Quantcast

WC#6 Val D' Isere (FRA)

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
So they apparently won't keep up a replay on this one without any announcment or am I just too stupid to find it?

SCARY

Not long enough
Why do they make it so friggen hard to watch the replays of these races?.It should be as easy as it was last year.
As soon as the live race is done,just play it over again.Is that some mystery?So irritating.

Dear Mr.Redbull,
I promise to buy the entire series on DVD,for $40+when you decide to sell it in December .I promise,Ok?Just show the replay for a couple days/hrs after the race.Thanks,anominous

Last edited:

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
It's even more irritating that a mulit million dollar marketing budget company like redbull does it much worse than freecaster apart from the unstable broadcaste ever did.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Just a few seasons ago it was pretty unthinkable that we'd get any coverage of the live event, let alone a replay a few hours after it happened.

All the people who say 'free coverage is ****, I'll pay for it' must be struggling to remember the years of magazine coverage and an end of season VHS as the only way to know what was actually happening.

I know that the argument of 'if it's been recorded, why not just replay it straight away' exists, but that's not how sponsorship works is it

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
No sure what you guys are talking about, I've always been able to watch the replays shortly after the race. This has been the one exception this year.

Finding the replay on Red Bull's website though, is a whole other story.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
Why do they make it so friggen hard to watch the replays of these races?.It should be as easy as it was last year.
As soon as the live race is done,just play it over again.Is that some mystery?So irritating.

Dear Mr.Redbull,
I promise to buy the entire series on DVD,for $40+when you decide to sell it in December .I promise,Ok?Just show the replay for a couple days/hrs after the race.Thanks,anominous
this is the first race this season where the replay wasn't available immediately after the live broadcast. i wasn't with 'real' internet this morning but did i read there were some issues early on with the broadcast? it is possible they had an issue which is causing a delay on the replay. fwiw the redbull app worked perfectly on a 3g connection.

It's even more irritating that a mulit million dollar marketing budget company like redbull does it much worse than freecaster apart from the unstable broadcaste ever did.
much worse how? IMO the unstable freecaster broadcast was the worst issue you could run into with this sort of thing - how is redbull not living up to the freecaster standard? the feeds have been nearly perfect, with this exception the replay has been available immediately after the race and they put together a pretty decent recap afterwards as well. what more do people expect?

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
I NEED A REPLAY! Crap...I already saw the results while trying to find the replay on redbull's site. If anyone finds a replay, please update!

SCARY

Not long enough
I always have a problem finding a replay.Why dont they say a replay will play at. X time?Why do I need to have a geotag to find it?

It's 2012,we should have been grateful for what we got 2 years ago,but that was 2 years ago.No more...Redbull has a billion times more money than freecaster,I don't need to be grateful.I'm drinking Monster until these guys shape up.

b.utters

Monkey
Mar 30, 2011
^ All I get with that link is some ****ty video that goes for 1:41. Is anyone actually getting a replay with the link?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
The replay was up this morning. I watched a bit of it at around 8am pacific. I paused with about 20 riders left and went for ride.

When I came back and literally just hit play on the exact same window, it was that lame redbull tv thing looping.

It was up there. Some dumbass just screwed up the code when they put that next video up. It's sunday. They'll probably figure it out tomorrow.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
No it took some searching around the redbull site, but it was there. You had to click through a bunch of links and find the Val d'isere link, it wasn't obvious.

Juddos

Chimp
Feb 13, 2010
The replay is not currently there...

BUT

If you want to find the link for it. Best is go to:

http://www.redbull.tv/Redbulltv

Click LIVE

There is three icons under the picture/video feed.

Click the date (Mar 14)

Then find it in the calander...

30/07/2012

For those with smart TV's, you cannot watc replays, only live due to the TV app being ****!

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
much worse how? IMO the unstable freecaster broadcast was the worst issue you could run into with this sort of thing - how is redbull not living up to the freecaster standard? the feeds have been nearly perfect, with this exception the replay has been available immediately after the race and they put together a pretty decent recap afterwards as well. what more do people expect?
- warner was way more entertaining on freecaster
- he had riders in the booth who just came down the track
- track walks/previews by warner
- showed the whole race, not just the 30 fastest riders

Renting/buying streaming infrastructure is just a money issue which should be no problem for rb whereas freecaster is a small company. Apart from the stable broadcast red bull didn't seem to invest in more camera positions. In some races this year the coverage was really bad almost worse than last year.

Freecaster did a good job considering their financial capabilities and the stream worked for me most times. If it crashed I just could watch the whole race afterwards.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I watched it live yesterday morning. The broadcast via their website did not start on time, did not appear to be in HD plus the flow of the broadcast was "jerky" (paused a lot). Their broadcast via their app started on time and was better quality. WTF?! My wife came down to check in on me and I had my laptop connected to my 52" HD TV yet I was watching on the 10" iPad. She was quite confused. I was just happy to watch.

I don't mind showing only the top 20 or so, but the coverage has to be better (more cameras) and so does the quality (Must be in HD). Is it that hard for the broadcast on their website to match the app and vice versa?

I did like how they showed replays of crashes and more impressive parts of racers runs seemingly "real time". Ropelato for sure was a blast to watch.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
I watched it live yesterday morning. The broadcast via their website did not start on time, did not appear to be in HD plus the flow of the broadcast was "jerky" (paused a lot). Their broadcast via their app started on time and was better quality. WTF?! My wife came down to check in on me and I had my laptop connected to my 52" HD TV yet I was watching on the 10" iPad. She was quite confused. I was just happy to watch.

I don't mind showing only the top 20 or so, but the coverage has to be better (more cameras) and so does the quality (Must be in HD). Is it that hard for the broadcast on their website to match the app and vice versa?

I did like how they showed replays of crashes and more impressive parts of racers runs seemingly "real time". Ropelato for sure was a blast to watch.
I'm not sure about the issues some of you were having. I watched the entire coverage live on my 52" streaming from my ipad flawlessly. I literally turned on the Redbull app at 8:15 hit the button to transfer the picture to my TV, layed the ipad down and watched nonstop for 2 hours without one incident.

I thought redbull did a great job with the coverage, Camera placement was awesome, I felt like I was watching 80-90% of the entire track.

As for a replay, I'm just happy we have some sort of coverage this year.

Matchew

Monkey
May 26, 2006
NH / Mass (ugh)
Update in the fine print of the replay page:

We apologise for the ongoing technical issues on our website. The VOD (video on demand) of the weekend's UCI MTB World Cup finals from Val d'Isère will be available as soon as we have fixed the problem. In the meantime we're sorry for any inconvenience caused.
At least they have acknowledged the problem, hopefully it'll be up by tonight...

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
- warner was way more entertaining on freecaster
- he had riders in the booth who just came down the track
- track walks/previews by warner
- showed the whole race, not just the 30 fastest riders

Renting/buying streaming infrastructure is just a money issue which should be no problem for rb whereas
freecaster is a small company. Apart from the stable broadcast red bull didn't seem to invest in more camera positions. In some races this year the coverage was really bad almost worse than last year.

Freecaster did a good job considering their financial capabilities and the stream worked for me most times. If it crashed I just could watch the whole race afterwards.
Try to read some of the previous WC threads this has been discussed before and some explanation to the change in format has been given. If you really want to see changes maybe start a separate thread.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
It's alive!

The VOD of the weekend's UCI MTB World Cup finals from Val d'Isère is now available, but there are still problems at the very end to be fixed. In the meantime we're sorry for any inconvenience caused.
Mostly?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
As a point of interest & at the risk of sounding more argumentative than I mean to... how many bike related spinal injuries have you heard of were a result of impact rather than compression/over-rotation? I haven't heard of any...

Back protectors seem to solve a nonexistent problem. Leatts address a more real and present danger.

Good point on the elbow protectors (shades of grey)... I didn't know that.

A local rider broke his spine and is bound to a wheelchair because he fell on a spiky rock on a pumptrack. Instantaneous loss of leg control. It's not hard to imagine how much more likely it is to happen on a rocky track.

As for elbows - break off the end of your elbow bone or injure the joint and you will be away for a looooong time. Had a few friends do that and it can take up to 1.5 seasons depending on how bad it is to heal.

Not to mention many of the mentioned boo-boos may not take you out of the race but they may slow you down. Landing on the rocks with your ribs and cracking them or a really deep wound in a bad place will slow you down as show by previous results of some racers. We really need body armor development. My 04 dainese is actually more comfortable than the new alpinestars I bought. No improvement at all. That makes me sad.

As for the race it was mad though the track was too sketch in some places and some injuries could have been avoided.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Been a good month for him. Didn't he just win something here on RM. A National podium and now a Boxxer.:thumb:
Yeah, won the Teva Links shoes ofr a pic of my brutal wreck at Nats last year. I'd take the podium last year and buy a pair of shoes if given the choice.

The fork...well, no monetary # can ever be put on how many forks I could have earned if I'd stayed off the net. :D

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Anyone know how Nick Beer's doing after his front flip attempt? That was.... monumental? I really hope he was ok caus' watching it live was scary.

It was a great race to watch, and I'm super pumped for Worlds and Hafjell...