Quantcast

WC#6 Val D' Isere (FRA)

UncleHowie

Chimp
Feb 9, 2011
Switzerland
We really need body armor development. My 04 dainese is actually more comfortable than the new alpinestars I bought. No improvement at all. That makes me sad.
Have you tried POC stuff? Expensive, but so comfortable. Since I have their protectors (spine, elbow and knee), I wear them every time I ride.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
Have you tried POC stuff? Expensive, but so comfortable. Since I have their protectors (spine, elbow and knee), I wear them every time I ride.
This is actually what I was going to say. I quit wearing body armor years ago (although sometimes I think I might start back) but POC seems to have it dialed in pretty good. I like the idea of that vest they have.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
The coverage from Redbull seems pretty alright, although I would much rather see only the top 3 women and maybe a recap on the rest of them. I'm sure all of them would out ride me on any trail but almost all of them are boring on course (Atherton, Hannah, Pugin, and Ragot being the usual exceptions) 35 minutes of womens coverage is a bit much.

Also the interview guy(s) are the worst can they not come up with someone to ask some legit questions???

fortenndu

Turbo Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
Boone, NC
Hasn't Brook talked a lot about how he was having suspension problems earlier in the season? Also sounded like he hasn't been having fun on the bike until recently, it's great that he's enjoying it again and killing it.

RayB

Monkey
Jan 31, 2008
Seattle
Martin Whiteley (Brook's manager) is pretty much in bed with Fox (ALL the riders he manages and his WC team are riding Fox product) so it's very likely that Brook is riding a 888 chassis retro-fitted with 40 internals -- like the poster above me mentioned, there's a pic of it on Vital from the last WC.

Shouldn't surprise anybody -- Marzocchi isn't going to be around for very much longer.

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
there have been pics from last world cup showing fox 40 adjuster knobs on the forks too.
so it seems they basically are using fox tech because of marzocchis lack of performance/service/commitment
That picture of the 40 knobs was from St Anne. I took my eagle eye to the Mondraker pit in Windham and tall of the 888s looked like 888s. I can't say I noticed what shocks they were running though.

Speaking of shocks though, the Labyrinth team were running BOS Air shocks on the rear of their bikes at both races.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I'm not sure about the issues some of you were having. I watched the entire coverage live on my 52" streaming from my ipad flawlessly. I literally turned on the Redbull app at 8:15 hit the button to transfer the picture to my TV, layed the ipad down and watched nonstop for 2 hours without one incident.

I thought redbull did a great job with the coverage, Camera placement was awesome, I felt like I was watching 80-90% of the entire track.

As for a replay, I'm just happy we have some sort of coverage this year.

You just nailed it, along with the comment by Redbull. I hooked up their streaming website (Redbull.com/bike) from my PC (not iPad) to my HD TV. That was the bad quality footage. You hooked up your iPad and app streaming dealio to your HD TV (something I need to look into) and that was the good/HD quality footage. That is why I was watching it on my iPad instead of HD TV. I hope that makes more sense. Anyways, hope the replay is in the good quality footage.

And my comment about cameras...seems like they use some cameras some time and some the other. Why? Just show most of the course consistently. If you're only gonna show the 20% of the riders show 80% of the course! The 20/80 rule wins again.... :D

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Martin Whiteley (Brook's manager) is pretty much in bed with Fox (ALL the riders he manages and his WC team are riding Fox product) so it's very likely that Brook is riding a 888 chassis retro-fitted with 40 internals -- like the poster above me mentioned, there's a pic of it on Vital from the last WC.

Shouldn't surprise anybody -- Marzocchi isn't going to be around for very much longer.
It would be really interesting to see what they're running. And why. I only can imagine he runs the RC4 due to the prehistorical rebound damping Zocchi dampers have. And I think there is a serious lack of support for the racers. It's not enough to send a few forks to them...

Didn't they also use air springs in their forks? Saw pics of the right leg where he had a valve on it.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
This is actually what I was going to say. I quit wearing body armor years ago (although sometimes I think I might start back) but POC seems to have it dialed in pretty good. I like the idea of that vest they have.
I have their elbows and helmet. Really want to try body armor but the price is nuts.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
And I think there is a serious lack of support for the racers. It's not enough to send a few forks to them...

Didn't they also use air springs in their forks? Saw pics of the right leg where he had a valve on it.
i guess this truck was used at all then?

if there was a air valve on it, they might have been playing with air preload like some of the older 888's

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
The fox adjuster knob was probably a relict from when they experimented with cockpit height as a temporary solution for the zero offset stem because the original adjuster knobs built too high.

It isn't that easy to just fit a 40 damper in a 888 as some people assume. It's too long for instance. It would be way easier to fit an avalanche cartridge or tune the rc3.

All members of the team are running rc4's tough. It seems that Mz just doesn't care much since they have other problems right now. I also think that endusers interpret way too much into the preferrence of products from pro-riders. Lacondeguy for instance just uses what he gets into his hands but rides Marzocchi most of the time.

Sram and Fox have full on race support on all of the races so sponsored riders get their forks/shocks serviced constantly. I think that's not the case for marzocchi.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
i guess this truck was used at all then?

if there was a air valve on it, they might have been playing with air preload like some of the older 888's
Oh, I didn't think that they are there with a truck. I was only assuming. Sorry.
The pic above of the fork is an old one before the season started. Bulldog doesn't wear TLD helmets anymore. There's also a Rocco in the pic. But you already see, that they changed the top caps to fit the bars with zero offset.

I definitely think the 888s are absolutely awesome forks. Not sure on the rear shocks though. All the peeps I know who ride a Roco have problems with the rebound damping. It's either too fast or too slow.

Also the CRC team runs CCDBs. But that doesn't indicate that much I think.

Stoked for the Bulldog. Great rider to watch, always smiling and tough as nails!
Hope he gets a lot more wins under his belt :thumb:

Last edited:

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory

What a bucket of nonsense, MZ is not going anywhere (Unless you need an MX Shiver in the US, then you may be in for a hassle).

MZ has always been competitive, and is as much top 3 as Fox or RS, why the haterade?

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
What a bucket of nonsense, MZ is not going anywhere (Unless you need an MX Shiver in the US, then you may be in for a hassle).

MZ has always been competitive, and is as much top 3 as Fox or RS, why the haterade?
I don't know how much am I allowed to say but they had some issues this/for the next year.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
I don't know how much am I allowed to say but they had some issues this/for the next year.
Im not an employee, but friends with 2 - they have issues in the MX division, not mountain - 2013 MTB is on the map, no one will commit to more. It has absolutely ZERO to do with MTB sales or performance.

Tmeyer

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
SLC

Another factory switch this year and no OEM business in 2013 usually = trouble...

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
^^
When was the last time Zoch had a significant OEM deal? I guess I recall a fair number of bikes being spec'd with ROCOs (air & coil) awhile back, but I don't remember many OEM fork offerings.

Maybe they're shooting for the Manitou business model?

Regardless, I obviously hope Mr. Huck is correct, as I absolutely love my 2010 888 EVO and new 55 CR.

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
So Brook didn't stay with the zero stem then...

PS - I also did ipad with Redbull app to TV with no problems, although a little more pixelated than past broadcasts. In the past I found the laptop to give a better picture - this week it had no picture! Glitches aside, I have enjoyed Redbull's broadcasts this year. I think the format is spot on. I miss a bit of Rob's colour, but at least I don't have to worry what he's going to say next while my family is watching...

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Another factory switch this year and no OEM business in 2013 usually = trouble...
Marz lower models are not produced for 2013. Marz may have not been big on expensive oem but the 55R was a very popular OEM fork. Same for 66RV.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Gotta say, with all the bltching and moaning about no wooded sections, this is the only race I can think of where even through cameras, it really seemed like we got to watch the top 20's ENTIRE run. That was pretty sweet. Like the track or not, having a race in a big open area like that was awesome.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
Gotta say, with all the bltching and moaning about no wooded sections, this is the only race I can think of where even through cameras, it really seemed like we got to watch the top 20's ENTIRE run. That was pretty sweet. Like the track or not, having a race in a big open area like that was awesome.
word...although the replay was what, a whole day later...this was by far the best race coverage yet, essentially full runs. Man people have forgotten quickly how ****tty coverage was only 2 years ago. Whine whine whine

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011

Pedro, the technician who prepared the Brook's fork in Val d'Isere is in Pila with Ms Mondraker team to make tests. All riders are testing a new bike and suspension ;-)
I bet they test the new Fox internals. ;)