

>Ridemonkey

>Offroading/working on truck (when I get truck)

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
maxyedor said:
It's in Ventura Calif. There was an oil refinery and a fertalizer plant next to each other. Now it's just a realy big toxic ooze of a good time.
I thought it looked familiar. I want to ride and take pictures there sometime.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
mtnbrider said:
I thought it looked familiar. I want to ride and take pictures there sometime.
I'm not sure I would ride there, aside from all the broken glass, I realy wouldn't want to get the dirt flung on my skin. I was using plastic drop cloths for any shot where I was kneeling or lying on the ground.

Make sure you aren't undercutting anybody on photography, that's kind of a pet peive of mine.:redhot:

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Oh...I didn't know it was that bad.

What did you mean by undercutting? I think pictures of of old industrial stuff are cool, like yours.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I wouldn't do that; never said that about anything doing that. I will sell stuff for average price. If you don't want me to get pics there because you did, fine, I won't.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
maxyedor said:
No go ahead and shoot there just watch out for the ooze on the ground. I meerly said riding there might not be a bright idea. Shooting there is realy cool, just bring tons of cf cards/ film.
I would bring have to bring a bunch of film. There would be so many cool things to shoot. That stuff with a bright colored sunset in the background would be awesome.

BTW, I really like those pictures of your car there. Its a cool setting for that!!

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
mtnbrider said:
I would bring have to bring a bunch of film. There would be so many cool things to shoot. That stuff with a bright colored sunset in the background would be awesome.

BTW, I really like those pictures of your car there. Its a cool setting for that!!
One thing to keep in mind if you want sunset shots is that it is free to get induring the day, but at night it is $100 per night. I'm not sure when that cut-off point is, and the hills may block the great sunset light anyway. If i have time this week I'll scope it out.

Now that we have completly hijacked this thread, back to the regularly scheduled programing.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
DaveW said:
Skiing.... thinking of getting back into racing again.

And Surf rescue.
that's a cool pic!

i have a bunch of hobbies:

photography: www.toshiclark.com

music: i play trumpet in a quintet (www.blackdiamondbrass.com), a community orchestra (www.psso.org) and whatever freelance gigs i can get. i haven't composed in years but completing a fugue cycle is still on my global list.

skiing: currently at 14 (resort) days on the season, aiming for 20. in the future i'd like to get into backcountry skiing.

reading: 2nd year of med school has kind of killed my desire to read, but i used to read around 3000 pages a month (no typo) i'm slowly working through "the seekers" by daniel boorstin.

autos: i'm competing a more or less full season of autocross in the street modified class in 3 local series. also on the calendar are a few rallycrosses and a hpde (high performance driver education day, a track day).

add to that being a general nerd and you see that my days are full.

:)

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
maxyedor said:
One thing to keep in mind if you want sunset shots is that it is free to get induring the day, but at night it is $100 per night. I'm not sure when that cut-off point is, and the hills may block the great sunset light anyway. If i have time this week I'll scope it out.

Now that we have completly hijacked this thread, back to the regularly scheduled programing.
Is it some kind of (offroad) park or something? Why do they charge? Why, other than shooting, would people go there?

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
Rock Climbing: I climbed my first 5.9 on Friday, been climbing since December.

Art: I went to Art School, and am currently painting a nudie pic (wanted to paint a figure, and the only references I had were Playboy)

Hashing:It's a drinking club with a running problem. I have never been a person that goes running for the sake of running.... this is lots of fun.

Caving: I love being in places that other people haven't been, and it's a great fun.. Bats are cool

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Skiing. Been skiing for about 7 years and still have a lot of learning to do.

Deck hockey. Basically, organized street hockey. I played from age 15 to 25, took a 7 year break, and started playing again just over a year ago. I play deck hockey better than I do anything else (including MTB).

Working out. For some people, it's a painful chore. I enjoy it though.

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
I Are Baboon said:
Deck hockey. Basically, organized street hockey. I played from age 15 to 25, took a 7 year break, and started playing again just over a year ago. I play deck hockey better than I do anything else (including MTB).
OMG HOCKEY!!!!! No, never in Avon. I didn't think I would ever find a hockey player up here. Don't come to AOF, you would NEVER fit in.:rolleyes:
Jump on the bandwagon.:rofl:

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
ThePriceSeliger said:
OMG HOCKEY!!!!! No, never in Avon. I didn't think I would ever find a hockey player up here. Don't come to AOF, you would NEVER fit in.:rolleyes:
Jump on the bandwagon.:rofl:
I'm from Southington, numbnuts. :D I was playing hockey long before moving to Simsbury. Besides, guys who grew up in the Avon area would never "slum" to deck hockey. :D It's like what softball is to baseball.